The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Hook686

Don't use a car door for cover

A simple word to the wise ... a short video clip which also compares 9mm to 50 caliber effects.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/sho...c-effects-9mm-

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; June 9, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
JerryM

i did not watch the vid, but I would rather use a car door than nothing.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Skadoosh

A car door is more concealment than cover...but it can offer some cover in certain circumstances. Like the obove poster said, its better than nothing.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
45Gunner

Long story but without the gory details, had a deranged guy unload a shotgun loaded with lead slugs at me. At the time, I was in an old Ford sedan when they built them strong. The window was down which probably made a difference. Three slugs hit the door but did not penetrate. As I hit the gas pedal and peeled away, three rounds hit the trunk and did penetrate.

The distance between the shooter and the car was about 15 feet. End of story...we drove to the police station. The shooter was arrested and pleaded guilty to aggravated battery. I thought it should have been attempted murder but since we were not bodily hit, it was indeed aggravated battery. Shooter got what he deserved....lots of jail time.

My lesson learned. Never help a girlfriend retrieve anything she says she left behind at her previous rental apartment when the landlord is not tightly wrapped. And a car door is better than nothing at all. It saved my life that day.
NRA Life Member
Old June 9, 2011, 10:26 AM   #5
9-ball

Quote:
i did not watch the vid, but I would rather use a car door than nothing.
Jerry
Couldn't agree more. Besides, those 7.62x39mm rounds might penetrate from outside the weapons range, but that doesn't mean 9mm and especially shotgun loads will penetrate beyond their range.
Old June 9, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
spacecoast

Good video. I wish they would have repeated all the shots with the car door. Seems as if the AK is a little more potent than the 9mm and the .357, at a minimum, and I think a car door is way better than nothing for handgun fire.

Another point is that the full auto fire looks impressive, but it's unlikely you will run into it, and also that any individual bullet does the same damage whether it's fired full auto or not.

Last edited by spacecoast; June 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

If you're lucky, the bullet will hit a double-layered portion of the window regulator; there's always that chance, making the door, as has already been said, better than nothing. In many cars nowadays there is also a crash bar welded to the door. Anything inside the door will help some. If it is the only cover I have, I would certainly use it.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
old bear

Quote:
Never help a girlfriend retrieve anything she says she left behind at her previous rental apartment when the landlord is not tightly wrapped
Been there done that, yet never with your exciting results thank goodness. Maybe there is something to be said for old Fords'
Old June 9, 2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Skans

I guess I was surprised at the huge difference between .50 BMG and any of the other rounds. I somewhat expected it to just go through and through without transferring that much energy.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:04 PM   #10
ripnbst

Car door is better than nothing and if you are subjected to .50 bmg fire and in a standard car you're fighting for the wrong side.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:02 PM   #11
FireForged

Thre are lots of things inside a car door.. Panels, Electric motors, metal bracketing, glass, outter metal skin, inner composit skin... All Of Which Are Harder Than My Skin.

If a car door is all I have then its what I will use.. Same as a garbage can or wooden post. Its easy to say, dont use a car door as cover- if there is a brick wall available.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:30 PM   #12
Mello2u

Quote:
Hook686

Don't use a car door for cover
A car door might significantly reduce the damage done to you from a lightly constructed handgun bullet, and other handgun bullets would impart some of their energy getting through the car door before hitting your body.

A class IIIA bullet resistant vest would not stop or reduce (much) the effect of a 7.62 x 39 bullet.

I remember reading a magazine article from decades ago where the author shot some popular (for the times) handgun cartridges into a car trying to hit a plywood target placed in the driver's location. He found that the 200gr lead round nose .38 spl from a 2" revolver would not penetrate the windshield or the car door. I think the velocity was about 600 fps. The 115gr HP 9mm only penetrated the windshield about 50% of the time and what got through was so deflected and reduced in power it would not penetrate a 1/4" plywood target. The 125gr HP .357 magnum would shatter the windshield but not penetrate. The 158gr HP .357 magnum always penetrated.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 9, 2011, 10:32 PM   #13
MLeake

The only reason you should use a car door is if you are actively driving out of the area.

