The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 28, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

432PD vs 442 for CCW?

These are both Smith and Wesson revolvers of similar size and weight. The main difference is caliber, capacity, and probable availability. (Then again, availability seems to be a problem for current production models too.)

The current-production 442 comes pre-cut for moonclips and lacks the dumb internal lock that's become standard on S&W. It holds five .38 special and is rated for +P.

The older 432PD holds six .32 H&R magnum.

With the small size of the J-Frame and low weight of these allow frames, I can see where the .32 mag might be easier. You also get an extra shot. Of course, the rounds are a little more expensive (about $3 per box) and there is less common selection in types of round.

What do y'all think?
Old April 28, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Aristides

432PD

I have the 432PD. It is a sweet little gun. I love having that extra 6th round, and it is very light and easy to drop in my pocket. It shoots great, and I feel it is close enough in effectiveness to the 38 special that I'll gladly trade a marginal amount of power for that extra round.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:43 AM   #3
gak

What he ^ said - the 431/432 is a potent little popper, and the .32 what the lightweight J's seem to be "made for." It's not a range gun so ammo avilability/price not so much an issue for its purpose. Shoot it enough to familiarize what it'll do and an occasional refresh thereafter, but otherwise forget bout it.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Obambulate

I had the same thought but took it even further with a 7-shot 351c in .22 magnum. I like having the extra shots, and the recoil is very mild despite the very light weight of the 351c.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I had the same thought but took it even further with a 7-shot 351c in .22 magnum. I like having the extra shots, and the recoil is very mild despite the very light weight of the 351c.
My local gun shop has an LCR-22 that's been sitting on the shelf for months. There is a certain novelty to having 8 shots of .22 long at my immediate disposal. They also make the LCR in a 6-shot .22 mag but I've never seen one. These calibers are probably the best to shoot in such small guns but we run into two problems. First, does the finickiness of rimfire mitigate the inherent reliability advantage of a revolver? Second, people often question the defensive potential of the .22.

I know that a well-placed .22 will do the job. It just has to be well-placed. That isn't always a premium against surprise risk. So for those familiar with .22 magnum, how far does that extra oomph really go?

The .32 family of rounds are light compared to modern service bullets (or even 9mm short) but they are much more massive than .22s. With the .32 magnums, they also pick up enough force to match or even exceed standard 9mm and .38 special. (The still under-utilized .327 Federal Magnum pushes this to extremes.) It puts this family of rounds in a special place for lighter duty. Since they occupy it so well, I often wonder why .22 remains on the table...
Old April 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Obambulate

The reliability issue of rimfire ammo is overblown, IMO. I would guess most of us have had a few FTF using bulk pack .22lr, and very few or zero issues when using better quality ammo from CCI or Eley.

The .22 magnum cartridge is inherently more reliable in its design, because it does away with the heel seated bullet of the .22lr. The magnum also has a thicker case, allowing higher pressures, and does not require the waxy lubrication of .22lr ammo.

.22 Magnum now is available in self defense loads designed for short barrels. Hornady, Speer, and Winchester offer self defense loads in .22 Magnum. I use the Speer Gold Dots for carry ammo, since they have proven to be very accurate and reliable.

One of the issues I have had with carry is that the ultralight revolvers are a pain to shoot, even with .38 Special. I want to be able to train extensively with my carry weapon without damaging my hands - I work in the medical field and require fine dexterity for my work.

I like the steel J-frames, but we tend to wear light, flimsy clothes here in the deep south, so pocket carry is out and adding a belt isn't always feasible. The 351c is super light (11-oz empty, 12-oz loaded) yet I can shoot 200 rounds in an hour with no pain.

The 7 rounds are definitely a strategic advantage. We are seeing more gang-related activity with multiple attackers. Five rounds doesn't seem to be enough. The extra chambers also allow me to load a couple of snake shot rounds if I'm carrying in the woods, and still have 5 hollow points left in the cylinder.

Ultimately, everything's a compromise. 5-shot .357, 6-shot .32, 7-shot .22 magnum, or 8-shot .22lr. I think they can all work for self-defense in capable hands. Each requires training and a suitable mindset.

Tags
432 , 442 , ccw