The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 17, 2013, 04:41 PM   #76
Duzell

oh thats just a slip on on eits not as big as it looks, its just because the boyds standard isnt as strong as the recoil i had on the old stock
Old April 17, 2013, 05:08 PM   #77
Duzell

Mosin black lightning

well ive been having issues fitting the mosin in my cases, ive had to remove the bipod and attach it while at the range and detach when i leave, i think ill get a under rail mount on the first swivel stud, then mount the bipod to my rail mount

also rethinking the archangel stock, the boyds may not make it detachable and expand number of rounds, but it looks better and i have stuff already for it.

im actually thinking about getting a saiga 7.62x39 and do a project on that rifle to make it a tactical/distance shooter

ALSO side note.

mosin 9130 with forward scope and boyds stock fits in a BULLDOG soft case nice but you need to have no bipod on it
Old April 17, 2013, 09:32 PM   #78
Duzell

current repaint as i found after taking BL apart i had messed u the paint underneath. this time i repainted the ENTIRE gun with flameproof paint, which is a high header paint, which is matt black and takes crazy amount of heat so now i have reliability on the paint. one thing i did do was sand the stamp by the warehouse that was sharp and edgy, now its painted and looks awesome

i may paint my trigger a different color just to make it unique

Old April 21, 2013, 10:38 PM   #79
Duzell

Archangel stock

well

ive ordered my stock and a 10 round mag with that,

im also thinking about doing a bent bolt swap, meaning i get another bolt that i can swap with my standard any time i feel like it.

for reminder
the Black lightning mosin project is about building a mosin that can swap to different modes with ease and low amount of time

currently i have the ability to swap to these modes
standard(origional military)/ sporter(hunting rifle)/ and coming in may tactical (modern battle version)

the mosin visually appears different and accuracy changes with parts used on stocks

so far boyds puts out well, save i hate the built in recoil pad and i have to use a slip on over it.

i will mount a swivel stud onto new stock and use a under pitcanny rail with stud to have bipod and a sling

i may get a flash light for it at some point. rember any of these parts are options you can use that will not hurt, damage, or alter the mosin permanently as i know many have their views and i respect them. i personally seem perma mods as a waste of time when bolt on stuff seems to be just as good or better in some cases. i had a friend tell me if i would just send time to zero the scope and stop showing off on irons the rifle would be a epic longshot. so far this mosin has actually been shot by lots of people and ive actually made a few people into mosin lovers by using it. its just funny as scope is unzeroed so i use irons
Old April 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #80
Duzell

Black Lightning - Mosin 9130

well i had fun shooting at the ranch again.(were i do most of the shots for pics and even a video i just did demonstrating the power of a mosin bullet)
so i go up and bring the mosin and a bunch of people show up and bring there guns and we shoot and compare

first up i was brought a orange ballistic ball, i was sketchy but the guy said it could take anything up to a 50 call, my dad and me were not so sure (my father brought his m1 garand btw) i personally dont like the m1 but i love the m1a so (shrug) its a personal issue.

so i set the ball on top of the typical target range at 50 yards and used irons and put a bullet dead center (if i cant do that 50 yards id have hit myself)

the ball took it good but it had been drilled good by BL, its was a solid hole, the decompressing ballistic polymer was reforming but still a nice hole all the way through, so NO not good for high caliber rounds, i don't recommend them for 308, 7.62(39 or 54(r)) , 30-6

though mainly i let others shoot my gun as they seemed to really enjoy it, my buddy whos mosin hunting finally said screw it and is getting a savage axis, though hes mad cuz he really wanted a m44. i feel for the guy but we looked our best. and now my other friend who shot yesturday wants a mosin to, oy... were will i find one...
Old April 24, 2013, 12:46 PM   #81
tahunua001

Quote:
for reminder
the Black lightning mosin project is about building a mosin that can swap to different modes with ease and low amount of time

currently i have the ability to swap to these modes
standard(origional military)/ sporter(hunting rifle)/ and coming in may tactical (modern battle version)

the mosin visually appears different and accuracy changes with parts used on stocks

so far boyds puts out well, save i hate the built in recoil pad and i have to use a slip on over it.

i will mount a swivel stud onto new stock and use a under pitcanny rail with stud to have bipod and a sling
can a feller just point out that you can't swap back to military configuration because of the paint? you can slap the wood back on it but it will never have the same collectors value again which a year ago I wouldn't bat an eye at but considering that they have almost doubled in value in the last 2 years, appreciation will leave your rifle in the dust I'm afraid.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:21 PM   #82
Duzell

mosins collector value wasnt really the point which is nill value wise currently, you dont need to modify the paint, the boyds to original is nothing more than un screwing the bolts out and re screw into a different stock without modifying the rifle. and as mosins are still active in military today and are cheaply built im not surprised by the value level. its not going to be the same value class as my m1 garand, not happening. a mosin in terms of original design is good, the add on equipment makes for a very customizable rifle anyone can work on without needing knowledge of gunsmiths.

