The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 28, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
RNMama

Female with a CCW -- Need a different gun for concealment

Hi Members,

I just joined this forum and am looking for some opinions from those with knowledge in this area. I have had my CCW permit for a few months and I have a Glock 19. I love to shoot it and have taken a Zombie class in addition to the required CCW class.

However, it is pretty much impossible for me to conceal. I have tried a crossbreed supertuck holster which was comfortable but made it pretty obvious that I was carrying. I went to the gun store and tried various types of holsters on there with no success. I bought a gun purse but the gun was too large and I returned it. I also don't feel entirely great about carrying off my person. I am simply not carrying because I can't work it out with my body type and wardrobe. I think I need a smaller, more concealable gun.

My requirements are:
Semi-auto
Very concealable
Reliable
Big enough to adequately protect myself but not too heavy or large
Preferably a Glock, but if another gun would fit the bill that would be fine

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Emily
Old April 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Manson

There are several good choices out there. Since you are accustomed to Glocks you might look at a 26. It's a sub compact 9mm that most people find easy to conceal. I have a 27 and it is by far my most concealable.

There are a number of other small 9 mm's out there from Kahr, Sig and others. The new S&W shield is a single stack 9mm that's worth a look.
Old April 28, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
robertsig

Kahr P9 or PM9 are some of the best. The PM9 is smaller.

A single stack magazine would be easier to conceal, unlike the Glocks.
Old April 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Glock 36 in .45 is the only (thin) single-stack Glock has available:

http://www.glock.com/english/glock36.htm

Kahr polymers are all single stack and have similarities to Glocks.

I love my Kahr CW9... The new CM9 is even smaller:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/18442

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76031

Single-stack 9's are all the rage now... Ruger LC9, Walther PPS, new S&W Shield

Have you held an LCP?... 10 oz.! Great to carry... Snappy to shoot...
It's my most-carried gun. They're still selling like hotcakes...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Ruger+LCP+.380
Old April 28, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
TheNocturnus

Try a Kel Tec PF9, much slimmer and easier to conceal. Drawback is lack of rounds and possibly less reliability. I carry a PF9 as my BUG (back up gun) and trust it to work when I need it too.

Also look at these:

Kahr CM9
Kel Tec P11
Ruger LC9
Beretta PX4 SubCompact
Bersa BP9cc
S&W M&P9 Shield
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old April 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #6
C0untZer0

There's also the Beretta NANO, Boberg XR-9S Shorty, the Rohrbaugh R9, and the Sig-Sauer P290.
Old April 28, 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
L2R

many choices, few seem to work

From what I read, we all seem to end up with a drawer full of holsters and I believe it is a very personal choice and harder to find one that really works as intended or hoped. Finding one that is comfortable is harder to me.

I am not an expert, I too have a drawer full of failed attempts.

I did buy a Smartcarry a few weeks ago. I will be honest, I was a.... skeptical at first. Drawing a pistol from my side carries some risk of shooting my leg, this looked a little scarier for obvious reasons. But after trying it on, it really does work as advertised. It stays in front of you without being obvious to others. I told my wife I had it on, she couldn't see it knowing it was there and that was with a 1911 compact 45.

Check out the pictures or videos. I think there is one with a girl wearing one as wel if you scroll downl. http://www.smartcarry.com/photos.html

Seems like all others depend on your build and your dress and how loosely clothes fit. If you are serious about cc, this might work for you. Good luck.
Old April 28, 2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

i currently carry a G23 but i just purchased a kahr cm9 for summer carry. im not a big dude, so the cm9 will conceal alot better in the hot months.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Coltman 77

You should also check out a Walther PPS RNMama. They are accurate, reliable, easy to carry and very well respected.

Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old April 28, 2012, 04:28 PM   #10
golfnutrlv

I would try single stack, if that fits your eye and size criteria. This is probably your best option. Ultimately, it's a personal preference, and you will have to see and feel all of these to be sure you like them.

As mentioned, the good ones are:
S&W Shield
Ruger LC9
Kahr PM9
Walther PPS
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Microgunner

Also, the new Beretta Nano looks promising as a sub compact CCW pistol.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
tomrkba

You do not need a new gun; learn to dress around the gun. Falia Photography has some videos on how to dress around your gun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliapho...&view=0&page=2

This video in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk&feature=plcp
Old April 28, 2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Tnglock

If you can find one try out the new M&P shield
Old April 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Smit

Wait, you took a zombie class!? Those exist?

