The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 19, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
aeonrevolution

Meet n' Greet!

Just wanted to say hello to everybody.

I'm a long time reader of rifle forums, yet I never have owned a rifle until today. I'm 21 and figured it was way past due for me to get acquainted

I went for a Ruger 10/22 in the Walnut finish with the blued barrel. I'll be going out tomorrow with my buddy who just got back from Afghanistan to learn how to shoot

Wish me luck and a good time!

Any funny stories on people's first time shooting a rifle are more than welcome. I'm sure I'll have some to report back on.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:07 AM   #2
jsmaye

A 10/22 is a great way to get started. It can certainly put a dent in your ammunition budget. It's also a great platform for modification and customization, if that's your thing.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:09 AM   #3
aeonrevolution

That is what led me to buy it. It has room for growth.

On another note, should I return the Thunderbolt ammo they sold me with it? I did some hunting around on the forums and it doesn't sound like it is very good...erm....quality.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
jsmaye

Buy all the different ammo you can get your hands on. Shoot what works best in your gun. It's as simple as that.

The thing about forums is - somebody will post stating that Brand X's ammo causes constant FTF's and FTE's and when it does come out of the barrel, its more likely to hit his hat then the 10X ring. Another poster will cite sub-MOA after 1000 perfectly-cycled rounds. After a several dozen posts, the pendulum pretty much swings back to the middle.
Old August 19, 2008, 08:28 AM   #5
pesta2

I shake you warmly by the hand.
Old August 19, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
sureshots

Wise Choice

You made the perfect choice to get you started. I hope you fall in love with shooting and this is your first rifle of many more to come. Please get involved in HUNTING as our numbers are on the decline. Good Luck and happy SHOOTING!!!!!!
Old August 19, 2008, 10:34 AM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Nicely played. My 10/22's ate up all the different brands I tryed.
Also be advised-using amps that go to 11 at full capacity can cause brain trauma. Just look at those guys from spinal tap.
Old August 19, 2008, 10:35 AM   #8
FireMax

Welcome Aeonrevolution.
Old August 19, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
ndking1126

Welcome to the sport and the forum!

I remember the first time I went shooting was with my dad and a bolt .22lr. I was shooting at big coffee cans at about 15 feet. I was about 6 or 7 and I thought I was something special because I could hit the can! Woohoo!! Lol, life was so much more simple when you were a kid

Be sure to tell your friend "thanks!" for his service overseas. I, for one, appreciate his service to our country. My father is a chaplain in the Army (retiring with 26 yrs next month) and I spent 6 years of my life overseas. My father-in-law is a JAG office (Col) and said the Army is going to have to kick him out as he will never willingly leave the military. While I never joined and spent time on the battlefield myself, I do have at least an idea of what military life is like.
Old August 19, 2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Pahoo

Quote:
Welcome to the party !!!
Good choice on the 10/22 and you are sure to catch the bug. As far as the Thunderbolts, I have been one that does not prefer this ammo. If you can return it without much hassle, do so. Otherwise I would not worry about it as I believe that the new Bolts might be better. Eventually you will be comfortable with couple of brands. I think they call this "A learning Curve". It's a process that never ends. Have a great time!!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 19, 2008, 11:19 AM   #11
aeonrevolution

Thanks guys! All great tips and stuff so far.

Last minute question: Is there any sort of clothing I should NOT wear? I was just going to wear either jeans/t-shirt or sandals/khaki shorts/t-shirt. And sunglasses. Does it matter?

I read how some people were saying not to wear collared shirts because if you get some brass flying wild it may go down your shirt. Just curious.

Oh. And is it too early to want to change out my stock and barrel for something nicer?
Old August 19, 2008, 11:31 AM   #12
FireMax

Quote:
Thanks guys! All great tips and stuff so far.

Last minute question: Is there any sort of clothing I should NOT wear? I was just going to wear either jeans/t-shirt or sandals/khaki shorts/t-shirt. And sunglasses. Does it matter?