now the reason to repaint was due to a safety reason as my rifle (older post) has rust that was eating through it, i had to sand and clean off the the rust and i just decided to eliminate the paint, JB weld the rust spots, sand, until smooth and even, then repainted with rustolem flat black. so far it looks nice, and functions well.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:25 PM   #83
Duzell

currently the mosin project is revolving around a rifle that can swap between points, someday i may do permanent mods , but do far its just fun to swap.

ive ordered a swivel stud underrail mod for boyds stock

ive ordered a military spec grip with bipod steel legs built in. this will eventually be put onto the archangel stock, and im hopeing that gets here soon.

value wise i cans sell my mosin with all the equipment for over 200 easily ive had someone offer me 400 at the range, mainly i feel mosins get a bad rep becuase of the inaccuracy of some, but mine has always been pretty close groups and ive tack drived a couple of times, with the conversion kit and forward grip/bipod im hoping to improve my groups(and zero my scope would help as im using irons )
Old May 9, 2013, 12:12 PM   #84
Duzell

mosin currently till i get archangel stock

underrail, blackhawk swivel stud adapter

MOSINPLUS muzzle break

grg mfg bipod, grip

(grip has a button which shoots out the 2 steel legs) overall i HIGHLY reccomend the grips for the shorter barreled mosins mainly for tactical speed, but even on this long barrel 9130 i was clearing rooms in my house faster than ever and it made for quick target aquizition (yes i did it unloaded)

ive also decided to take off my scout scope+mount as till AA stock is in, it will be annoying to resight it all over again, plus im good on irons so no issues. im currently stocking up what i can as all stores are out of my usual ammo (brown bear)

scope is ncstar, i may get scope caps for it as people tend to not take them off when shooting it, i have to tell them too.....so ya ....

this is so far the model of the tacticle setup on sporter stock, but it will be more effective on the AA stock setup, but i highly reccomened the bodys stocks as they are high quality and will tighten grouping, just make sure its built for your type

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...90259379_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...05775378_n.jpg

Last edited by Duzell; May 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:04 PM   #85
Duzell

ok i have to say i have shot the mosin with a ncstar scope, took 100 rounds no issue, no movement, my only complaint is its only 7x max power, i shoot farther than this scope can see on irons.. kinda depressing actually

so im looking around for a scope with higher power and is illuminated with a eye relief of 6 minimum , my hopes is that i can find one cheap, but im not holding my breath....

also ive decided i would go back and start painting my origional stock and maybe do a camo project with it

Old May 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #86
Duzell

bought some low rings, from sun optics, the design was kinda unique so i thought id give them a try

in two weeks my buddy and i , are planning to go shooting , hopefully the AA opfor stock is in and ill play with the scope, if not, ill just iron site her

the guns involved will be a ruger american that im helping him customize
and
the bl mosin nagant rifle
(maybe my dad will join us)
we will compare accuracy, his scope Vs my irons(or ill try zeroing in my scope)
maybe do a video will take pics.

i doubt we will go past 100yrds as hes a new shooter, but he wants to work towards 300

Last edited by Duzell; May 28, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 05:05 PM   #87
shadowviper

How do you like that brake?
Old May 28, 2013, 07:59 PM   #88
tahunua001

I'm afraid that you'll have significant difficulty finding a LER scope with more than 7 power. IIRC the idea of the scout rifle which is pretty much the basis for all LER scopes called for a fixed 4 power. the fact that you found one as high as 7 power is actually pretty impressive. however I fail to see how anyone can claim that they have better utitily at long range with iron sights than scope with any level of magnification. at a certain point you need a scope just to even make out what you are shooting at and 7x is much higher than the average scout rifle.

also I wouldn't call it much of a competition if you are pitting a brand new shooter against a fairly well versed shooter, no matter what guns are used. if you plan on actively comparing accuracy between the two it would be best to have both shooters fire both rifles as a control. I'm pretty sure that if you handed me my POS MAS36 and my girlfriend my Ruger M77 MKII target I'd probably get better accuracy than her despite the ruger being a much more accurate rifle.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #89
Duzell

