The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2017, 01:39 PM   #26
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDivider View Post
TunnelRat, I can't remember where I saw/heard it but but I think long barreled, hot 44 mag can just hit the threshold where shock like from rifle rounds happens. That being said like hell im carrying a long barreled 44 mag for self defense. I carry a compact loaded up with 9mm hornady critical defense 115 grain standard pressure.
Like I said some exceptions. Long barreled 44 mag or 10mm are some of those that get really close and maybe will, I just haven't watched a lot of those tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 9, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old February 9, 2017, 05:38 PM   #27
Brian48

My top choice is really whatever I can get either locally or via mail-order. Living in this moonbat state, my mail-order options are limited.

Right now, I use either Win 147gr Defend or Federal 150gr HST with my Ruger SR9C, which I use as an EDC gun. 124gr HSTs or Win PDX1 in my Beretta 92FS.
Old February 9, 2017, 05:48 PM   #28
TunnelRat

I will note that in the current glut the market is in right now I've seen some of the best prices for SD ammo in years. That and it's actually available in decent quantities. It's a buyer's market.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 9, 2017, 07:06 PM   #29
FairWarning

While I have stockpiles of the "Big 3", that is HST, Ranger and Gold Dot in standard and +P, I have found that Hornady TAP 124 gr +P shoots exceptionally well in my Beretta 92. Generally better than the Big 3 in fact. The very first time I shot it, I was hounding the bullseye at 25 yds. So I count that among my options. Yes, yes, I know TAP is not in the internet-sanctified "Cool Kid's Club", but I'm not worried. I carry several of the "Outsiders" from time to time when they work very well in a particular gun.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:11 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Yes, yes, I know TAP is not in the internet-sanctified "Cool Kid's Club", but I'm not worried.
Lol, okay? Yea Hornady is so obscure. Only the hipsters use it.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:15 PM   #31
FairWarning

^^^^^^^

Actually, the internet hipsters will be the first to tell you it's not on The List.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:21 PM   #32
TunnelRat

I guess. Hornady is one of the biggest names in defense ammo.
Old February 10, 2017, 09:46 AM   #33
MandolinMan

Whatever happened to the famous Corbon 115+P loading? It seemed to have developed quite a reputation in the 1990's, yet I don't ever hear about it anymore. Is is still being manufactured?
Old February 10, 2017, 10:10 AM   #34
TunnelRat

^ To my knowledge I think so.
Old February 10, 2017, 03:28 PM   #35
ShootistPRS

If I was to use my 9mm for self defense I would test different bullets and loads in my Fackler Box. I have tested all my hunting ammo in it and my 357 magnum self defense ammo. The results of penetration can be compared to ballistic gelatin (they are a specific ratio). The expansion in a Fackler Box is identical to that in gelatin.

The lie that the temporary cavities or wound channels are important can be dismissed. The internal organs and tissues are elastic enough that things may be moved around but most of the "killing power" comes from actual cut tissues caused by interference with the bullet itself. This has been proven over and over since the mid 1900s especially with rounds that are less than hyper-sonic (below 3000 fps at impact).

All the benefits of ballistics gelatin are there with a Fackler Box - repeatability and consistency are better than with wet paper or other things used for testing and the penetration measurement is down to the inch. If you are going to test terminal ballistics building a strong Fackler Box is a good investment.
Old February 10, 2017, 04:01 PM   #36
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandolinMan
Whatever happened to the famous Corbon 115+P loading? It seemed to have developed quite a reputation in the 1990's, yet I don't ever hear about it anymore. Is is still being manufactured?
I don't think they've updated the bullet much for that loading since the '90s, and the advertised velocity of 1350 fps probably scares a lot of potential customers who don't want to damage their guns. They definitely don't appear to be greasing the palms of any gun magazine writers or major retailers either.

But the human body hasn't evolved much since then, so they are still quite deadly.
Old February 10, 2017, 05:40 PM   #37
whitearrow

from my home defense glock 17 to my vehicle protection glock 26 to my on person glock 43. they all are stoked with winchester ranger 147 grain t-series. its just hard to beat the penetration and those "deadly talons" are kinda cool to.
if i didn't carry ranger's it would be either hst's or gold dot's all in 147 grain standard pressure. imho the wear and tear and more recoil don't give me that much if any edge over a standard pressure round.
Big Ed
Old February 11, 2017, 01:38 AM   #38
Bamashooter

My only 9mm handgun is a Glock 43. The most accurate out of my 43 was the Gold Dot 124gr+p short barrel. Ive always tended to lean towards bullets that were a little faster over the slower and heavier bullets.
Old February 11, 2017, 10:05 AM   #39
MandolinMan

My current choices are:

Speer Gold Dot 124+P
Remington Golden Saber 124+P
Hornady XTP 124+P
Old February 11, 2017, 03:11 PM   #40
Jackson Hammersmith

Gold dot 124's for my Shield and G19
Old February 12, 2017, 02:54 PM   #41
ShootistPRS

How many gun makers actually say they can be used with 9mm +P?
Old February 12, 2017, 02:58 PM   #42
TunnelRat

9mm Self Defense Loads: Your Choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootistPRS View Post
How many gun makers actually say they can be used with 9mm +P?

I used to know more of them, but off the top off my head the HK USP.

Most companies will have a section in the manual where they mention that +P will increase wear, but the majority don't straight out forbid its use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 12, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old February 12, 2017, 06:01 PM   #43
Spats McGee
Staff

I use Remington Golden Sabers, bonded 124 grain. I think they're +p, but I'm not sure at the moment.
Old February 13, 2017, 07:29 PM   #44
Cyanide971

9mm Self Defense Loads: Your Choice?

Primarily 115gr Gold Dots, 124gr HST, and still have a few 135gr Critical Duty and 147gr XTP in the ammo locker. Everything is standard pressure as well.