The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2017, 02:14 PM   #26
SIGSHR

Back I my reloading days I was constantly experimenting with brass catchers.
Nowadays the only semiautomatics I really enjoy shooting are 22s.
Old November 16, 2017, 02:32 PM   #27
HiBC

Sarcasm warning! Its a joke. And I don't have these things.

"Yeah,darn.I have this pile of old single shot rifles.Sharps,HiWalls,Stevens,Ballards.....but now that I have bolt guns and AR's...I don't shoot them much.
And those twice barreled shotguns.....LeFever,L.C.Smith,Parker,Ithaca NID,Sterlingworth....doggone,steel shot and all...these days I use the Bennelli
or the SPAS...
And those fossil Colt Single actions...And lever guns...I can't believe I own muzzle loaders!
An 03A3? A Garand??

I mean,lets get real!!!

Why own anything but a Glock,an AR,and a Bennelli?
Old November 16, 2017, 02:32 PM   #28
Bob Wright

Life is too short to shoot ugly guns. Here a few beauties, all .44s:

And, for variety, some .45s:

And a few small bores, all .357s:

Bob Wright
Old November 16, 2017, 02:39 PM   #29
TheLastGoodFight

It's hard to imagine a more convincing argument than Mr. Wright's.
Old November 16, 2017, 02:41 PM   #30
tony pasley

I carry a 1911a1 EDC but my favorite handgun is the first one I bought with my own very hard earned money in 1963 a single action .22 revolver. When you ever hear of me selling it or my other revolvers the Devil will be rent ice skates because hell froze over.
Old November 16, 2017, 02:45 PM   #31
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
I took an honest assessment of every gun I own & had to admit - - I just don't shoot a revolver any more.

In fact, I sold off two very pristine model 19's back in 2009 for a price that will make a lot of people cry ($~ $290 for each)

Oh well - they went to good homes.

Anyhow, I was on the line about getting a new S&W M69 "snubby".

Now I'm wondering - why?

Maybe it's time to just admit - I just don't have that old "itch".

Matter of fact, I bet it's been over 20 years since I shot my pet M19!

I know for a fact the last time I shot my M17's was New Year's Eve - 1999.

Yeah you should give it up to me. I️ would be happy to help you.

I’m always shooting my revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 16, 2017, 06:03 PM   #32
dontcatchmany

Since August I have purchased two more revolvers......now have a total of three.

Seems as though I grab them to go out back shooting before I think about a semi.

I am starting a scrap metal drive so send them to me and I will add them to the other rusted metal pile. The metal will be used to help a very deserving old man enjoy his last days.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; November 18, 2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old November 16, 2017, 11:46 PM   #33
tallball

My shooting buddy has a very nice 6" Ruger GP100.

It has a great trigger and is extremely accurate. He can shoot it better than any of his semi-automatics every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But he rarely brings it to the range and prefers to shoot his service-type semi-automatic pistols.

I have a similar situation. I have numerous revolvers that I can shoot much better than any of my semi-automatics (other than maybe my Buck Mark).

As a result, I prefer to shoot my revolvers.

Apparently they are all pretty much just range toys for both of us, and different strokes for different folks.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:20 AM   #34
Hal

Quote:
Except for the little ones with debatable firepower or round count, revolvers don't carry concealed very well.
That's really what sparked this thread.

I've been Jonesing for a S&W M69 ever since they came out.
When the snubby came out, I was doing the pee-pee dance at the door of every gun store I could find, trying to locate one.

None want to carry it - all would be happy to order it - for full boat retail w/a substantial down payment (non-refundable).

I figured, despite my huge dislike of the L-frame, that a snub nose 69, wouldn't be all that much more to hide than a snub nose K.

Then I started mulling over the cost.......

Which in turn got me wondering if the money wouldn't be better spent on something else.

Thankfully, I don't have to get rid of what I have.

I might even want to add a S/A .44 mag.......maybe.....maybe not...
Old November 17, 2017, 01:58 PM   #35
smee78

I went t hrought this about 15 years ago, I found myself more interested in my semi's than my revolvers. This transition then went to shotguns and then to rifles. Now I'm happy to go out and shoot my revolvers again. It seems to be a big circle for me and as my interest changes from platform to platform I am glad I did not get rid of my other guns. Like it was mentioned they can sit in a safe and not cost anything to keep unless you need the money? My interest also changed when I was reloading more often because picking up brass can be a pain, I also found I could afford to shoot favorites like my 45colt more due to the reduced price in ammo. Good luck in your decision.
Old November 17, 2017, 02:41 PM   #36
UncleEd

This thread has finally pushed me to the brink:

I am now giving up pastrami and concentrating
on corned beef.

If I ever have a pastrami on rye again, it's
because I lifted it from a friend's plate at
the deli.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:12 AM   #37
mauiglide

My favorite handgun to shoot of all the handguns I've own is my stainless S&W Model 686 Plus 4" barrel. I've tweaked it over the years and it has the most awesome trigger action. It is also accurate. I love 357 magnum and just recently came upon a RCBS press with 38 special dies. Definitely will be reloading in the very near future means more shooting fun.