Otherwise, you will get much more protection from the engine block (crouching/kneeling) or the wheels (prone).
Old June 9, 2011, 11:24 PM   #14
9mm

They didn't shoot at a car door, but a barrel of water... It's a little different.

Anyway, get out of your car if your getting shot at, its a death trap inside. Get to the back where the trunk is, all that metal. If the shooter is coming from the front of the car that is.
Old June 10, 2011, 12:27 AM   #15
9-ball

they shoot the car door in the end 9mm, but only with the AK which unsurprisingly penetrates.
Old June 10, 2011, 05:31 PM   #16
m17s_guy

Also, if you look at the distance they are shooting, it is going to be handgun range. Maybe 40 yards max. A .22 rifle will penetrate that stripped down car door at that distance....

But even though the video seriously slanted the sights on the usefulness of a car door as cover. Using that car door is better than running out into the open to better cover 45 yards away under fire.
Old June 11, 2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Catfishman

Car doors and body panels are much better cover than you would think.

Penetration lessens greatly if the bullet doesn't hit at a 90 degree angle.

If you don't believe me, check out all of the police videos showing cars being hit dozens of times and nobody inside is hit, much less killed. Any one bullet could go through, but they usually don't.

It is hard to get bullets into a car.
Old June 11, 2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Doc TH

car door

Agree, it is better than air.
Penetration into cars depends a great deal on bullet shape and construction, but mostly on the angle of strike. A number of people, including the late Jim Cirillo have demonstrated that as the strike angle deviates from 90 deg, penetration goes down. Cirillo demonstrated that a round nose bullet will deflect most readily.
The Russians knew this long ago; that's why the T-34 tank had sloped armor. Even a shell travelling parallel to the ground will strike the armor at less than 90 deg., to the consternation of the Wehrmacht at the time.
Old June 13, 2011, 03:42 PM   #19
Sleuth

I have a video from a Federal Agency where they fired about 300 rounds of 9mm, .38,.357, .45, and 12 gauge buck at a sedan with two cardboard targets in it. They fired from dead ahead, and then from the left side, at about 10-15 feet.

1. Neither target had a hit on it.
2. They started up the car and drove it about 100 yards, flat tires, leaking fluids, and all.

Also, stop by a wrecking yard and check out what is inside a car door. It offers much more protection than a tee shirt.

But as noted the best thing to do is use the car to exit the kill zone!
Or, remember that a Ford at 30 MPH has more energy than the heaviest .500 S&W load - deadly force is deadly force.

Last edited by Sleuth; June 13, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old June 13, 2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Glenn Dee

Any cover is better than no cover at all...
Old June 13, 2011, 10:47 PM   #21
MLeake

Any cover may be better than no cover at all, but if you are going to use a car for cover, how much harder is it to get behind a solid structure (wheel, engine block) than to get behind a door?
Old June 13, 2011, 11:04 PM   #22
9mm

Depends on the vehicle. We used to own this station wagon, I swear the doors were paper thin. On our other cars they are much thicker.
Old June 14, 2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Sleuth

There appear to be some hidden presumptions here, including in my own post: Are you in the car, or out of it?
Is the car moving, or stopped? Can you move the car?
What direction is the attack coming from - front, rear, drivers side, passenger side?
Can you drive out of the kill zone, or are you truly blocked in? Could you get out by driving on the sidewalk?

And most important:
Are you the target of a dedicated attack, or just blocking someone's escape?

All of them change the potential answers. First, as always, we must define our terms and frame of reference.
Old June 14, 2011, 05:59 PM   #24
WW2

See the Box O' Truth!

Pistols: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot3.htm

Rifles: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot4.htm

I have seen the information here verified in the "Best Defense" on the outdoor channel.

Bottom line: "Cars are bullet magnets, get behind the engine block if you can't get away from the car. Then, get away for the car ASAP!"

Edit:

Windsheilds too!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm

Don't forget the shotguns versus the car!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot5.htm

And finally, the engine:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot7.htm

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Last edited by WW2; June 14, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 03:22 AM   #25
8shot357

Quote:
I did not watch the vid, but I would rather use a car door than nothing.
I think they should look for Gander Mountain first.

Or instead, look for the nearest couch.

At least that takes there sight picture site out.

They learned that the hard way in LA against AK47s.