The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2011, 12:28 PM   #26
bikerbill

I carry an NAA Pug .22Mag on dog walks in my quiet little Texas town, but I wouldn't carry it for any other occasion ... .22Mag can certainly kill you, but a .38 or 9mm can be carried in a pretty small, light package and those calibers are more likely to be useful in an SD situation ... I agree that rimfires are more likely to misfire; I have that problem all the time with my 22a .22lr ... but the Pug has never had a misfire, maybe .22mags are better made (they ought to be, they cost enough more than .22lr) ...

and no offense, but I wouldn't try shooting any hog I've ever seen with a .22mag, unless it was tied up and 90 percent dead already ... those puppies can take a lot of damage from bigger rounds; I wouldn't go after one with anything less than a .357magnum ...
Old January 26, 2011, 05:12 PM   #27
NightSleeper

I like the .22 Win mag. Mine's a Taurus 941 (8-shot) DA revolver. There's no recoil so your friend will probably like it. It does have a heavy DA trigger though. Inexperienced shooters may not like it. But you can always get some trigger work done.

Another option would be for a .32 ACP semi-auto. This is another round I really like due to low recoil. I have a Walther PPK/s (one of my favorite shooters) and a Beretta Tomcat. The Tomcat makes a great purse gun because of it's size, and the fact that it has a tilt-up barrel. Your friend wouldn't have to rack the slide to load it, a bonus for those with arthritis. There's a lot of different .32 semi-autos out there, look around for the right one.

Another option of course is to have your friend practice practice and practice some more on the .380 until she gets used to the recoil.
Old January 27, 2011, 01:57 PM   #28
Double J

Think I'd favor a revolver such as the Ruger single six and a shoulder rig. I like squeezing a bit more accuracy rather than spray and prey. The .22 Magnum is capable of fine accuracy. Penetration is far superior to a .380ACP, .38 Spec. or a .45ACP. Yes, the .22 Mag. is hard on the ears, but that will not be a concern if the gun has to be used in self defense. For a smaller package a nine shot double action revolver with .22 Stingers will work. I think the idea here is to have personal protection, not an assualt package.
Old January 27, 2011, 03:25 PM   #29
ronto

The 22WMR was designed for use in a RIFLE (period)
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old January 27, 2011, 03:53 PM   #30
BGutzman

Rimfire is a poor choice for SD but hey its your life, maybe you can throw the weapon or something, use it as a club if it fails.

Last edited by BGutzman; January 27, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGutzman
Rimfire is a poor choice for SD but hey its your life, maybe you can throw the weapon or something, us it as a club if it fails.
I think the original poster is well aware that .22 Mag is not as effective for self defense as .44 Mag, but he explained the reasons why the "heavy" calibers are not appropriate in this case. Your mileage may vary, but IMHO a .22 Mag far outweighs a pointy stick and/or harsh words for someone who physicaly can't handle a big bore blaster.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:25 PM   #32
BGutzman

I wasn't proposing a 44 Mag, what I was proposing is a Rim fire is not as dependable as a centerfire round. Seriously shoot whatever a person likes no problem its not my hide on the line.

I credit the thread author for acknowledging Rim fire is less reliable and that he doesnt see it as being the best choice but it is his choice.

However none of that negates the fact that it is a rim fire and I feel that regardless of you body capacity to carry or use whatever you owe it to yourself to get a gun (or in this case ammo) that will reliably shoot when you pull the trigger.

Go for 17 HMR but have a plan for if it fails. ie club or whatever you can imagine works for you.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:43 PM   #33
jimbob86

The perfect "Grandma Gun":

http://www.impactguns.com/store/86B210.html

Almost 24 oz. empty, and chambered in .380=very little recoil

Tip up barrel=not having to wrestle with the slide if you don't want to. (Though that is not difficult if Grandma knows what she is doing ..... and the Cornered Cat 'splains it pretty well if she does not:

http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx
Old January 27, 2011, 06:30 PM   #34
nefprotector

Well I see that S&H is $15.99. so $13.99 + 15.99 = $29.88 as I said $30 a box.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:01 PM   #35
tileguy

i would carry a 22 mag for sd. if thats all i can handle. to the people who say its not enough power think again. my buddy who does custom slaughter uses a 22mag 90% of the time and drops 800 to 1800 lb bulls or steers with one well placed shot. i normally carry a g30 but i am still healthy i also have a colt vest pocket in 25acp for those days i am just wearing board shorts.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:26 PM   #36
bigalshootmupper

I like to carry my NAA Black Widow in 22mag. It has a 2" barrel. Sure, it is not as powerful as my 40S&W, but it fits in my shorts pocket and no one ever knows I am carrying it. Dry phone bullets are penetrated 4-5". I think that is enough to do the job if the shot is well placed. Also, I have never had a single failure with this gun with many types of ammo. I have shot many armidillos, one shot one kill every time.

I definitely will look at the Hornady 45gr ammo. Right now I use the 45gr Winchester Dynapoint. I might chronograph it this weekend and post back.
Old January 30, 2011, 07:03 AM   #37
threegun

Quote:
and no offense, but I wouldn't try shooting any hog I've ever seen with a .22mag, unless it was tied up and 90 percent dead already ... those puppies can take a lot of damage from bigger rounds; I wouldn't go after one with anything less than a .357magnum ...
While I would agree from my limited expierience with the above quote I have been assured by experts in the sport of hog hunting that it is perfect for the task described.

Like the tireless debate over cartridge stopping power, this appears to be another case where shot placement is critical.