What is this world coming to
Old April 28, 2012, 06:08 PM   #15
RNMama

Thank you so much to those of you who weighed in! Looks like I have a lot to consider! I hadn't really thought about going with a single stack gun but it really makes sense!

I have seen the Falia Photography videos. Thank you, she is a wealth of info for women CCW holders. I know I will have to dress around the gun -- I think it will be easier to pull off with a smaller one.

The class I took is called Zombie 101. It's a fun eight hour class where you get really comfortable drawing and shooting. I shot about 200 rounds and really benefitted from the experience.

Old April 28, 2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Shadi Khalil

It's a tough spot to be in, my wife is going through the same thing. Only she is dead set on carrying a P239 and she is a tiny lady. Off the body carry seems to be here only option as she won't dress around the gun. I can't fault her for that as I'm the same way (certainly not leading by example) but I made up for it by carrying a small, light j-frame.

Since you are willing to compromise and carry a small gun, a lot of what's been mentioned here are great options. Like others said, Kahr's, baby Glocks, Walther's and even the new Sheild will all fit the bill. It's just a matter of going out and getting a hold of the guns to see what fits you best and if you can, fire them.
Old April 28, 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Spend some time on Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat site.

Kathy is extremely knowledgeable and also "lives" here on TFL as Staff Member Pax.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:18 PM   #18
barstoolguru

The NRA mag the rifleman had a short article on woman and concealment. It’s hard to dress sexy and sport a gun. As far as the inside the thigh holster, I see a chafing problem. Look into carrying in a different place like in a kangaroo carry or some of the other elastic holsters

Yes a G19 is had to hide in big men much less a woman. Don’t drink form the kool-aid that says you need to carry a gazillion rounds; facts are most defensive situations there are less than 3 shots are fired.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:32 PM   #19
tekarra

As a previous poster suggests, I also recommend you visit www.cornered cat.com. It is an excellent site.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Jack Bauer

Quote:
If you can find one try out the new M&P shield
You took the words right off of my keyboard. The Shield is nice and light weight, very easy to shoot and carry.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #21
loose_holster_dan

walther pps in a fist ultra thin kydex holster

jet guns has them cheapest. he may be out of stock right now, but if you watch him daily and are quick enough, you can get one while he has it in stock.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 28, 2012, 10:10 PM   #22
JJW

Below are a couple links to womens holsters. I hope they help, at least a little.
www.flashbangholster.com and
http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/...ollection.html
Old April 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #23
redrick

Another suggestion for the Walther PPS 9mm. It is thinner and very Glock like.

Last edited by redrick; April 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old April 28, 2012, 11:24 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

Size, shape; concealable pistols....

Depending on your budget, uses & training level, there are a few great pistols you can select for protection-carry.
If you are new, I'd suggest a hammer fired, DA only(no single action or cocking) pistol. You can avoid false claims of being reckless or improper gun handling in a high stress, fluid lethal force incident. Many police & security agencies have issued DA only pistols for years. Good designs include the HK P2000sk LEM, the SIG P239 DAK/SASII, the SIG P290 with laser, the SIG Sauer P224 DAK, the ParaUSA Stealth(LDA format with ambi safety), Beretta Nano, Glock 36 .45acp.

For compact or sub-compact pistols, I'd buy a 9x19mm(also called 9mm or 9mm Luger) or the .357sig(it has snappy recoil in compacts but great power-KE).
3 dot night sights & white-lights/laser aimers are good add-ons. Newer designs can fit even sub-compacts like the P224 or P2000sk.
As for concealment holsters, I know some custom shops like Kramer & Mitch Rosen market holsters for women. Kydex & polymer styles like Blade-tech, Fobus and Safariland have spacers & gear to fit women's frames.
You can also look into a under-shirt or garment like 5.11 Tactical or the Glockstore.com models.
In closing, I'd suggest you keep up with skill training, learn your area's gun & use of force laws and join the NRA. They work hard to support your 2A & gun rights nationwide.
ClydeFrog
Old April 28, 2012, 11:59 PM   #25
OJ

It didn't look comfortable to my male eyes but, I treated a female LEO for a little injury in a hospital ER and she carried a small autoloader strapped the the inner side of her left thigh - she said it worked for her though -

OTOH, I suppose any perp she was drawing on might be distracted enough to see her lift her skirt to draw and give her the drop on the perp -
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Tags
ccw , glock , kaur , semi-auto hand guns , smith & wesson