The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 25, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

A "new home" for my New Vaquero

Although I don't shoot CAS, I still love all the "old west" things. I winter in southern AZ and do leatherwork when I'm there (I summer in Michigan). I just wanted to share some photos of the gun leather I just finished for my Ruger New Vaquero (357 - 5 1/2" barrel - I shoot 38 spls.).

Since I am in southern Arizona during the winters, I wanted a style of holster that would be appropriate to this area. I used the holster shown on page 111 of “Packing Iron” that was made by “Patton & Co.” of Tombstone, AZ Territory – believed to have been produced 1885 – 1895 as a basic design style since it is authenticated and attributed to southern AZ.

I've made holsters, cartridge boxes, hunting pouches, etc. for years. This is my first cartridge belt (I usually prefer to carry my cartridges in a pouch). The rig is finished in "antique saddle tan" - prior to dying, I "distress" the leather utilizing a very high tech process - with the leather still wet from "casing", I put it "hair side" down on my curshed stone yard and then walk on it - this results in the dye highlighting the "low spots" and it gives it an old/used appearance.

For those that are curious about the “hand cuffs” – these are original handcuffs – believed to be from the late 1800s. They are unmarked and I have had several hand cuff collectors examine them and they feel they are 1870 – 1900 period. These were given to me by my Dad years ago. He found them in an old trunk in the attic of a house in California that he and my mother rented in the 1940s prior to moving back to Michigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tombstone Rig - 1.JPG (88.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Tombstone Rig 3 - Holster.JPG (76.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Tombstone Rig - 5 Bucket Top Closeup.JPG (89.9 KB, 82 views)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Pbearperry

Nice looking rig.You certainly do nice work.
Old March 25, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
mykeal

Flat out gorgeous.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Hardcase

That's definitely something to be proud of!
Old March 25, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Hawg

Very, very nice.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Steeltown Joe

Very Nice! I like it !
Old March 28, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Tanker6

Me likee....

I've got a local leather crafter working on my SASS rig right now. I decided on Slim Jims -- one right strong and a matching shoulder rig. I got to see the semi-finished right strong yesterday and test it for fit on my pistola ('71 Open Tops with 4 3/4" barrels). It looks awesome!

This whole process of getting a rig made has given me a greater appreciation for the whole leather working trade. Very nice looking rig and something you can be very proud of!