Some observations on the upside for the pmr30.

low recoil (for those with sensetivities)
increased power from 22lr (the only option for those listed above)
fast followups with a very deep reserve

Considering the job of a cw carrier is to simply survive an armed confrontation it would seem that the pmr30 is well suited for this.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:41 AM   #38
nate45

Jim March

Thanks for the info on the Speer Gold Dot .22 Mag. I was not aware of it. Should make a good load for my 3.5 inch S&W Model 51-1.

Old February 1, 2011, 02:46 AM   #39
the357plan

Don't discount the little guy...

Once pulled out my Single Six and shot a water logged 4x4 fence post. The 22 Mag round just popped right on through. So I decided to see how big of a hole I could blow out of the backside with my Blackhawk. I was shocked. The 357 Mag round never made it through the fence post.

So I'm guessing the 22 Mag might be good for poking holes in your attacker.

But I'm also guessing that my 380 will deliver a bit more shock, even if it doesn't penetrate as far.

P.S. With 6" barrels, my 22 Mag revolvers don't make good CCWs.
Old February 1, 2011, 03:33 AM   #40
Crazy88Fingers

A .22 mag makes a loud noise that will attract attention, can be very easy to conceal, and probably hurts like hell. Not to mention its mere presence may be able to settle a self-defense situation.

North American Arms (NAA) makes a whole line of mini-revolvers chambered in various .22 calibers.
Old February 1, 2011, 04:20 AM   #41
MCCALL911

I can only comment on the .32 as I have no experience with the .22 Magnum.

As much as I like the .32 S&W Long for its accuracy, I just don't have a great deal of confidence in it for SD use. That's mainly because of its slow bullet. I don't know if the bullet could be counted on to have enough momentum to get to a vital area in case it encountered bone.

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old February 1, 2011, 04:43 AM   #42
Manco

For those who have difficulty pulling a heavy DA revolver trigger, would pulling the trigger with both index fingers (one on each hand) be so terrible? Having an SA mode (exposed hammer) would take care of the potential need to shoot single-handed (probably not that advisable with these folks in any case).
Old February 1, 2011, 05:10 AM   #43
IntenseJ

"I carry an NAA Pug .22Mag on dog walks in my quiet little Texas town, but I wouldn't carry it for any other occasion ... .22Mag can certainly kill you...)

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up NAA. I got a NAA widow maker with the folding grip/clip a couple years ago. I LOVE that little gun. Perfect for things like dog walks or trips around town where you don't intend to end up in a situation where you'd need a gun, but if you do you've got it in your pocket/on your belt, and it's no bigger than a cell phone. Shockingly accurate too for a little barrel like that.
Old February 1, 2011, 06:28 AM   #44
mes228

Mag

I am not recommending a .22 mag for self defense. I do believe that it is woefully under estimated as a pistol round. My personal experience says the paper "figures" on the .22 mag is not the whole story. The gentleman in a prior post wrote of shooting through a fence post with his and the failure of a .357 mag. With a .22 mag round from a Ruger Single Six (4 5/8 inch barrel). I've had a similar experience shooting a cast steel sign. A 38 Special +P would only leave a gray spot on it. A .22 mag round would penetrate it easily. Anything is deadly if it will penetrate to the "vitals" of a creature. I've killed large whitetail deer with a .22 mag pistol. A youthful, stupid, illegal act that I would not repeat today. However, at 16 and a farm boy - if it "got up" and stopped long enough for me to get a bead on it I'd probably shoot it. Statistics and paper power equations are not the real world. I like the .22 mag from my real world experience with it.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:12 PM   #45
egor20

For those interested

I was just over on Cheaper than Dirt;

North American Arms Wasp Snub Revolver
.22 Long Rifle and .22 Magnum
1-5/8" Barrel 5 Rounds
Rubber Grips
Stainless Finish
Price: $248.89

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/69891-1.html

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 4, 2011, 03:01 AM   #46
mjbskwim

All this great info and not a one person talking about shot placement?

IF the lady has a 357/686 S&W and can't hit anything with it because she can't really lift it to aim it,the gun is useless.
Same with any gun someone is afraid of.

If I have to shoot someone with my Buckmark in 22lr (and 22mag is WAY more potent than a 22lr) ,and I put all 10 round into the chest cavity,the person will go down.
Period.
I can shoot it that well and ten rounds will destroy and stop most organs functioning.
In the forehead they will most definitely stop brain function.

You always want to use the biggest (practical) caliber you can shoot accurately and consistently,(consistently accurate?) If this is a 22lr in a 8 shot revolver,it is a very fine defense weapon.
I would definitely trust a 22mag S&W (don't like tauruses) with my life.Looking to pick one up too.
Old February 4, 2011, 11:44 AM   #47
Glenn E. Meyer

Hey, I got mine for about $100 cheaper years ago.

I also have the NAA 22S - it's so cute!!

It's a Bug's bug!
Old February 7, 2011, 11:30 AM   #48
S_Constitutionist

I vote for something like the .32 ACP Beretta.

You just cant chance it with rimfire ignition IMO....
Old February 7, 2011, 12:48 PM   #49
ripnbst

If you want something with a great trigger how about a 1911 chambered in .22WMR? I don't know about WMR but I know that in LR they are starting to sprout up.
Old February 7, 2011, 02:59 PM   #50
bighead46

I run a trapline. I need 22LR solids. If I shoot a coyote through the lungs with a 22LR hollow point it blows a 1" to 1 1/2" hole out the other side and there is a lot of blood under the hide on the far side that making skinning the yote a PITA. Yotes are a PITA to skin anyway. In any event- if it is summer and the perp has light clothes on- I think a 22 magnum ought to work- not as good for sure as the big stuff but it should be okay. If it is winter and heavy clothes, etc- then go for a head shot. They shoot hogs and gators in the head with 22LR's and they're dead before they hit the ground.
The 22, not just for squirrels
Closed Thread

Tags
.22 magnum , caliber , handgun , self-defense