The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 1, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1
monkeyfist

CT laws on transporting and storage of handguns

I've searched for the particular laws but, alas, I couldn't find any on my particular questions.

I have a carry permit. I know I can keep a loaded gun on my person, but what if I keep it not directly in my control - such as in a duffel bag on the way to the range or something? Does this matter? What if I keep the loaded gun in my locked car when I'm not there?

Also at home, do I need to keep it locked up? Do I need a trigger lock or whatever? I think no, but I haven't found anything stating the actual laws. What if I keep a loaded firearm in my night stand without a trigger lock. Is this actually legal? Do I legally need to lock it up when it's not in my control (ie. when I'm not at home)?
Old November 1, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfist
I have a carry permit. I know I can keep a loaded gun on my person, but what if I keep it not directly in my control - such as in a duffel bag on the way to the range or something? Does this matter?
No problem -- if you have a permit. Those with no permit cannot (legally) transport to the range even unloaded.

Quote:
What if I keep the loaded gun in my locked car when I'm not there?
Not illegal but not recommended.

Quote:
Also at home, do I need to keep it locked up? Do I need a trigger lock or whatever? I think no, but I haven't found anything stating the actual laws.
Firearms must be secured if there are children under the age of nineteen in the home.

Quote:
What if I keep a loaded firearm in my night stand without a trigger lock. Is this actually legal?
Not legal if you have children under nineteen in the house. From a practical standpoint, if you unlock it at night while you sleep and lock it up (or pick it up) when you wake up you're probably okay.

Quote:
Do I legally need to lock it up when it's not in my control (ie. when I'm not at home)?
If you have children under nineteen who could possibly enter the house when you're not there ... yes.
Old November 1, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
monkeyfist

Thank you Aquila Blanca. I have no children that apply. Can you quote the specific law(s) that apply? What if my friend's kid happens to be at my home?
Old November 2, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Google is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn Statute 29-371
Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, “minor” means any person under the age of sixteen years.
Does not appear to be limited to your own kids.

And I've been told that the new anti-gun law that Connecticut passed in April raised the age to 19. I'm surprised that isn't reflected in the on-line statute ... so perhaps that's not correct.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:56 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Gun laws....

I'd contact the CT.gov site; Dept of Emergency Services.
Id also look over; www.gunlawguide.com or www.handgunlaw.us .