The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 11, 2001, 01:33 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

As most of you know I run Edge-Works Manufacturing Company. This month we will be releasing a new line of products we call G-CODE Holsters and Accessories. These have been in the works for some time and offer much in the way of features and value. Sure I’m a little biased; that’s why I need your feed back.

Take a look on the site and tell me what you think.

http://www.range5.com

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old April 11, 2001, 02:37 PM   #2
David Scott

No holster for the Ruger P95?

Old April 11, 2001, 02:49 PM   #3
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Ruger holsters are scheduled for the end of the next series. As I can only make one mold at a time the available models will continue to grow month by month.

P-89; P-90; P-95 soon

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old April 12, 2001, 01:08 PM   #4
revolvergeek

Looks good, price seems good, but what? no revolvers!?!?!?!?

Need to make those for the S&W 686 and 640-1 :-)
Old April 13, 2001, 03:18 PM   #5
Sea Bass

Hi Scott,

Nice holsters! Does your company have any plans to make a combo holster to hold 1 mag and a compact light such as a surefire?

Thanks
Old April 13, 2001, 10:08 PM   #6
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Nothing for Lefties?

Looks good so far Scott - if I can make a suggestion, you may want to offer some close up views of the Kydex so that people can see what the details look like... for example, the slide grooves, what the texture looks like, attaching points, etc.

Spark
Old April 14, 2001, 06:39 PM   #7
blades67

Let me know when your company remembers that some of us shoot from the left side.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 15, 2001, 07:17 PM   #8
Rob62

Scott,

Good looking hoslters.

Rob
Old April 18, 2001, 10:34 AM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

These hosters rock to a shockingly high degree.
My beloved .45s ride in these now days.
They are great. You guys know I take my guns very seriously and I wont even joke when it comes to guns and gear. Now, about Action Movies and stuff sure... But I will not give a recomendation to something unworthy.
These holsters are very worthy.
I recomend them highly and they are even made by someone you can trust... one of your own TFL staffers. Scott has done a fantastic job on these rigs. I can use whatever holster I want - I have many. Out of all of them, I use the G-Code. These are seriously the first Kydex type rigs I actually like. They look good and they work better.
Old April 18, 2001, 08:55 PM   #10
PJ11B3VF7

Good looking holsters. Do you offer them with any kind of a cant or are they all straight drop?
Old April 18, 2001, 09:34 PM   #11
Backwoods

Personally, I'd like to be able to buy such a rig for a P35 HiPower.
Realisticly, there is a limited selection of holster types for the HiPower because the market base doesn't compare with the other, more popular, 1911A1, Glock etc. The makers have to go with what will keep them in business, especially at first.
Someday, Maybe?

Don in Ohio
Old April 19, 2001, 06:17 PM   #12
SPG

Scott, don't forget my Sig 229! spg
Old April 22, 2001, 06:45 PM   #13
Justin Moore

Looks good there Scott. However, how about some belt slides instead of those ICKY paddles :barf: hehehehe ?

What's the difference between the GCODE line, and the Tactical Edge stuff?

One final thought: whatever you do, don't listen to Spark
Old April 23, 2001, 10:39 PM   #14
Justin Moore

Scott,

I forgot to ask, how big are the standard belt channels? 1 1/2 inch? Thanks

Also, do the HK USP Models fit any of the USP's, ie 9/40/45?

Old April 24, 2001, 08:29 AM   #15
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

The Hi-Power, Ruger P-89, 90, 95; SIG 220, 226, and a few others will be in the next series.

A belt loop version followed by a killer IWB is also in the works along with all the mag carriers.

The Paddle is what is available right now. I think you will find the stability and bite from this setup exceeds any other of its type. It works equally well with a 1 ¾ or a 1 ½ belt. A nice feature is that when the belt loop is available you will not need to buy the entire holster as it will be interchangeable with the paddle. Just remove the Paddle and install the loop.

As we are able to we will begin offering “left handed” versions of all the rigs. G-CODE will be under development all this year with new releases every other month.

They will also be available through your local gun shop over the next 60-90 days, as a major distributor has picked us up. Be sure and ask for the G-CODE holsters when you are at your local shop.

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old April 26, 2001, 01:54 PM   #16
Matt VDW

Don't forget the wheelguns.
Old April 28, 2001, 07:21 PM   #17
Justin Moore

Scott,

Is the paddle itself adjustable for the different belt sizes? I'm not sure, but I 'think' Blade-Tech's stuff is like that, you can move the catches or whatever you wanna call them on the paddle to fit a different belt. Thanks again
Old April 29, 2001, 12:14 PM   #18
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Justin,
The paddles are not adjustable. However, they are removable and can be replaced with other paddles that offer variations. For instance right now there three options with regard to the paddles; a small straight drop, a large straight drop and a large 15 degree forward cant. We will add to this a cross draw sometime in the near future. Also, coming out is a belt loop attachment. It will interchange with the paddles. Our paddle design is very secure (IMO the most secure of all) offering three points of bite. The paddle is designed to work with up to a 1 ¾ “ belts but seems to work equally as well with a 1 ½ “. The mounting plate on the paddle is designed with a negative 5 degrees so that when the screws are cinched down the paddle hooks are forced tight against the holster. To reinforce this pressure and to add overall strength to the design without additional bulk a wedge shape is molded into the mounting area. Last the area where the screws are located are reinforced with a brass grommet. This grommet also serves as a locking surface for the screws to tighten down against. Lock tight is not necessary. To my knowledge no other paddle rig incorporates all the features and redundancies that ours dose. I wanted something that would be completely comfortable while entirely secure at the same time.

