The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Killabee-23

Ghost 3.5lb trigger connector

hey guys i was looking at getting a little bit smoother and mabey a little bit lighter of a trigger job for my glock 19 and i was looking at ghost connectors they look very cheap and very easy to install but it kind of seems to good to be true and my G19 is also my carry gun so basically what im wondering is do you guys think i should spend the 20$ on the connector and put it in my CCW? the only reason im asking is because ive heard storys about people having ghost connectors in there CCW's and them having to light of triggers or even some having accidental discharges i highly doubt thats true unless the operator pressed the trigger but just wondering if any of you have a ghost connector in one of your guns and can share your experience?

thanks, killabee-23
Old December 16, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Sharkbite

My personal preference is for the stock 5# connector, properly polished.

It gives a definitive wall after the slack is out and a reasonably crisp break. The geometry of the 3.5# connectors tends to leave the trigger a little spongy. Id rather have the extra weight and crisp.

YMMV
Old December 16, 2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Killabee-23

i totally agree i necessarily dont mind the stock trigger it really doesnt feel that bad for me personally i was just wondering if the ghost trigger would be a better feel people tell me that the 3.5# trigger helps alot with accuracy but i believe that accuracy cant be bought it has to be learned im just always looking for ways to make my gun and myself a better shooter i mean mabey it does help up your accuracy but i dont know for sure because ive never used one and ive heard that the ghost connector makes the reset and the break much crisper and better im just trying to get as many opinions from people who know what there talking about as i can before i make a decision weather or not to get one so if anybody else has an opinion please state it and tell me what you think i should do thanks

,killabee-23
Old December 16, 2015, 01:41 PM   #4
WI Birdhunter

I like the ghost connectors, I put them in all my glocks, however, I would not put the 3.5# connector in a carry gun. Stick with the 5.0# Tactical connector for any carry guns.
Old December 16, 2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Sharkbite

How does the 5# ghost connector differ from the stock Glock 5# one?

How does it make the trigger feel different??
Old December 16, 2015, 03:18 PM   #6
849ACSO

A 3.5 connector and a Wolff competition spring kit are a must for any of the Glocks. These will give you a true 3.5 lb or so trigger pull. IMHO, they have the crappiest factory trigger going and for the few I've owned, this was best option. All can be done for about $30.

And for those that say "don't use this in you carry gun", I would say if you're not confident enough to keep your booger hook of the bang switch, an extra 1.5 lb of trigger pull ain't going to help you.
Old December 16, 2015, 03:21 PM   #7
bamaranger

connector's

We put Ghost 3.5's in both a gen2 G20 and a gen2 G17, and it smoothed and lightened both considerably, and made the pistols easier to shoot well for both bamaboy and myself.

Thus, when I bought a gen4 G34, in went a 3.5 connector, and it seemed to make no difference at all in that pistol.
Old December 16, 2015, 03:42 PM   #8
pilpens

I would stick with OEM connector for carry Glock.

I either have a Lonewolf or Ghost 3.5 on a Gen 4 G34. The trigger break is lighter but with more smooth creep before the break compared to Stock Gen 4 G17 which has a heavier trigger pull but is cleaner and crisper.
========
I think some G34s have 3.5 OEM and others have the regular connector.
Old December 16, 2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Sharkbite

Quote:
And for those that say "don't use this in you carry gun", I would say if you're not confident enough to keep your booger hook of the bang switch, an extra 1.5 lb of trigger pull ain't going to help you.
Its not about safety... Its about being able to take out the slack and then positively breaking the shot.
Old December 16, 2015, 06:43 PM   #10
849ACSO

If the trigger pull is consistent, there's no "slack" to take up. You simply squeeze until it goes off. That's why striker fired pistols are horrible to use to teach new shooters marksmanship. They stack so badly that they let you feel when the shot is coming, which has led to many folks developing a flinch.
Old December 16, 2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Sharkbite

Or you can learn to take out the slack and then break the shot. Just like on a 1911
Old December 16, 2015, 06:56 PM   #12
jmr40

I bought one Glock used that had one in it. Fortunately the previous owner left the factory parts in the box. I find the 3.5 lb trigger mushy. The 5.5 lb factory trigger is pretty crisp and I shoot it better. Like other posters have said, once you figure out to take up the slack the factory trigger is very 1911 like. The mistake many make is trying to shoot a Glock like a DA revolver.
Old December 16, 2015, 07:14 PM   #13
849ACSO

Quote:
Or you can learn to take out the slack and then break the shot. Just like on a 1911
I shoot nothing but 1911's, and shoot them well.

