The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
arthurkuchuk

New FFL looking for advice

I am a new FFL and I am about to launch a new online gun store.
Can someone advise me regarding firearms whole-sellers that will do business with FFL that doesn't have a storefront. From the research that I did, most of them want to see storefront. Links or any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by arthurkuchuk; October 15, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

Try writing them and including your FFL number. The most they can do is tell you no and maybe they will advise you of some other distributer that will work with you.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:31 PM   #3
JED1177

Issues...

Most distributors will only ship to a bonifide business location and not a private address. The real issue you will have is the shippers themselves delivering firearms when they find out it is a private address.
Old October 15, 2010, 12:56 AM   #4
zippy13

Greetings arthurkuchuk, and welcome aboard

Your well advised to get an brick-n-mortar address that that's in a area zoned for your activity. Just out of curiosity, some time ago I heard that FFL's wouldn't be issued unless you had a "store front" address. Perhaps I was misinformed or the policy has changed. Of my buddies with FFLs, most problems have arisen because of a failure to keep the required federal and state records up to date and correct.
Old October 15, 2010, 01:02 AM   #5
8shot357

Quote:
I am a new FFL and I am about to lunch a new online gun store.
Isn't lunch after breakfast?
Old October 15, 2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
Your well advised to get an brick-n-mortar address that that's in a area zoned for your activity. Just out of curiosity, some time ago I heard that FFL's wouldn't be issued unless you had a "store front" address. Perhaps I was misinformed or the policy has changed. Of my buddies with FFLs, most problems have arisen because of a failure to keep the required federal and state records up to date and correct.
I concur, how did you get the FFL? County regs up here where I live (FLA) stated only business from home is using office space. No foot traffic and no deliveries or shipping.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:36 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
arthurkuchuk I am a new FFL and I am about to launch a new online gun store.
Can someone advise me regarding firearms whole-sellers that will do business with FFL that doesn't have a storefront. From the research that I did, most of them want to see storefront. Links or any advice will be appreciated.
Visit the FFL Forum on AR15.com http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=44
or the FFLOnly Forum http://www.fflonly.com/intro.php

Quote:
JED1177 Most distributors will only ship to a bonifide business location and not a private address. The real issue you will have is the shippers themselves delivering firearms when they find out it is a private address.
I operate my firearms business from my home and have no problems with distributors. My home is a bonafide "business address" as it is where I conduct business. My license shows my "premises address" and a "mailing address". I have no idea what you mean by a "private address".

Quote:
zippy13 ...some time ago I heard that FFL's wouldn't be issued unless you had a "store front" address...
Internet myth. I started hearing "no home based FFL's allowed" during the Clinto era. So untrue that it is laughable, this myth continues to appear on internet gun forums. The majority of FFL's operate from their home. ATF will not however, issue a Federal Firearms License unless the licensee is operating legally at that location. Meaning the licensee must have any required permits, sales tax certificates, meet zoning laws, etc.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 16, 2010, 02:25 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

GunsAmerica.com....

Good websites IMO to check out include:

www.Blackhawk.com www.GunsAmerica.com www.USCav.com www.Cheaperthandirt.com www.JGSales.com www.Galls.com

If you plan to sell gear, clothing items, ammunition, equipment etc get well known/major brands NOT cheap mall ninja-flea market crap.

5.11, US Cav, Blackhawk, Safariland, Galco, Blade-Tech, Bianchi Intl, Mpro7, Weaponshield, Gunzilla, Eezox, Hoppes, CorBon, Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap Ammo, Winchester Ranger T, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot etc.

Sell firearms, clothing and gear that customers could & should use not cheap #%+^ you can make a quick buck off of.

These vendors & resources will work with you to both look good and make $$$.

That's my input.

CF
ps: Train up your sales staff or store employees so they know-understand the industry. If a customer talks about Jeff Cooper or Massad Ayoob or says they heard Milt Sparks makes good holsters, they don't flake out or look dumb.
Remember;
"I don't know = I don't care."