Look at the strength built into ours compared to some other popular methods.

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old April 29, 2001, 02:31 PM   #19
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Hey Scott, any news on that multi-angle adjuster that you showed us at Will's cabin last year? When will we be seeing those available?

Kevin
Old April 29, 2001, 04:30 PM   #20
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Spark Those will be on the Tactical Edge Holsters. They will not be ready until next Shot Show at the soonest. The tentative order of events for our projects is G-CODE Paddle series; G-CODE belt Loop series, Mag carriers followed by the G-CODE IWB. Finally after that is finished we will mirror the line for Left handers. When all that is complete we will begin calculating a date when we can unveil the Tactical Edge Line. The difference between the two lines are:

The G-CODE series is specifically designed to be the best holster value, bar none, under $40.00. Far better in quality, features and function then any $20 competitor and equal to or superior to anything the others are selling at $60 plus. Another goal of the line is instant availability to the end user. A major hurdle towards this end has been leaped as we have just been picked up by a major distributor. Soon (30-90 days) your local retailer will be able to order and stock The G-CODE line via their normal inventory channels. No three week or more wait just go to the gun shop and there they are. Now you may need to let your local guys know what you want but it will be available to them and you.

The Tactical Edge line is using a process that requires molds and fixtures that are more complicated than we used on the G-CODE line. As such development and tool up is longer.

Since tooling and the process has come up I would like to mention some of the technical aspects of the G-CODE line. The process involved in bring into being a G-CODE holster is the most advanced in the industry. That’s no bull just the hard truth. G-CODE is the first available truly reverse engineered line of form fitting holsters … ever. We start with a premium quality, hand made, hand tuned prototype that is formed from the actual geometry of the firearm. Once this prototype is tweaked to the point of proper fit and feel it is carefully dissembled and then digitized. Digitizing scans, 3 dimensionally, the tuned surfaces and creates a data point cloud. This cloud is then surfaced with our CAD software. With this file created the intricacies and nuances’ of the skilled hand maker can now be translated into a production format with no loss of feel. The file is further tweaked, as we can now, in infinite detail, measure for symmetry, add or detract, build slip channels or add mounting surfaces. Sure some others are using CAD and CNC in their process but they cannot recreate, starting from the keyboard, what we do starting with a premium hand made. Ours is a blend of man and machine and the exactness of fit with our process is unmatched by anyone. With the CAD file properly constructed a precision mold is then designed around the surface geometry, tool paths are created and our CNC machinery is put into play. First a test mold is cut. Then we mold parts, assemble several holsters and thoroughly test the rigs in house. If adjustments are needed we make them, re-cut the mold and repeat the process until no flaw can be identified. Next we send them out to our volunteer evaluators. This Corps of evaluators compromises some 30 individuals from all over the country from every walk of life and from varying levels of experience. Simply the best cross-section of shooters I could find. They have no mercy and always find something I need to know about! They have irreplaceable input regarding every aspect of our rigs. With this information in hand we proceed to the final phase of creating the long run production mold. When it is complete we are able to repeat with unmatched precision, in a production format, holster after holster with a hand-tuned fit.

And thus …

The developmental advancements of holsterology.

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old May 4, 2001, 04:06 PM   #21
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

As of yesterday morning the G-Code holsters have been IDPA approved.

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old May 11, 2001, 08:33 AM   #22
Coop57

Scott,
Don't forget us CZ75 guys out hear. I like the looks of yours better than the CenDex but they do have holsters for the CZ75.
Old May 12, 2001, 08:41 AM   #23
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Coop
CZ75’s are on my list also. At present however I can not give you a date as to when I will have them available.

Blades,
It will be a while before we get to the test phase for the lefty’s but I would be happy to include you. The broader the source of input in development the better the product. It involves a commitment to keep things confidential. Send me mail.

Through May we will not have much in the way of new releases as we plan to do over the remaining months of this year. For this month we are into acquiring proper retail packaging, refinement of our delivery processes and Inventory production of what we have so that all finished items are available for immediate shipment. The end of June we will show several new releases in the line.

Any help you guys can give in spreading the word is very much appreciated.

MOLON LABE !

www.range5.com
Old May 16, 2001, 11:31 PM   #24
JAFO216

Hi Scott . I work for a co. that builds Wilson Holsters so its great to talk with fellow holster builders . I just was wondering if you had experimented with making your holster wrap completely around the front thereby eliminating the two front rings . it should not be to hard . Also if you need them I can give you an address of where to get clicker dies made for your design . I really like the design of the paddle part itself that looks tough enough buddy to drive a truck over . I havent got into Kydex yet only leather and exotics but I am wanting to build a personal kydex rig soon . I might have to ask your advice on that . also you mentioned you did not have a mold for a p-95 yet , do you make your own gun molds or what . If you need I have addreses for the mold makers to . If I can help you any let me know . If you already know all this just tell eme to shut up . Sometimes I try to help those that already know what they are doing . Later Buddy .
Old May 16, 2001, 11:35 PM   #25
JAFO216

P.S. I really like the protective part along the top of the gun , that has long been incorporated into our designs and I am sure you know the reasons why . Anyone without that part hasnt really carried much have they . Later man .