If you have a 1911 that has slack to take up, take it in for service.

EDIT: I shoot other guns too, but I carry a 1911 everyday, train with 1911's regularly, and shoot them well.

I shoot glocks too, mostly other people's that are having problems in firearms training. Horrible triggers. Springfield XD and S&W M&P series have a much better trigger for a striker fired gun
Old December 16, 2015, 07:35 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
hey guys i was looking at getting a little bit smoother and mabey a little bit lighter of a trigger job for my glock 19 and i was looking at ghost connectors they look very cheap and very easy to install but it kind of seems to good to be true and my G19 is also my carry gun so basically what im wondering is do you guys think i should spend the 20$ on the connector and put it in my CCW? the only reason im asking is because ive heard storys about people having ghost connectors in there CCW's and them having to light of triggers or even some having accidental discharges i highly doubt thats true unless the operator pressed the trigger but just wondering if any of you have a ghost connector in one of your guns and can share your experience?
Yes, it's easy to do, but it's generally regarded as not a good idea to modify the trigger of a carry gun away from factory default.

Yep, polish the parts, where they rub. Then shoot a bunch or rounds through it, and dry fire a lot. You may find your opinion of the gun changes.

The "minus connector/NY1 spring" combination is supposed to be just the thing for Glocks. I tried it, didn't care for it, swapped the parts back out right there at the bench.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 16, 2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Killabee-23

okay thanks for the opinions guys i think im just gonna stick with the stock trigger i dont feel like its that bad not in my glock at least there are far better stock triggers obviously but i dont mind it im just always looking for ways to make me and my gun a better shooter but at 20$ its hard to not just give it a try and see how it feels but im debating on weather or not i should just get a drop in connector or a whole spring kit but then again ive heard people say that it can mess with the guns reliability and overall function from day to day not sure how true that is but im just on the fence on weather or not to get a trigger job i do pull a little bit and sometimes miss at longer distances but i feel like thats just the way it goes lol i mean i have been shooting since i was a kid but i still have ALOT of learning and training to do so i think my accuracy will go up with practice
Old December 16, 2015, 07:41 PM   #16
Killabee-23

i really cant stand it when people substitute hard work and training for performance parts like they feel like if they somehow buy a 200$ trigger job a compensated slide and a huge magwell that that will automatically make them a great shooter and im sure those things dont hurt but theres NO substitute for hard work and training!!!
Old December 16, 2015, 07:47 PM   #17
vkeith

I put a Ghost Rocket with the spring kit on my G21, and I like it. I used the heavier firing pin spring along with the lighter safety plunger spring. It lightened up the pull by about a pound (estimate). It does add a bit of mushiness to the take-up, but it has a consistent pull all the way through and it has a clean break.

The Rocket also has to have a tab trimmed down as use for an over travel stop. Once mine functioned properly, I removed a little bit more metal because I would rather have some over travel than a jammed gun.

After I installed all the parts and had a properly functioning pistol, I took it back apart and polished everything with Fitz and a Dremel. That made the trigger a bit smoother, and negated some of the mushy feel.

Using the heavier firing pin spring means the trigger pull won't get down to the claimed 3.5 lb. pull, but the heavier spring does prevent light strikes which to me was more important than having a lighter trigger.

Go ahead and give it try because if you don't like the trigger feel, it's easy enough to switch back to stock. I do recommend getting a spring kit so you can tweak the feel if the connector alone doesn't make enough difference.

Last edited by vkeith; December 16, 2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Correction
Old December 16, 2015, 08:27 PM   #18
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 849ACSO View Post
I shoot nothing but 1911's, and shoot them well.

If you have a 1911 that has slack to take up, take it in for service.
1911 is supposed to have slag, or pre-travel, is it not?

-TL

Last edited by tangolima; December 16, 2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old December 16, 2015, 08:50 PM   #19
849ACSO

I just unloaded mine and checked it. If it has a 1/32" (.031") I would be surprised. Certainly not the 3/4" (.75") of stacking slack the glock has.............
Old December 16, 2015, 08:56 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Then why not a 1 lb. trigger?

