The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2020, 10:19 PM   #1
TXAZ

Franklin Binary Triggers: Got One? What do you think?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Franklin binary trigger?

Binary Triggers

What's your impression, good or bad? They're not cheap by any means, you (could) buy a cheap AR-15 for what they want for one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 30, 2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Dred

I know two folks running them on 10/22s. And there is a net zero result. First adopter - it does not run. Franklin Armory has had his rifle & trigger for weeks. On inquiry, they report that new production is their priority and they will get around to figuring out why his won't run when they get 'round tuit. Second adopter loves his and is presently contemplating wether or not to clearance his stocks so he can clean service his action without disassembling the trigger group.

So, it'll run if you get a good one, but Franklin ain't ready to worry 'bout you if your luck was wrong. The first adopter does have more aftermarket bits in the mix. Second adopter installed into an essentially factory 10/22.

The discussion is on a different public forum. My take is that I'm dissapointed with the way Franklin is treating customers after taking their money.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Old August 31, 2020, 07:11 AM   #3
imashooter

I installed one a few weeks ago (my first and only one) for a friend. It was installed to a Savage AR-15 which I had never seen before. Install was straight-forward and so far, flawless. As I recall, it seems as though the instructions (perhaps it was their video) anticipated a problem or two and offered solutions.
Old August 31, 2020, 11:06 AM   #4
rwagliardo

Binary trigger

I have 2 from Franklin one for an AR the other on CZ Scorpion. Also one from Fostec on another AR. They both work as advertised.
Old September 7, 2020, 09:23 PM   #5
jwise

I have the Franklin Binary trigger on an MP5. It is the most fun modification you could ever do! Pulling off controlled pairs and 4 round strings is super fun! I have had difficulty keeping all the rounds on target (8” steel) with 6 round strings.

I haven’t been able to do a smooth, staccato magazine dump. But to me, four rounds into an 8” steel target is loads of fun!
Old September 8, 2020, 12:50 AM   #6
Warhammer

The Franklin triggers look nice... but that price! I just installed a "Binary Boogie Hook" in my AKM yesterday. I haven't gotten to test it at the range yet, but at $130, it's a low risk addition to the rifle. Easy to reverse and not that much sunk cost if I don't like it. The Franklin AK trigger for $500 and a 4 month wait? No way! (I know, I know... typical cheap AK guy, LOL!)
Old September 8, 2020, 12:56 AM   #7
jimbob86

My son bought a really sensitive mouse for gaming for this computer ...... it's a giant PITA for old fat fingered me not to double click everydamnthing ........ Binary trigger? NOPE.
Old September 8, 2020, 06:00 AM   #8
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The Franklin triggers look nice... but that price! I just installed a "Binary Boogie Hook" in my AKM yesterday. I haven't gotten to test it at the range yet, but at $130, it's a low risk addition to the rifle. Easy to reverse and not that much sunk cost if I don't like it. The Franklin AK trigger for $500 and a 4 month wait? No way! (I know, I know... typical cheap AK guy, LOL!)

Let me know how that goes... I sort of want to pick one up for my PSA AK-P. But the only think I don’t like is what happens when you fire one, then want to put on safe. Seems more of a hassle than just flipping to safe and being done.

The biggest thing going for it is using the original selector.

I have two Fostech Echo triggers. Definitely fun, and I’m still messing with my AR pistol’s buffer weight to get it more reliable in Echo (it will sometimes not fire on release). But that setup is a little less common than what it was designed for.
Old September 8, 2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Warhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
Let me know how that goes... I sort of want to pick one up for my PSA AK-P. But the only think I don’t like is what happens when you fire one, then want to put on safe. Seems more of a hassle than just flipping to safe and being done.

The biggest thing going for it is using the original selector.

I have two Fostech Echo triggers. Definitely fun, and I’m still messing with my AR pistol’s buffer weight to get it more reliable in Echo (it will sometimes not fire on release). But that setup is a little less common than what it was designed for.
I'll let you know. Keeping the original selector was the main reason I went with this one. I just don't like the look of a different selector added on, plus I like the more original firing positions (up-safe, down-single, middle-binary).
Old September 8, 2020, 04:41 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

I had one for HK. I sold it now that I have a proper machine gun.

It was fun.
Old September 9, 2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

My buddy has one for his AR15. After the fickleness of getting it set up correctly and then learning to run it correctly, he has gotten rid of it. He called it a "spray and play" trigger as he didn't see any sort of serious work in which he thought it would be beneficial. I shot it a few times. The initial stroke isn't what I would consider a good trigger and the return was even more cruddy.

In these times of ammo shortages, spray and play triggers are not real beneficial.
Old September 9, 2020, 07:32 PM   #12
bamaranger

you asked

No interest in a binary trigger......at all. If some folks consider one fun, good for them (same for full auto fans), but creating a lot of noise and volume of fire is just not for me, ammo crunch or not.

Rather spend my money on a good single stage.
Old September 14, 2020, 07:17 PM   #13
Warhammer

@Screwball

Well, my first time out with the Binary Boogie Hook was pretty disappointing. I had a few good bursts that almost simulated a full auto-like rate of fire. But, for the most part, it was balky at best. I could easily outrun the trigger's reset rate in binary mode and cause the rifle to not cycle. I had to hand cycle the action (thus ejecting an unspent round) 7 times during the firing of 60 rounds. That's more FTFs in one shooting session than I've had in the entire previous ten years that I've owned this rifle. I may do a little more trouble shooting on the trigger and try again, but I'm about 99% certain that I'll end up going back to the original semi-auto trigger. I'd much rather have reliability than a doohicky that shoots fast unreliably. Honestly, after one range trip, I realized that I can accurately shoot my AK pretty damn fast without a trick trigger. Thankfully, I only have about $125 invested in the trigger, so I'm not too bummed out about it not working.