The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2000, 05:48 PM   #1
EQUALIZER

Does anyone know of a better all around / combat ready flashlight for under $40?

Just recently bought a Energizer Double Barrel - the model that takes 8 AA batteries. Why do I like it?

1. Very accessable: Its thin design allows me to slide it into my waistband or belt and draw it without need of a holster or loop. Its smooth, melted contours lend to quick deployment and reholstering. The larger diameter lens keeps it from falling through the belt or waistband.

2. Comparable to the Maglight 4 D cell light, but far thinner. This makes it easier to hold for those of us with average and small hands.

3. Flat design makes consistant indexing a breeze; even along side of a handgun. Forgive me for forgetting who to credit the type hold, but the switch placement and flat profile allow the middle, ring and pinkie fingers to wrap those of the shooting hand for a two hand hold. Can also hold one handed. (ie. Resting on shoulder and depressing button w/pinkie. Can see your plain sights this way....even though tritium inserts are usually best IMHO.)

4. Silent, momentary switch: touch on momentarily AND continueous on.

5. Option of using alkaline or cheap NI CD rechargables--instead of lithiums and expensive proprietary rechargables.

6. Adjustable lens with xenon bulb gives both a clean area wide flood and a dense white spot. Cheapest xenon bulbs I've found. $3 @ K-Mart or $5 factory direct.

7. Just long enough to make an effective defensive close range baton that is legal to carry into any building, I would guess...After all its innocent looking and just a flashlight..... right?....

8. Lightweight to carry all day and swing quickly. Al body w/ snug fitting batteries makes it pretty dense. The lens flares out on the botom of the grip for a secure hold that won't fly out of the hand unless the hand opens.

Drawback: Not so bright that it is blinding, like the more expensive xenon "tach" lights. It can light up a large area and spot bright enough to make out detail out past 75 yds with no problem. But up close, my underwater kinitics 4 AA dive light is far brighter (and lighter by the way.) Its strange how the DB can through a spot against trees well past 100 yds., but up close doesn't have the brightness of the bright UK.

This is getting tooooo long so I'll stop here.

The light retails (not what I paid for it) for $38.99 if memory is correct. Can I do better?

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old January 11, 2000, 10:30 AM   #2
leedesert

This is good for general purpose but I swear by surefire. I paid $70 for my 6Z and I did kinda cringe at the price. That was until I got it in the mail. I have never used a light that put more light in a given area. If you haven't tried one, and you really don't want to spend the extra money, don't try it ever. If you do try it I garauntee you will reach for your wallet. I also have a 5 D-cell Mag Light in my car. That little 4" Surefire is twice as bright as the Mag Lite is and that's probably being modest.

One of the important things you do when you use a flash light for defensive purposes is blind the bad guy. When you shine this in someones eye's they can leterally feel the heat from the light. I've tried it and saw spots for an hour.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old January 11, 2000, 03:31 PM   #3
EQUALIZER

Leedesert,

Thanks for the input. It is truly amazing what kind of intense light that a 100% xenon bulb can put out of one of those little packages. I think that my DB is a mixture of Xenon with halogen. I think the add for my smaller DB (model that takes 4 AAA batteries) said this was the case. The bigger two models I'm assuming are the same composition at a higher wattage filliment. Althesame, it doesn't compare to the intensity of the smaller (voltage too) Underwater Kinetics model "40", I think, mini dive light. It was $20 and also runs on AA batteries. I accidentally ruined one trying to install a momentary switch. It normally turns on by screwing the lens clockwise and is not what they call "positive". In spite of the cost of extra bulbs, which comes in a unit attached to the lens and costs $10, it is useful for everyday carry. I'm guessing that it compares more closely to your 6Z. It IS amazing the heat that reflects back from a mirror.

The problem I run into is this:

-I trained in Modern Arnis and can use a baton. Problem is that expandable batons are great for non-lethal defensive situations, but some in law enforcement might view it in negetive light if I were ever to need to use it.

-Batons take up lots of space on the belt and even the expandables are somewhat difficult to conceal.

Solution:

-The 8 cell Double Barrel takes up less space under the belt and is easier to conceal. In spite of only leaving me with 8" reach beyond the top of my hand, it works great for close range and would fill the bill against multiple unarmed opponents, where non-lethal force would be necessary.

-If I'm ever stoped at a fed bldg. or frisked for whatever reason, ie. traffic stop, it is an innocent looking albeit long flash light. A baton might be cause enough for someone wearing a badge to bring charges against me in areas I travel through.

Leedesert, what type of switch does the Surefire use and where on the light is it located? Does it take common batteries? If not, how much are replacements and replacement bulbs. I'm asking because I like a bright light, but want one that I will use all the time; to see my way to the front door, walking to my car on a busy street at night, etc., but won't cost a fortune to feed.

PS: I like your Sig. Not your Sig Sauer, unless you have one I do....your signature

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old January 12, 2000, 10:48 AM   #4
leedesert

The 6Z's as all surefires have a momentary on thumb switch on the back of the flashlight. To turn it on continuosely you just twist the rear section till it stays on. Kinda like the front of a mag light. The Sure Fires have a sealed light and lens assembly that cost about $10-$30 depending on model. I have used mine alot and dropped it alot and it hasn't burnt out yet. The important thing about a tactical light is that it focuses all the light in one specific area. This is why the light and lens is all one peice. This ensures that the optimal tuning of the lens beam is not altered. When you shine a Surefire on let's say a wall you see a solid circle of light with no hot spots or blank areas. Just a solid ball of light. When I mentioned feeling the heat I ment from about 10-15 feet away. Surefire also sells larger full size tactical lights used by police that will serve as a weapon but they are not cheap. My 6Z is small but they have one that is a full size terror (12Z). Most of their lights use Lithium baterries. Lithiums have long life and extened burn out time. When they start to die it fades (dims) gradually. This gives you time to get new batteries. Alkaline or NiCad will fade rapidly once they start dieing. By the time you realize it's getting dim you may have a few minutes left. Not good when you are depending on your light. http://uws.com/tactical_lights.html

Take care and good luck in you choice.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited January 12, 2000).]