Quote:
If the trigger pull is consistent, there's no "slack" to take up. You simply squeeze until it goes off. That's why striker fired pistols are horrible to use to teach new shooters marksmanship. They stack so badly that they let you feel when the shot is coming, which has led to many folks developing a flinch.
Your definitions of certain terms must be different than what I am used to. What does a consistent trigger pull have to do with slack? Plenty of pistols with consistent trigger pulls have slack (also, squeezing until the trigger releases the sear is taking up slack). For that matter, striker fired triggers, most of them, don't really stack that noticeably. The increase in the trigger pull as a function of springs, which is what I usually think of when I think of stacking, isn't really more prominent on striker fired pistols. I can think of a number of DA/SA hammer fired pistols where the stacking is much more dramatic. What you feel at the end of the trigger pull on a striker fired pistol is the point right before the striker is released. This is typically a fairly defined "wall" as it does involve some added resistance (but again nothing really dramatic in relation to the weight of the during the whole travel) as well as part geometries at fairly sharp angles. I think of it as similar to a two-stage rifle trigger. Many folks find it desirable, both on striker fired pistols and hammer fired pistols (though the weight of the final travel is often preferred to be less than say a stock Glock).

Quote:
I shoot glocks too, mostly other people's that are having problems in firearms training. Horrible triggers. Springfield XD and S&W M&P series have a much better trigger for a striker fired gun
This made me laugh. You've either handled some incredibly bad Glocks or XDs and M&Ps with trigger kits. This is from someone that's owned a dozen Glocks, probably 8 or so M&Ps, and 3 XD/XDms. Only very recent M&Ps I've owned had triggers even close to a Glock, early iterations were generally regarded as atrocious. It's why APEX as a company saw the success they did.

Quote:
okay thanks for the opinions guys i think im just gonna stick with the stock trigger i dont feel like its that bad not in my glock at least there are far better stock triggers obviously but i dont mind it im just always looking for ways to make me and my gun a better shooter but at 20$ its hard to not just give it a try and see how it feels but im debating on weather or not i should just get a drop in connector or a whole spring kit but then again ive heard people say that it can mess with the guns reliability and overall function from day to day not sure how true that is but im just on the fence on weather or not to get a trigger job i do pull a little bit and sometimes miss at longer distances but i feel like thats just the way it goes lol i mean i have been shooting since i was a kid but i still have ALOT of learning and training to do so i think my accuracy will go up with practice
I think I agree with you . I think light polishing is all Glocks really need and even without that they're certainly serviceable. But seriously, punctuation is important. I'm not saying it to just be difficult; it can have a notable impact on how well your readers understand you.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 16, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 16, 2015, 09:47 PM   #21
849ACSO

If I could get a 1 lb trigger that wouldn't go off when it was dropped or jarred, I would have a 1lb trigger. Wouldn't you? Again if your not confident that YOU aren't going to make the gun go off by having your finger somewhere it shouldn't be, then you shouldn't have a gun.

Yes, every gun has SOME slack but they don't gradually stack weight until they hit what you call the "wall" (which considering it's like hitting my head against one to shoot a glock, you called it right). That's quite distracting and makes for a HORRIBLE trigger pull. I don't consider the DA pull on a revolver "slack" because it doesn't stack..........it's the same weight until the gun goes off. A DA revolver doesn't start at 2 pounds and break at 12........... When you cock a DA revolver and go to squeeze off the shot, there's no slack there, there may be a tiny bit of creep, but by the time you feel that, the shot is off. If the cylinder lock didn't make any noise when it engaged in DA mode, you wouldn't know it's getting close. Triggers that stack weight through the pull are not my cup of tea. Maybe you like them, me, not so much.

They are quite functional, and there are folks that shoot them well, and I CAN shoot them well, but it takes more concentration than I'm willing to give, especially when there are better options out there.

If you found a Glock with a better factory trigger than an XD service with a factory trigger, Glock must have screwed one up somehow, because it seems to me they have to make their triggers that bad on purpose.
Old December 16, 2015, 11:04 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
If I could get a 1 lb trigger that wouldn't go off when it was dropped or jarred, I would have a 1lb trigger. Wouldn't you? Again if your not confident that YOU aren't going to make the gun go off by having your finger somewhere it shouldn't be, then you shouldn't have a gun.
Not really no. I don't think any trigger that light is required for decent pistol shooting, especially in a self defense situation, nor do I find getting good hits with a 5 lb. trigger a problem. I have many hours of courses and I know to keep my finger off the trigger. That said self defense shootings are dynamic situations. People move, people get knocked over. I wouldn't want a hair trigger in that situation.

Quote:
Yes, every gun has SOME slack but they don't gradually stack weight until they hit what you call the "wall" (which considering it's like hitting my head against one to shoot a glock, you called it right).
Again I'd say this depends on the firing mechanism and the pistol. I have some DA/SA pistols that stack before the wall, often as a result of stiff firing pin block springs.