I read how some people were saying not to wear collared shirts because if you get some brass flying wild it may go down your shirt. Just curious.
I've never paid much attention to the clothing I wear to the range except that I expect to get a little dirty and sweaty, so I wouldn't wear anything nice, just jeans and a tee-shirt would be fine.

Some ranges have restrictions against wearing camouflage clothing so check with the range before you wear camo.

As for protective eyewear, I use ballistic tested anzi standard Z87.1 rated high impact resistant glasses. They make all kinds that look like regular sunglasses and I recommend impact rated lenses very highly. If you ever experience a punctured primer or a head space problem and get gas blow back, you will be glad that you had the high impact rated glasses. Protect your eyes and ears!

Read the rules at your range and always practice high standards of safety consciousness.
Old August 19, 2008, 11:43 AM   #13
davlandrum

Quote:
clothing I should NOT wear?
I would say no sandals. Hot brass is not fun on the tootsies.

Glasses are a must, either sunglasses or at least safety glasses (requirement at many ranges).

Hearing protection is a must. Some will argue that you don't need it for a .22 (which I disagree with), but there are sure to be other than .22s getting shot at the range.

Baseball cap or brimmed hat (I prefer Stetsons). Helps keep that brass from magically finding its way down your shirt.

If I find myself at the range after work and am wearing a collared shirt (polo or button), I button the top button. Makes me look like a geek, but at least I don't have to do the "hot-brass-stuck-in-my-bellybutton" dance.

Personally, I would not wear shorts at the range, but lots of guys do.

Have fun!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 19, 2008, 11:51 AM   #14
aeonrevolution

Sounds good. Thanks davlandrum.

My buddy ended up 1-Upping me by buying an AK.

Should be a fun day, but I doubt I want to try shooting the stuff he is bringing.
Old August 19, 2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Water-Man

Welcome aboard!
Old August 19, 2008, 12:34 PM   #16
davlandrum

Welcome to the fun!

Quote:
Should be a fun day, but I doubt I want to try shooting the stuff he is bringing.
Oh, you say that now, from the safety of your computer. Once on the range, it is like trying to have just one beer at a picnic....oh, okay, one more...

Heck, if he bought the ammo, why not save him from shooting it all...

Last thing, and very important if you are new to going to a range: Read the posted rules and follow them. Listen to the Range Officers commands. Don't touch a weapon during a cease-fire. If you don't understand something, ask somebody. Know how to correctly clear your weapon. A mistake at work might get you chewed out by the boss - a mistake at the range could make someone dead.

Sorry, had to do my mandatory "crotchity old dad" speech. Shooting is a lot of fun and safe if everyone follows the rules.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 20, 2008, 02:39 PM   #17
aeonrevolution

Wow.

Going again Sunday for sure.

So after arriving and everyone getting their stuff assembled and put together I waited a bit. I felt some crazy adrenaline going up to my first shot. Sadly, it was not a monster blowback like I was expecting for some reason I popped off a few magazines with my 10/22 and then began the tedious task of zero'ing it in.

I got a cheapy $20 holo sight from wal-mart, which would randomly turn the red dot off. Great quality control. After about 100 rounds my sights were completely off again. Pain in the ass....

Shot my buddies 44 magnum rifle with a 16" barrel. My shoulder is bruised from only like 5-10 shots of this. That thing has some power.

Two of the guys got XD-90 9mm hand guns (I think that was the model at least). I fired a few rounds of that, but eh. I didn't enjoy shooting the handguns as much. Very little accuracy compared to the rifles.

On to the fun stuff! The AK's they bought were Romanian made and had the wood stock as you can see in the photo. After firing this thing I had the biggest smile on my face the rest of the day.
Old August 20, 2008, 02:53 PM   #18
davlandrum

Sounds like you had a great day, other than the sight issue.

I kinda thought you might shoot (and actually enjoy) the AK.

