The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2018, 06:37 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Anyone use a Sneaky Pete holster?

They look like a very well made and very discreet way to carry out side the waistband, especially in circumstances in which you have to dress nicely or you simply can't carry inside the waistband. I have all but given up on attempts to actually tuck my shirt in around a gun of just about any size, they always either create weird lumps or they become virtually inaccessible.

I'm wondering if anybody uses a Sneaky Pete holster for a gun larger than a tiny pocket pistol. The dimensions for a gun like the Walther PPS that I have, are pretty much 6in on a side and more than 1 inch thick. I would love to be able to carry discreetly, but that seems like an enormous leather case and at that size I doubt anybody would look at it and think of a cell phone.

I also don't especially want to get a pocket pistol. I will if it becomes my only good option, but I just find those little things so difficult to shoot.
Old June 4, 2018, 08:49 PM   #2
JMag1

I just can’t. Gives off that Spock tricorder vibe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2018, 07:14 AM   #3
David R

I have one. Its for my Micro 9. Its HUGE.

Pic to follow

David

I keep it in the car for easy access. If it clip it on my belt, it takes up way too much space.

I also have one of these:
https://www.opovoo.com/products/edc-...nt=22898766598https://www.opovoo.com/products/edc-...nt=22898766598

This looks normal and holds my Micro 9.

David
Old June 5, 2018, 11:06 AM   #4
OhioGuy

Wow, that sucker is big!!! And the Micro 9 is hardly...big!

The multi-purpose EDC bag is kinda cool, CCW or otherwise. Can't imagine it's very fast to draw from, but then, neither is a holster tucked down deep under 3 layers of clothing.

If I'm being honest, I've always thought that a way for guys to carry around essential stuff without looking like dorks was pretty elusive. Belt pouch (i.e. fanny pack)? Dork. Sling bag...eh...maybe, but they all look too "tacticool" which usually equals Dork. Cargo pants with pockets crammed full of crap? Uncomfortable.

Maybe that little belt pouch is the answer I seek It's almost like putting a smartphone visibly on the outer pocket clears it from either looking like a holster, or looking dorky. "Oh, it's a phone holder with some extra pockets, that's cool."
Old June 5, 2018, 11:09 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

Nobody would suspect you if you carried a purse!
Old June 5, 2018, 11:11 AM   #6
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Nobody would suspect you if you carried a purse!
I know, right! They'd probably celebrate me.
Old June 5, 2018, 11:16 AM   #7
HighValleyRanch

I was at the local video store one night. The sales person yelled out, "someone's left a purse here at the counter. Then in the back of the store "MUSHROOM JOE" a huge local Native American guy says in a low gruff voice......
"that's not a purse, it's my pouch!"
Old June 5, 2018, 11:26 AM   #8
HighValleyRanch

But back to your question, I have a nice old worn leather pouch, and my LCR fits perfectly into it, so when I'm working around the ranch I sometimes wear that in case the PGE guy, UPS or others come up on me unexpectly. Legal to be carrying open on private property, but it freaks some people out.

As far as some of the commercial ones like sneaky pete, or safepackers are nice ideas, but I assume that every law enforcement gun guy would already know what those are, as well as other CCW holders. Too obvious. So an old leather pouch doesn't scream "THERE IS A GUN HIDDEN INSIDE!"

But there's NOTHING I could imagine wearing on dress clothes that wouldn't look out of place hiding anything larger than a pocket pistol. In that case, a shoulder satchel or bolsas would be more appropriate i.e. european man bag.
Old June 5, 2018, 03:15 PM   #9
TunnelRat

It doesn't seem that sneaky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Cirdan

I have a Sneaky Pete for my LCP. It's huge, no one's going to mistake it for a cell phone.
Old June 6, 2018, 06:18 AM   #11
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
It doesn't seem that sneaky.
Cause its not.
Tuck pocket t-shirt into jorts add unsneaky quasi open carry holster to complete the look.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:26 AM   #12
Eazyeach

^^^ lol. I’m picturing that dude from TFB
Old June 6, 2018, 07:33 PM   #13
dgludwig

The Sneaky Pete is relatively big; may not be so sneaky and might telegraph its contents to those few people who actually look for evidence that a person is packing, but it is concealed and meets the legal requirements for carrying a pistol concealed in most, if not all jurisdictions. And it does so in a more comfortable format than a typical iwb holster does for many people.
Old June 6, 2018, 07:59 PM   #14
kymasabe

I occasionally use a bulldog holster, similar to Pete but smaller, looks more like a pda holder.