@shadowviper

the brake works well, it locks in place easily, no issues, shooting wise, i have WAY less recoil, its not even a joke how much it actually reduces the muzzle rise. there is a guy called zane g that makes a similar one that has a style like a barrett's break but its 150$'s whereas this one was 45$'s from mosin plus, same exact effect, and i like the style of this as it look better engineered, and reduces some flash as well, it just snaps on with a twist and tightening 2 cone screws on bottom

@tahunua001

ya i am finding the ler scopes to be a pain in the butt, i will most likely now get a rock solid mount and bolt and drop in a 100$ scope and be done with the ler's. i like normal scopes on all my rifles, this was just something to try. now ill send BL and the mount to a gunsmith i know.but the brass stacker has no knocks against it it was built right and tight.

i will do all the shooting with both rifles myself on separate targets to show accuracy at 50 yards. then let my buddy shoot both if he wants. so far we have no clue when we will do this as my summer schedule keeps getting filled.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:24 PM   #90
Duzell

video

not a shooting video just a quick overview, sorry the sound and video are off, i am have technical difficulty with my phones camcord app

video
Old June 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #91
Duzell

mosin just got its rock solid bolt on, i set the mount on as well to see how it worked

looking at a barska scope 6-24 power
Old June 7, 2013, 06:16 PM   #92
tahunua001

just so you know barskas are notorious for rattling apart with anything that kicks more than a 223. some don't have issues but the general consensus is that barskas on a full powered rifle are just a bad idea.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #93
Duzell

ya ive heard that, the one i was looking at has a lifetime gaurantee,

i was looking for a scope in the hundreds with
6-24 power, illumination and adjustable parallax, and the barska seemed to have all that. for 144$

any other suggestions???
Old June 7, 2013, 11:57 PM   #94
tahunua001

nothing in that price range but what barska advertizes and what you get are very different. I bought that same scope before I realized it was a bad idea.
the paralax is far from accurate. at 100 yards you clearest picture is near 300 while at 700 your clearest picture is at the 500 setting. also, full power zoom is little more effective than 12 power from a good vortex, nikon or bushnell hunting scope. that scope is barely fit to be mounted to a 10/22(which is what it's mounted to, incidentally), no less a full powered centerfire. don't be upset if this scope fails to live up to expectations.

I've learned that if it's not made in USA, at least settle for made in Japan because made in China scopes like barskas just don't measure up to marketing.

PS: from your last pic it does not appear that your bolt can cam all the way to the closed position, you may want to inlet that stock or you could have a serious problem.
Old June 8, 2013, 07:41 PM   #95
Duzell

yes i was aware of that, i was putting it in and getting a reference point of contact, ill use a digrinder to inlet the stock, some files to clean the edges and then wet sand to finish it so it looks nice again.

so what scope would you suggest, i could spend 200 but im trying to keep this within a budget, i am going to contact barska and see their recommendation

only other scope i could think of is a Bushnell or Leopold and those get expense really quick
Old June 8, 2013, 10:29 PM   #96
tahunua001

for $200 there is nothing that I can recommend with '6-24x' zoom, adjustable paralax, illuminated reticules and all the fancy long range turrets that the barska flashes. however, a Nikon prostaff or redfield revolution in 4-12X would be very decent scopes for a rifle of this setup and would be a great improvement for irons out to 500+ yards and would not be hard to find for less than $200. they just wouldn't have any of the bells and whistles that barska incorporates to make their stuff more marketable.
Old June 10, 2013, 02:49 PM   #97
Duzell

i dont really need the illumination other than i shoot late sometimes, the parallax would be nice, but not necessary , mainly id need water,fog,shock resistant as i do take the mosin through creeks, forests. im not into hunting, i mainly shoot at range or at ranch area. i need to first get my mount on , and the bolt gap inlet on stock, then ill get a scope.

another thought occurs to me, what scope would be good for a 30 06 ? as that caliber is supposedly equivalent to the 7.62x54r
Old June 10, 2013, 08:38 PM   #98
tahunua001

generally speaking anything that can handle the recoil of 7.62x54r can also handle the recoil of a 30-06. bushnell, redfield, nikon, leupold, vortex... take your pick. barska, tasco, and most of those other scopes you see at walmart in blister packs have nasty habits of coming apart when strapped on top of one of those WWII 'man killer rounds'.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #99
tobnpr

For two bills, I'd get a 6-18 Vortex Crossfire. A bit less magnification but 18x is enough for any distance you're going to shoot.

WIth Vortex, the lifetime warranty means if you ever have a problem you'll have it back in days...not months.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #100
Duzell

good point on that, i was looking at red fields when i got a reply from barska email, they guarantee the sniper scopes ,tactical and ridgerunners to stand up to a 30 06 and a 7.62x54r rounds

also side note archangel stocks will now be offered in a varity of colors

black
tan
olive green