Pistols are way fun as well, just a different kind of fun. Not meant to be as accurate as long guns, although some shooters can make it happen. I can put 10 of 10 in a 6 inch circle at 100 yds with my hunting handgun.

Glad you enjoyed yourself and welcome to the wonderful world of gun fun!

Good Shooting,

Dave

Old August 20, 2008, 03:00 PM   #19
outbreak722

Welcome aboard. I'm a newbie on this site as well, but I've been shooting for a few years. I'm kinda surprised no one gave the 4-rules lecture.
My advice would be trash that cheapie sight and learn to use iron sights first. Then, if you want, move up to something that is worth putting good optics on.
For the recoil bruising, hold the rifle as tight into your shoulder as you can, and try to put it on muscle, not bone. Thats tough to do from a bench but it feels natural when standing.
The pistols were XD-9's most likely; you were pretty close.
Anyway, glad you had fun shooting and welcome to the wonderful world of gun ownership.
"In a half century of military service with the United States and its foreign allies, the M1 has bitten thousands of recruits in this manner. No one has ever died from it, but it did lead to a deplorable expansion of vocabulary in many languages."
-US Rifle. Caliber .30, M1 Manual
Old August 20, 2008, 09:18 PM   #20
ndking1126

Glad you had fun! Those AK's are truly great fun.. I'm not at all surprised you enjoyed yourself.

Maybe to add to some of the other comments, don't under estimate the value of shooting the .22. There is no better gun to learn the basics of shooting. I take my .22 to range everytime I take my bigger rifles out so I can remind myself the basics before I start throwing the more expensive lead down range.

Quote:
My advice would be trash that cheapie sight and learn to use iron sights first
+1
You could take it back because it is defective.. you said it would just turn off. Shooting with iron sights is definitely one of those basics you really should know before moving onto the bigger and better optics.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:15 PM   #21
MeekAndMild

Congrads on the 10/22. Nice gun for learning.

Some more unneeded advice to add to that from previous posters. At your age your eyes should be good enough for you to learn to be a decent shot with iron sights. Scopes are for old farts.

Ear plugs are ok but plugs plus muffs are better. All those old farts with the scope sighted rifles couldn't hear a jet plane taking off because they ignored this 40 years ago.

Best get sunglasses that are rated for shooting. This might be a good use for the money from Wally World when you take back that broken scope. Lots of old farts can tell you stories about getting shards of metal picked out of their eyeballs (if they can hear you ask about it).
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:40 PM   #22
aeonrevolution

I grabbed a cheapo pair of the Remington glasses at Wal Mart. I got that covered

I figured something out while cleaning my rifle today. The holo sight actually has 3 settings on it for the laser. Each setting changes the intensity of the light. My dumbass just got too excited and didn't pay attention to this while I was shooting.

I'm going to go ahead and keep it, but at the same time when I go shooting next time I'm going to learn to shoot with the iron sights as well. Is there a trick to learning with them? When I was trying near the end of the day I couldn't really figure out where the tip of the barrel should be in regards to my sights.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:42 PM   #23
Stevie-Ray

Welcome aboard, matey!

If you're not going to "tacticalize" your 10/22, (walnut stock, after all) you might want to put a decent scope on it. Bushnell makes a cheap, yet decent for .22s, 3-9X and you might be surprised what that thing can do at 100 yds.
Old August 20, 2008, 10:58 PM   #24
aeonrevolution

I was getting 3 round shots within 3-4 inches of each other at 100 yards using the little red dot holo sight.

I'm not sure whether I want to go the route of modding the 10/22 a lot or not. I would almost rather just pay off a little debt and then save up for something fun
Old August 21, 2008, 08:15 AM   #25
jsmaye

Simple 10/22 mods (bolt stop buffer, springs, etc.) are less than $20. And most of them do clean up the action a bit.

Stocks, barrels, trigger groups - those are what cost as much if not more than the original rifle.