I would never ever part with my revolvers. Just too much fun and they look way better than semi auto pistols. Mi dos centavos.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Old November 18, 2017, 05:51 AM   #38
FotoTomas

I swing both ways and always will. Started my Police career in the Army MPs with a 1911A1. Went into civilian law enforcement with a S&W model 10. Forty plus years later a wheel gun is in my pocket and a bottom feeder on the belt. I love diversity.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:09 AM   #39
rodfac

After shooting your automatics for several range sessions...and getting used to the mediocre accuracy they routinely hand out, especially from the short range defensive fire drills we've all been accustomed to, take out one of your revolvers....marvel at the smoothness of its SA trigger, back on out to 25 yds and concentrate on your sight alignment and picture...then see what real accuracy is all about.

Defensive shooting at close ranges with autos desensitizes us to what precision is available from a truly accurate handgun...and even an average revolver has a SA trigger that puts 99% of the autos to shame. Yep, I'll agree that an auto is easier to shoot in DA mode when compared to a revolver's long and heavy pull...but that SA mode is there for a reason...slow, deliberate, superbly accurate fire at longer distances.

Switching back to one of my Smiths re-awakens me to the basics: Sight alignment & picture, trigger control, and continuity of grip. The skills re-learned with a revolver are cross disciplinary...they'll apply to the autos too...and when finished with my old friends, I find that I'm better when I return to the close in CC auto drills. My revolvers are the schooling tools that do this...

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; November 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:17 AM   #40
rodfac

Smee makes a good point about brass and reloading. When using one of my autos, close in on defensive drills, I have a tendency to watch my ejected brass rather than pick up the front sight for a needed 2nd shot. It's a bad habit that could be fatal in a defensive encounter. Any break in concentration on the defensive task at hand is detrimental to my health. Two shots from a controlled pair, then assess, move to cover and watch for add'l assailants...that's the drill...not watching where my brass is falling in the weeds and grass on my farm range! With a revolver, there's no desire to do that...good point Smee...you reminded me of one of the basics!. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 18, 2017, 11:44 AM   #41
Onward Allusion

One of my first guns was a revolver - a S&W 547. Half of my handguns are revolvers.
Revolvers and semi-autos have their own place in the tool box. Would I carry a revolver if I knew I was going into the city? Probably not. I probably wouldn't carry a revolver that holds less than 8 rounds if I had a choice. Anything less, I would use as a backup gun if I had a choice. With that said, my last purchase was a S&W 627. Personal opinion, to each their own.
Old November 18, 2017, 11:59 AM   #42
Targa

Certainly not a world I would want to leave but to each their own.
Old November 18, 2017, 11:12 PM   #43
bedbugbilly

To each their own an if you on't shoot 'em - then why keep 'em? But, about the time you dump your last revolver, I'm guessing that you will have some "seller's remorse".

Personally, I've shot revolvers for about 55 years and would be lost with out 'em. I have a couple of semi-autos - a Ruger MKIII Target that I haven't shot since the 22 shortage of a few years ago but I just can't seem to want to part with it. The other is my Smith 9mm Shield that I CCW at times when I'm not carrying my Smith 36s. Depends on where I'm going but I usually reach for a wheel gun before I'l reach for the Shield.

But, if you're tired of your wheel guns, there will always be someone there that wants them!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 19, 2017, 01:02 AM   #44
hemiram

Of all my guns, if I had to cut it down to just three, all would be revolvers. I like my semiautos fine, but the three I have now that I would keep are special to me, the looks, the feel, and the fact I can shoot a revolver better than a semiauto in general, would make me keep them and let the others go.

If I had to get rid of everything but 3:

Dan Wesson 715
S&W 28
Dan Wesson 44.

Semiauto I would keep if I was allowed 4 is my Sig P220, then would be one of my Tanfoglio "Mossad" 9mm fullsized guns. I don't own Glocks, M&P's, or XD's, and never will.
Old November 19, 2017, 06:22 AM   #45
CajunBass

I'm a revolver guy, but when I have something I lose interest in, or see something that interests me more, I have no trouble selling or trading and getting what I do want. I won't say "don't use" because to be honest I don't use most of the ones I've got.

If I change my mind later on, I can always start all over again. I never had anything so rare it couldn't be replaced. I doubt many of us have.

They're just guns. They made a bunch of them, and make more everyday.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 19, 2017, 01:03 PM   #46
SA1911

Good Morning, Hal,

I feel your pain. Excellent quality semis dominate self-defense handguns. They have less moving parts. They are more reliable. Semis are easier to conceal. They fire powerful self-defense cartridges. They are faster to reload.

With that written, were I to own only one handgun, it'd be a .357 Mag, hopefully a 4" pre-lock Model 27-2.
Old November 19, 2017, 01:05 PM   #47
SA1911

rodfac,

A good quality semi will out-shoot the best quality revolver.

They's a reason the Gold Cup dominated handgun shooting.

Revolvers don't have a chance on tactical shooting courses.
Old November 19, 2017, 01:14 PM   #48
Real Gun

Quote:
A good quality semi will out-shoot the best quality revolver.
I wish that had been my experience.
Old November 19, 2017, 01:18 PM   #49
Glenn E. Meyer

I like shooting revolvers in competition as one should have some practice with the 5 shot is enough J frame.

It is fun. Given that there are few revolver shooters in competition nowadays, I can tell you that once when I shot a SW Model 19, I came in second behind a national revolver champion. Guess how many shot revolver that day.
Old November 19, 2017, 02:25 PM   #50
Drm50

You got to do what makes you happy. I just hope when you leave this world on
your stone is not chiseled " Killed by a punk with a plastic Pistol "