The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Madirishman

Inconsistent bullet seating - 9mm

I bought the Dillon Deluxe Quick Change assembly and Dillon 9mm dies for my Dillon 550. I am going for OAL of 1.135 using 124 grain HSM round nose bullet over 4.2 grains of Titegroup. The problem I am experiencing is inconsistent bullet seating, mostly I am getting 1.145 but running the round through the bullet seating and crimp die again is getting me 1.133-1.137. I am paying careful attention to be sure I am bottoming out on the downstroke to properly seat the bullet.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or what other adjustments I can make? I have loaded thousands of trouble free .40 on the same press but with flat point bullets and different dies of course. The Dillon seating die is interchangeable for flat point and round nose and I am using the round nose. Any help is appreciated.
Old August 19, 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Shootest

By running the crimped round through the seat die again you are probably just deforming the bullet nose a few thousands. Set it so it is right the first time, and shoot the long ones as is.
Old August 19, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
l98ster

Had the same problem with my 550. I called Dillon and they told me that my crimp was to tight. It was deforming the bullet and was changing the overall length. He stayed on the phone with me while I loosened the crimp slightly and the problem was gone. I thanked him for his time and never had that issue again. Gotta love Dillon.

-George
Old August 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Madirishman

I'll contact Dillon to see if they can help. I forgot to mention an important point, that being when I run rounds through singly, the OAL is correct. It is only when I have four pieces of brass on the shellplate that it doesn't always seat it correctly.
Old August 19, 2011, 07:48 PM   #5
excelerater

always test w all stations loaded,not one at a time
crimp always,JUST enough to see it on the edge of the brass,a little is enough
I just reset my 9MM dies today coincedently
crimping is a minimal task.....
Old August 19, 2011, 07:49 PM   #6
CherokeeT

Then you need to set the OAL wth a full shellplate and keep the "getting there" rounds separate, they are still shootable if they are long.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:53 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...He stayed on the phone with me..." Geez! I knew they were good, but didn't know that they're that good.
You can eliminate the crimp altogether. 4.2 of Titegroup is a light load and won't need a crimp.