The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 22, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Genepix

Holster suggestions for Sig P226

I just ordered a custom gun belt and now would like suggestions for a owb holster to be used for cc- untucked shirt, jacket,etc. Anyone out there have recommendations re: nylon/leather/other materials? I have a great Galco leather for a revolver, and a couple of pocket holsters in both leather and nylon for my j-frames, but am looking for some thoughts out there. Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Gene
Old December 23, 2012, 02:12 AM   #2
cheezhed

Do not get a bianchi 7001 series accumold thumb snap holster. You will never
get a belt to fit properly in the slot. There is simply not enough space for a normal thickness belt to slide through.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3
BarryLee

I have three of the Safariland 6378 ALS holster for SIG P229, Glock G26 and HK USP 40. They come with a paddle as well as a belt loop attachment. I use the belt loop attachment and it rides pretty close to the body for an OWB. The locking mechanism is operated by your thumb and is pretty easy to use.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 23, 2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Genepix

Thanks for the recommendations- all good.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:16 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Top holsters for a SIG Sauer P226 pistol....

There are a few top holsters out there for the P226 line. Be sure to ask if the rig will properly fit a P226R model or 1913 rail if that's the SIG P226 version you own.
I'd check www.Miltsparks.com www.safariland.com www.blackhawk.com www.mitchrosen.com www.blade-tech.com www.comholsters.com www.kirkpatrickleather.com www.highnoonholsters.com www.donhume.com . Other popular holster makers include; Alessi, Galco, Ted Blocker, Greg Kramer, Mernickle, Bulman.

The Safariland SFS & ALS holsters are well engineered. The SERPA brand is fast and secure too. If you want a high quality leather rig, the Kramer horsehide is a good choice. Many "armed professionals" use Kramer, Milt Sparks & Mitch Rosen gear.

Clyde
Old December 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Genepix

Clyde- The Blackhawk Serpa CQC or Sportster Serpa look like what I need, but I am hearing some discussion as to fit of the railed vs non-railed 226's. Mine is a newer E2 with rail. Any thoughts or should I try to find one to try out in person?
Old December 23, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7
ROSANGHAL

I second ClydeFrog's recommendation for you to check out Milt Sparks holsters. All my carry guns are carried in Sparks holsters.

Before you look any further at the Serpa holsters. I recommend you do a search on issues and problems people have had with them. The issues have even had the Serpa holster banned at FLETC. I also believe in IDPA competition. I am not involved with IDPA but there were a few hits on IDPA banning the holster.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:34 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

SERPAs, 1913 rails, holsters....

I'd contact Blackhawk's customer service or LE sales office after the major holidays. I think they sell a regular SERPA for the R or rail type SIG Sauer models but check first.
FWIW; I bought a new SERPA holster(left hand) for my full size M&P 9x19mm with 0 problems. A few ranges & agencies have knocked the Blackhawk SERPAs but I think it's a training/operator issue.
The main point is NOT to pull the trigger when you holster your sidearm.
If it's a big problem, look at a SFS or ALS model. Safariland has been a long time source for holsters & gear to 1,000s of armed professionals.

The Kramer, Milt Sparks & Mitch Rosen lines are custom but will last years.

Clyde
Old December 24, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Genepix

Good info- thanks gents- and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Genepix

Clyde- Good reco- got the Serpa and could not be happier- all good....
Old January 1, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

No problem....

Your very welcome.
I purchased my left hand SERPA holster in late 2011 from www.Natchezss.com for around $28.00 USD. I had no issues with it & like the fact you could adjust it.

Now some armed professionals & instructors bad-mouth the Blackhawk SERPAs saying it can break or be damaged in extreme conditions(dirt, sand, mud, snow, etc). This may be true. If I were working in these places, I'd get a UM92 holster or a Safariland SFS. Safariland SFS & ALS holsters are in use with many special ops & PMCs in SW Asia.
The SERPA concealed holster should do fine for general, armed citizen use.

Stay safe & stay legal,
Clyde