The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2017, 05:59 PM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Another scope question

I am looking for a scope that gathers the most light (where I hunt in SC you can shoot pretty late after legal sunset. I have been thinking Swaroski 4-12x50 with a 1 in tube. Then I got to looking at zeiss Conquest 3-12 x 56 with a 30 mm tube. Of course the Zeiss is a bit cheaper but I am just thinking that with the 56mm objective and 30 mm tube this scope would gather more light..Opinions please. Unfortunately there isnt anywhere around here that I can look at these scopes first hand..
Old November 8, 2017, 06:25 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

It will. What’s that extra 6mm more worth to you? In low light the difference, especially on lower power, will be noticeable side by side, but only noticeable as long as the optics have a similar light transmission rating.
Old November 8, 2017, 08:05 PM   #3
jmr40

The 30mm tube has nothing to do with light. It gives you more adjustment for long range shooting.

The 50mm lense is only helpful in low light up to 10X, above that it won't let in any more light than a 40mm glass set on 8X. The 56mm lense will allow you to go up to 11X.

If you've got the money the Swaroski will most likely have the better glass and be better on all magnifications.

But you're over thinking this. The difference between a $300 Leupold and a $3000 Swaroski is about 5 minutes more shooting time before both are useless.

Winston Churchill
Old November 8, 2017, 08:09 PM   #4
ms6852

Since you are buying high end scopes may one of your friends might have a high end scope with a 40mm objective and you could compare with one of a larger objective on a lower budget scope or vice versa. This way you can compare how much of a difference there really is.
Old November 9, 2017, 04:25 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

jmr40, You make a good point, is all that money worth 5 minutes.
Old November 9, 2017, 09:06 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Buy a scope with a lighted reticle and you'll pick up four of those five minutes right away.