Last edited by kymasabe; June 7, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:16 PM   #15
dgludwig

I have a Bulldog too that resembles a Sneaky Pete but the smaller size prevents me from carrying even a petite-sized Ruger LCP upright and I found it to be cheaply made (the magnet that is supposed to hold the flap shut came loose and slides all over the place).
Old June 8, 2018, 06:33 AM   #16
Auto5

I have one for my LCP, which is about as big as anything I would want to wear on my belt. It doesn't look like a cell phone case (too square), but it is only obvious to those who know what it is. I've worn mine around my office building without getting a second glance. I originally got in because I am in and out of no carry places during the day and it is easy to remove from my belt without risk of someone spotting my firearm.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:11 AM   #17
OhioGuy

I very occasionally see people carrying small tablets or other large devices on their belts (and only know because I've seen them pull a mini-tablet out of the pouch). These pouches DO attract my attention because they're so large and so uncommonly seen. But I guess any ordinary person would not likely suspect the contents (or at least would never say anything).

My real issue would be around people who routinely see me. "Whatcha carrying there? Big tablet? When did you buy a big tablet? Never seen you use one before..."

I suspect it would be the opposite of discreet!
Old June 8, 2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Let's think about this for a minute. Carry your gun in something that looks like a cell phone, or tablet case. A target for a common purse snatched to grab and run. Now we have an armed purse snatched on the street. No thanks. To get to my CCW gun they either have to reach in my front pocket, or into my waste band. Either way will be neither easy, nor profitable!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 8, 2018, 02:44 PM   #19
Onward Allusion

I have a total of 3 Sneaky Pete's. One is for a P32/P3AT, another is for a P11, and the third is for a J-Frame.

Let me tell ya...I have not used the 2 larger ones more than a couple of times. They are friggin huge when compared to the size of the gun. I feel that one is better off to pocket carry with a holster or use a IWB holster if concealment is super important.

The only one that gets any use is the one for the P32/P3AT. That one is sized somewhat reasonable. I had re-formed some of its innards and now can carry an extra mag in the Sneaky Pete. The holster still looks like something for a iPad instead of a phone, however.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:30 PM   #20
dwhite

Buddy of mine was at a Dunkin' Donuts a couple weeks ago with his Kimber Micro 9 in a Sneaky Pete holster. He's standing in line when a cop at a table close by looks at him and asks if he has a gun in it. He says yes and he has a carry permit. Cop looks at his partner across the table and says, "You were right".

They were not aware it was a holster and asked what it was called, how he liked it. They were impressed to find he had a Kimber in it.

If people know what they are looking for, they'll see it.

All the Best,
D. White
Old June 8, 2018, 06:12 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^^^
Quote:
but i assume that every law enforcement gun guy would already know what those are, as well as other ccw holders.
confirms my suspicions!
Old June 9, 2018, 06:52 AM   #22
rodfac

Sneaky Pete's just don't seem like a solution to me...too big and too obvious that something of value is concealed in them...gun or large phone...whatever.

IWB holster types will solve most deep concealment issues if you can find a way to draw from one and re-holster without covering an important piece of your anatomy. Too, the IWB type are slower in my use than any OWB I have tried. That said, son #2 uses a Galco that works for him with a Sig 227 or his Colt Commander. He trains with them, does not seem to 'cover' himself or others while on the range, but then his backround is USMC Military Police. Not your average shooter by any stretch.

For me, I dress around an OWB when going to town, or just plain open carry here on our farm. It's no big problem to cover a full size 1911 or Browning Hi-Power with a button shirt tail or even a T-shirt. In my opinion, small bulges at waist level on most Americans are the rule not the exception here in our grossly over weight country. Aside from LEO's and crooks specifically searching for a CC weapon, a shirt tail suffices for KY law...the gun's concealed not hidden. There's a difference!

Concealed allows presentation in useful time, with regular training. Hidden, conversely, almost precludes use in real life encounters...yep, it's not discernible even to LEO's, but it's not realistically usable either. My suggestion is to dress around the gun with it's ultimate use foremost in mind, and forget about 'hiding' it. OWB will do that easily, short of going to the beach in your Speedo's. Buy your wardrobe with CC in mind and you'll have no problems.

HTH's YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 9, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:12 AM   #23
David R

I keep my Micro 9 in sneaky Pete when driving. Easy access and out if sight.
Not on my belt.
David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 9, 2018, 09:00 AM   #24
Ricklin

I have one, don't use it

I have one that was included when I bought my LCP.
While it works pretty well for the LCP from a size perspective I prefer pocket carry with a sticky pocket holster.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:27 PM   #25
bedbugbilly

I can't stand ti carry IWB - never have liked it but then I'm old and crotchety! :-)

Luckily for me, whee I am in AZ or MI, I can easily carry OWB and cover up with a shirt tail or jacket - even though open carry is legal - I just don' like to "advertise".

I've never tried a SP holster - I've often wondered just how fast you can react and get your pistol out of one? As far as people not "knowing" 'cause your hand gun is in a
Sneaky Pete - I'm surprised at just how many I have spotted on people - especially in AZ. Most have been older guys . . and I'm talking in seventy and eighty year old guys. Unfortunately, I don't think that most of them could react fas it need be let alone get it out of a SP holster. But if it makes them feel "ready" and "secure" - then more power to 'em. I'll stick to my Fobus holsters - easy on, easy off, lightweight and good retention but easily withdrawn if needed. Everybody has their preferences - that's why there so many different holsters out there. :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63