The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2009, 09:14 AM   #26
jdscholer

This just clinches it. It's about time that someone -Lee?- invents an accurate and affordable pressure testing system for all of us load developmint wannabe's. jd
Old January 25, 2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Peter M. Eick

I can add that when I went experimenting with trailboss and over book max loads, I found as I approached 100% loading density and slightly exceeded it, that my velocities and recoil "feel" got very erratic. This is what resulted in the discussion with the IMR tech a long time ago.

What I would suggest is what I do. I work out volumetrically what is at most 90% full the case and set that as my "don't go here" point and then work up the load till I am comfortable with my pressure ring, accuracy and velocity. I freely state that most of my TB loads are over book max which is why it is replacing most of my other powders for lead loads. Why keep other powders around if TB can do it and do it safely on a progressive.

To bad IMR cannot make a TB equal that is a bit slower so we have more latitude. I think a whole line of bulky powders would make sense!