The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
bigredhemi

Stock Finish for Laminated Stock

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but...

I have a new unfinished laminated stock that I would like to try and finish. I have been checking out the WEB and found many remarkable finishes. This is for a target rifle - not for hunting.

What I would like to attempt is a flat black with a very subtle red hue comming through the black with the degree of red dictated by the various laminations. Is that do-able? And what are your opinions? Everything on the rifle is going to be a black matte except a gold trigger. I have some gold that I used for other things and I'm going to have the trigger plated with some of it.

If this is do-able - any suggestions on how I accomplish it - materials and technique? Is it as simple as a flat black stain over red stain finished with a good sealer?

I've done some searches but have not come up with anything addressing this idea so any links would also be appreciated!

Thanks much!
Mike

Oh - another thing - do I bed first or finish first?

Last edited by bigredhemi; March 2, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old March 3, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Scorch

Several options for color, look about halfway down the page at Imperial and Black Widow. Just depends on how much red you want, I guess.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/laminated_woods.htm

This is what I use to finish laminated stocks, it is hard as nails and tough.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ACRA_COAT_WOOD

And as the name implies, the finish is the last thing you do to a stock. So bed, shape, sand, finish.

Last edited by Scorch; March 3, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:49 AM   #3
bigredhemi

well after some more research it looks like I'm not gonna be able to do what I want to do with what I got...
Old March 10, 2011, 03:59 PM   #4
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I have several rifles that are COLOR guns. I use mine at the range for bench rest, Small bore, and even a purple M- 14 that I use for CMP shooting. I had them painted at the Auto Body shop, the paint was very well done and the guys only charged me for the primer and paint! They said "they like doing something different"
Old March 10, 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
bigredhemi

Thanks ed... I am considering that. I was just hoping that I could do something else with the natural colors of the laminate layers other than just apply some tru-oil but the colors of the laminates in my stocks are shades of brown.

I'm going to try one natural and the other with a trans-black stain and see if I like either. If not, I may have them painted or just sell both and get something like Scorch suggested above.

I like the idea of having them painted... would probably drive mysef crazy comming up with a design
Old March 23, 2011, 09:06 PM   #6
bigredhemi

I just sold both stocks that I had on Gunbroker.com and ordered one that would look like I wanted it to look.