Quote:
That's quite distracting and makes for a HORRIBLE trigger pull.
What's a horrible trigger to one might not be to another. I and many others don't find the triggers on striker fired pistols (or even Glocks in particular) terrible, though there are many that agree with you. I won't argue they're works of arts by any stretch.

Quote:
.it's the same weight until the gun goes off. A DA revolver doesn't start at 2 pounds and break at 12........... When you cock a DA revolver and go to squeeze off the shot, there's no slack there, there may be a tiny bit of creep, but by the time you feel that, the shot is off.
You're comparing 1911s and cocked revolvers to striker fired pistols. By the way striker fired pistols function they won't have triggers on that level. But any DA/SA pistol in SA will have noticeable slack. A DA pistol or revolver also has noticeable takeup, which while I wouldn't call it slack it will still mean noticeable trigger travel and the heavier resistance can affect sight picture.

Quote:
They are quite functional, and there are folks that shoot them well, and I CAN shoot them well, but it takes more concentration than I'm willing to give, especially when there are better options out there.
Again I think better is subjective because better in what way? If you like and prefer other designs rock on, I just avoid making generalizations. Just because you prefer other mechanisms doesn't mean striker fired pistols don't allow the development of marksmanship. I and others here consider them relatively easier to learn to shoot well than some other designs.

Quote:
If you found a Glock with a better factory trigger than an XD service with a factory trigger, Glock must have screwed one up somehow, because it seems to me they have to make their triggers that bad on purpose.
I've shot a number of samples of each model and never found your comments to ring true for me. I actually owned them all at one point to do a side by side for my own benefit. To each his own though. If you don't like a defined wall and prefer a rolling break I can see your point, but I'm the opposite.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old December 17, 2015, 12:25 AM   #23
849ACSO

Quote:
I actually owned them all at one point to do a side by side for my own benefit. To each his own though. If you don't like a defined wall and prefer a rolling break I can see your point, but I'm the opposite.
On this we can agree

Quote:
What's a horrible trigger to one might not be to another. I and many others don't find the triggers on striker fired pistols terrible. I won't argue they're works of arts though.
Again, no argument here

Quote:
Also, just because you prefer other mechanisms doesn't mean striker fired pistols don't allow the development of marksmanship.
I never said one couldn't develop marksmanship skills with one. I am very accurate with almost any handgun I pick up. I said it takes more concentration than I'm willing to give. After 15 years of being a firearms instructor for police recruits, this stacking trigger is the LEADING cause of recoil anticipation and subsequent low shots. Again, they're horrible, and not only to me, but the majority of shooters I have trained.

Quote:
while I wouldn't call it slack it will still mean noticeable trigger travel
The length of travel isn't the issue, it's the exponential stacking of weight, and then the "wall"

Quote:
I have taken dozens of hours of courses
I have taken hundreds and taught hundreds more through my career. I have shot and owned virtually every make of reputable SD/Service handgun made, including Glock. I still own 2, because if I'm going to teach it, I should be able to do it.

Quote:
I just avoid making generalizations
I'm comfy with generalizations. Striker fired pistols have generally crappy triggers that are more difficult to master than other designs.

No offense intended, and none taken. Merry Christmas!
Old December 17, 2015, 12:33 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
The length of travel isn't the issue, it's the exponential stacking of weight, and then the "wall"
But it's not even close to exponential. I brought up length of travel because you're using both slack and stack which have different meanings and slack is certainly related to trigger travel.

Quote:
I have taken hundreds and taught hundreds more through my career. I have shot and owned virtually every make of reputable SD/Service handgun made, including Glock. I still own 2, because if I'm going to teach it, I should be able to do it.
Rock on. I didn't bring up my experience to try to compete with you or play down your own experience. My point was that I understand the importance of finger off the trigger from that training, but I still don't think a hair trigger is necessarily a good idea for the reasons I mentioned.

Quote:
I'm comfy with generalizations. Striker fired pistols have generally crappy triggers that are more difficult to master than other designs.
I and many of the instructors today would disagree, but hey opinions are what they are.

Quote:
No offense intended, and none taken. Merry Christmas!
I didn't take any offense. Happy Hanukkah!

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old December 17, 2015, 03:54 PM   #25
849ACSO

Quote:
Merry Christmas!
Quote:
Happy Hanukkah!
Dang it!!! Just trying to be nice and it appears I messed that up..........

Tags
ccw , ghost connector , glock , glock 19 , trigger connector