The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
TonyAR308

Case trimmer

I will start reloading for 308 and 25-06 when I finally get all the equipment (some on backorder, some impossible to find). I ordered the majority of the equipment for 308. Do I need a specific case trimmer for 25-06 or will any cutter head do? This seems stupid in writing but I am new to this any help will be appreciated?
Old January 24, 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Tuckerp229

Two weeks ago I was in your shoes- relative to rifle cartridge reloading. I now own an RCBS Trim Mate, modified to trim cases on station one. See the following link to gain a quick overview of this fantastic tool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGkWUtKz4k

Or search under this heading: .223 Case Preparation - RCBS Case Prep Center

My groups tightened up 1.5 inches to 1 inch at 100 yards for my 6.5x55 Swede from the first batch of reloads using this tool!
Old January 24, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
PCJim

Tony, you will need a micrometer first to determine whether your cases will need trimming. Case trimmers run the entire gambit as I'm sure you have found if you have researched MidwayUSA, Cabela's, Graf & Sons, or others. They come in various styles: powered units, lathe, guide pin, "zips" and others. I personally prefer the Possum Hollow line of trimmers. They are simple to use once set, and can be used in a power adapter for trimming large quantities of brass. They are caliber specific. You will need separate trimmers if using the PH style, separate guide pins if using the Lee style, individual collets if using the lathe type, etc.
Old January 24, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Nnobby45

The blades are universal on my Forster and RCBS trimmers--at least for rifle. You need a specific collet for each caliber.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:52 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

I think PCJim meant "caliper" not "micrometer". Micrometers that will measure case length are expensive, and you do not need the accuracy they provide. Dial or electronic calipers will work just fine.

I highly recommend the Wilson lathe-type trimmer. It uses a unique shell holder patterned after the rifle chamber (tapered, but shorter and open on both ends) to securely hold the case centered. No pilots or collets are needed, just the case holders, which are good for multiple derivatives of the same base cartridge (i.e. 308/243/7mm08, or 30-06/25-06/270) Very simple, very robust, and very accurate/consistent. Reasonably inexpensive too.

Andy
Old January 25, 2009, 10:39 PM   #6
PCJim

BigJake, thanks for correcting my mistake.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:58 PM   #7
amamnn

Depending upon your needs and budget, you might elect to go with the Lee caliber specific trimmers. They will only trim to the Length that Lee builds then unless you special order something different. They can be used with a drill to do mass quantities. I use them for plinking/hunting cartridges.
If you want to get into trimming lengths other than what Lee considers right, or you want a better finished case, you might want to look into the Wilson or Forster trimmers.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
TonyAR308

Thanks

I appreciate the responses. It all seems so simple when thinking about it. Have empty shells, set a primer, dump powder, press bullet, and shoot bullseye at 1000 yards on first attempt. Then reality sets in and, oh crap, how do I not blow something up or off when I squeeze off that first reload. I hope I can at least hit a target at 50 yards.
Old January 26, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
BigJake, thanks for correcting my mistake.
No problem; I'm sure if you read enough of my posts, you'll get the opportunity to return the favor!

Andy