The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 3, 2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Jimber87

m1 garand parts question (date and condition)

first off im new to the forum so hi everyone. second, i just purchased a m1 garand rifle from a local gun shop. i had some extra loot and the price seemed reasonable so i got one. however i have really no knowledge about the m1 other than a few youtube videos and what i have been able to gather on the interwebs. so i bring my questions to you guys, who seem to be more knowledgeable about this rifle then me. from what i can gather the receiver is a SA and was made march 1945 and then was rebarreled in 1947. as for the other parts on the rifle there are some stamps im not familiar with and have not been able to find much info on them if anyone could shed some light on the maker and date of the other parts that would be awesome. and also the marking on the receiver that says TE 11-65. also whats your opinions on condition and value of this gun.

sorry for such a long post, didnt want to leave anything out

PICs
http://s16.beta.photobucket.com/user/jimber/library/m1
Old February 3, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Martowski

Anything marked HRA is Harrington & Richardson, a maker of M1's for the US government starting at the tail end of the Korean War. Your op rod and possibly trigger group (or at least the safety lever; the rest of the trigger group appears to be International Harvester).

It's hard to say just by looking, but your rifle appears to be roughly equivalent to a CMP Service Grade rifle (althought it's impossible to tell without looking closer and measuring the bore erosion). As for value? That's subjective. $625 will get you a great Service Grade M1 from the US Government, but I routinely see similar rifles going on Gunbroker anywhere from $800 - $1,000. Value is all in how happy you are with the gun. If you're happy, then it's worth it!

Enjoy! The Garand is an awesome rifle and what matters if that you have one.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Martowski

BTW, while these forums are great the CMP has some great forums where you'll find EXPERTS on the M1 rile, parts markings, histories, etc. And, welcome to the forum!
Old February 3, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
chris in va

I suspect the "TE-65" is someone's personal mark. I took the stock off my 1945 and found a Greek name scratched into the wood.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Jimber87

thanks for the help. after looking on the cmp forums for a few hours i came across a post showing the TE mark on the receiver and apparently its a rebuild from tooele depot and the mark is the month and date it was rebuilt and re-parkerized. its pretty amazing the history these old m1's have. i haven't been able to stop researching them since i got mine.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Martowski

The M1 is an awesome rifle, so full of history and a blast to shoot. And crazy accurate as well!
Old February 4, 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Orlando

The TE-65 inscription means was rebuilt at Tooele arsenal 1965. These 1960's rebuilds are some of my favorites and I think will become more colectable in years to come. I have several of them
If rifle hasnt been fired much since the rebuild everything should be in good mechanical condition and would fall within the Service Grade category$625
As already stated these would sell higher on the secondary market $825-850
Nice Garand
Old February 4, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Jimber87

yea thats about what i paid for it, at a local gun store. ive been wanting one for a while and im not a member of a CMP affiliated club, so ordering from cmp wasnt an option. although i am thinking about joining one so i can possibly order another cheaper garand
Old February 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
jaughtman

CMP Update

I live in Central Alabama and went by the CMP last weekend. If you are expecting to order a "$625 Service Garand" anytime soon, don't get your hopes up. The racks were pretty empty and the only ones I saw for under $1000 were the Springfield re-builds (restocked) for around $995. I guess they had the same run on their guns recently that most of our LGS' did.

J
Old February 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Orlando

Whats in the racks at the North or South stores has nothing to do with whats available.
Rifles are shipped from a differnt area. Yes stock in the stores are limited but Service Grades are not sold out , just takes a month or so to fullfill order in mail order

Here is a cheap easy way to fullfill CMP's club membership requirements
The M1 Collectors, only $14 for a full year
http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/
Old February 4, 2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Jimber87

yea i saw they have 2 stores one in alabama and one in ohio
Old February 4, 2013, 11:12 PM   #12
jaughtman

Correct Orlando....

That has me the bug again. The two Service Grades are Springfield and HR. Any idea on why one would pick one over the other?

J
Old February 5, 2013, 08:25 AM   #13
MMV.30

@Jimber87 If you're looking for more info on the subject get the book "The M-1 Garand 1936-1957" by Joe Poyer (North Cape Productions). Everthing is covered in this book with photos, illustrations and charts. A great book. I purchased mine for under $40 from Amazon.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:26 PM   #14
30Cal

Pretty decent mixmaster rifle. Condition of the muzzle would make a $50-100 difference in value. I haven't looked at M1's in a year or so. You could probably sell it for 700-750?