The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Nero45

Refinishing the stock on a Mosin Nagant what to do?

I'm thinking about refinishing the stock on my Nagant. What do I need to do to the stock to make this work? Thank you.

Nero45
Old January 31, 2009, 06:39 PM   #2
JWT

You can do a search of this site for numerous previous inquiries on the same subject. Here's a suggested link from an earlier thread on stock refinishing:

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aastockrefinish.htm
Old February 1, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
KEN K

Are you restoring it or do you want to sporterize it? If you are restoring it soak it in a good paint remover and scrub it with fine steal wool, once you have it clean a hot iron and damp cloth will lift out some of the smaller dents and dings. Try to sand as little as possible with very fine paper 300 grit or finer. Minwax makes a wipe on poly that works good, the more coats the more shine. Don't forget to coat the inside to seal it.
If you want to sporterize it, go out and get a walnut plank and start from scratch. I made a realy nice thumb-hole stock for a Arisaka 99 that I got for under a $100 because someone had already butchered the original stock

Last edited by KEN K; February 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: aditional info
Old February 6, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
candr44

Acetone and 0000 steel wool is good at getting the old finish off and so is L.A. Awsome sold at the Dollar Store. Make sure you have all the cosmoline out of the stock also. I use a heat gun and wipe it off as it comes boiling out. Then I wash it with soap and water and let it dry.

If you want the original look, Min Wax Red Mahogany stain will match it. The stock also had a few coats of shellac on it. Shellac dries very fast so you can put several coats on it in one day with a 0000 steel wool rub down in between coats.

I did this to mine and it came out looking exactly like the original finish.