The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 21, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
willrussellville

stun gun

I know very little (actually nothing) about stun guns. But after reading through this thread "Interesting encounter - advice, please." , which I found very interesting, I wonder about the effectiveness of this product. I did not want to hijack the other thread with this question, How good are these products? They work great in the movie but what about real life? I believe some LEO carry?

sorry, here is link to other thread http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441655

Last edited by willrussellville; February 21, 2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add link
Old February 21, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
raimius

Well, there are many types of "stun guns." Some are better than others. Tazers are probably the best known and respected.

For the Tazer:
As long as everything works as advertized, it is almost instantly incapacitating for almost every person. (Nothing is perfect.)
The potential problems for tazers are limited range, 1 shot cartridge, and if both probes don't pierce the skin, it doesn't work. (Most tazers can be used as a contact stun-gun as well.)
Old February 22, 2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Skans

One thing about stun guns - they are easier to ban than guns. If you want one, buy it now. I don't believe that they are as ineffective as some folks make them out to be. Just another tool in the belt.
Old February 22, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
egor20

Just don't try it on a moose

Roped moose not affected by Taser attempt

February 15, 2011
Fairbanks Daily News Miner

FAIRBANKS — Biologists with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game have failed in their attempts to Taser a cow moose roaming a Fairbanks neighborhood with a rope around its neck, so they decided to let nature take its course.

http://truthnottasers.blogspot.com/2...-by-taser.html

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 22, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Jeff F

Contact type stun guns can be very effective, but you have to use it properly. If you just give someone a quick little zap they will recover pretty quick. If you have to use one you have to go on the attack with it and keep shocking, 10 to 30 seconds should do it. Exposed skin on the neck and throat are good targets. After you do the deed, leave, retreat, do not hang around.
If you are going to go the stun gun route buy a good one, don't bet your life on a $19.99 stun gun from behind the counter at the local jiffy mart.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Skans

Quote:
If you are going to go the stun gun route buy a good one, don't bet your life on a $19.99 stun gun from behind the counter at the local jiffy mart.
And that's the problem thats always held me back from buying a stun gun. I have tried, and tried and tried to research which stun guns are actually well made and most effective. I know that you can't go by the "2 million" volts information. But, I have yet to figure out an honest way to compare them.

See, with guns, you have forums like this one - we learn valuable information and get information from everyone's experiences. We learn about "torture tests", and effectiveness of calibers and ammo. Lots of information about training and how to properly carry and use guns. Try doing that research on stunguns and most of what you will find is a bunch of hyped up hokey BS.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Jeff F

Skans, your last post is on the money. All I can say is Taser has been making them for a long time, contact as well as the air powered and IMO are a cut above the rest.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:39 PM   #8
willrussellville

LEO opininion??

I started this question just as curiosity. I now am questioning as the above, how do I know it will work. I believe LEO actually use it on each other during training, could one or two or two of you comment?
Old February 22, 2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Skans

The air powered tasers are too bulky, cumbersome, and just look difficult to use. It's 20 times easier for me to just carry my AMT .45 backup which is much more effective anyway.

Well, this thread might get shut down - not really gun related, but before it does, if anyone can point those of us interested to a user-based forum that discusses stun guns, I'd appreciate it.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:18 AM   #10
atlctyslkr

What about the legalities of carrying/using a stun gun? I don't know every state's laws but I would think that in some cases a firearm might be legal to carry but a stun gun would not be?
Old February 23, 2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Ben Towe

For someone living where you cannot carry a handgun (i.e. New England, West Coast), a taser could be a viable option. As far as legality, illegal or not, a Taser or stun gun is non-lethal and therefore would be viewed with much less prejudice than an illegal handgun, in my opinion. Look up the tasered bull on YouTube if you want to see effectiveness.