The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
PWK

M1 Garand on TX hunting brochure!

Being a Garand owner this kind of excites me. I have been purchasing the chances for the Big Time Texas Hunts http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/btth/
for several years now so I always get the brochure promoting the coming year hunts. Anyway, I open the brochure and there is this guy aiming a rifle dead on at the camera with an offset scope, gas tube below the barrel, big front site and thin profile. You can see it at the above link. Got to be a Garand.
Anyway, kind of cool. I usually buy 10 tickets or so to the bird hunts, haven't won yet but consider it a worthy cause and maybe someday I may win.
Old August 14, 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
10-96

I wondered about that for a while too. However, I came up with the assumption that it might be a Win '94. There's no indication of a stacking swivel, bayonet lug thingy, and I don't quite think there's a hole there in the center of the gasplug/mag cap. Plus, the stock looks a little thin from side-to-side. But, I may be all sorts of wrong- who knows?

Don't our licenses go on sale Aug 15th?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 14, 2008, 05:48 PM   #3
PWK

Yea, doesn't seem to be a bayonet lug. Thought it might be a lever action but would have to be a top eject lever action to have an offset scope. And I figured a top eject lever would be a really old gun so I figured it must be a Garand.
The $9 special for entries starts on the 15th. Think I'll buy 10 this year to the bird hunt.
I usually wait to buy my super combo a week or so before my first hunting trip which is doves in mid to late Sept. for S TX.
Old August 14, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
bcarver

your eyes...

You've got good eyes. but I'm betting it is not a garand. A 12 pound garand seems a little unlikely for texas hunting. Although I love the idea of owning a garand a 6 pound lever gun would be what I would choose to carry across a texas deer lease.
I believe Patton called it the finest battlefield weapon ever made.
Old August 15, 2008, 01:15 PM   #5
10-96

Yeah, dove season MUST be gettin close... I find myself gettin all itchy, jumpy, jittery, anxious, and watchin fencerows and stock ponds.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 23, 2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Kawabuggy

I think it's a Winchester 94 as well.
Old August 23, 2008, 10:06 PM   #7
PWK

Ok, I give. It probably is a 94.
Old August 23, 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

There was an article in the Dallas Morning News some years back on a hog hunter who used an M1 Garand to hunt hogs. As I recall he indicated that he'd used all 8 shots on at least one occasion when a boar took exception to being perforated and tried to return the favor.