The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 27, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1
jonesh529

Help shooting (looking down the sights) !!

Hello i am new to guns and havent bout one yet but i have went to a few shooting ranges to test some. A friend of mine taught me how to shoot but didnt teach me how to look down the sights, the stance etc. Is there any videos or whatever that i can look at??

I have been trying learn on my own by watching others but i want to be accurate (i know comes with practice).

thanks
Old June 27, 2011, 07:30 PM   #2
kraigwy

Two of the best books out there @ $6.95 each from the best shooters/instructors in the world.

Both books deal with competition, which you can ignor right now, but both also deal with Marksmanship Fundamentals which can't be ignored. Get the fundamentals down then diside where you want to go from there.

Start with the Rifle Here:

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=

Here is the one for the pistol:

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 27, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
raimius

Well, then, your friend didn't teach you how to shoot very well at all!

I recommend taking a class, or at least getting lessons from someone who formally teaches basic shooting on a regular basis.

FIRST, learn the Four Rules by heart and FOLLOW THEM!
http://thefiringline.com/library/safetyrules.html

Sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger squeeze are the basics of a decent shot.

This video gets most things right (disagree with his thumb placement and part of his stance, but those are more preferences than right/wrong).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoGzZxdbOE
Old June 28, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Mobuck

Don't want to be snippy but how can someone "teach you how to shoot" w/o teaching sight alignment and proper stance? On the plus side, apparently neither were injured during the training.
Find a knowledgeable person willing to actually show you the basics and take the time to learn beyond a doubt the safety warnings about gun handling.
I've taught folks from those who've never have touched a firearm through competition shooters and it's not something you learn in an hour. As long as you learn the safe handling aspects, the rest will come with practice.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Unistat76

If you are talking about handguns, this illustration represents a proper sight picture. The tops of the sights are even and the front sight is just below where you want to hit. The target and rear sight are out of focus and the front sight is sharp.

You will be aiming with your dominant eye. If you can learn to shoot with both eyes open, awsome. If not don't worry too much about it. Either way, you should identify your dominant eye. to do this, make a circle with your thumb and forefinger. Extend your arm and put something in the circle (it should be at least 15 feet away.) A wall clock works great. Slowly bring the circle to your face, keeping the far objct in the circle. When your hand gets to your face, the eye that you hand is over is your dominant eye.
Old June 28, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6
jonesh529

Well he wasnt a professional and he told me some of it. i know that there was more to it and i actually think i did a decent job using the sights from looking online but i did not know if there was a certain way. i didnt know if you should use both eyes or close one. i will get the training really soon after i find the handgun i want. also he taught me the majority of the things to do to remain safe.
Old June 28, 2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

First choice would be to take a class. If an NRA certified instructor near you offers the NRA Basic Handgun class, that would be a good start.

Also, check out The Cornered Cat. It's put together by Kathy Jackson, who is a moderator here (known as "pax") and an excellent instructor. While it's geared to women, it's a great resource for anyone.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube, but many are awful and plain wrong. This one is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesh529
...i will get the training really soon after i find the handgun i want....
Think about taking an NRA Basic Handgun class first. Most instructors will supply everything, including guns for the live fire part of the class. And taking the class can help you make the best choice of a gun for yourself. A lot of folks change their ideas about what kind of gun they want after they've taken some training.
Old June 28, 2011, 03:55 PM   #8
jonesh529

ok thanks for the info. i will look into the class and check out the video. i have shot 4 guns so far S&W M&P9, Ruger SR9, Ruger p95 and SA XD9.