The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Longun

Mother Nature has done its job

Ms. KT’s , Mine and are son Zach’s jest need to peroxide to bleach & replace the teeth & bone. Then hang on the wall. Some great memories I will carry all my days.

longun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skulls.jpg (88.9 KB, 175 views)
Old August 12, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What's the story? Tell us more.
Old August 13, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Longun

The Hunt

Sorry it took so long Art a turtle can type faster than me.

As a Mich. Bear guide our family hunts are very dear to me as time do’s not allow for a quality hunt for us.The customer all ways comes first. Here in Mich. we are on a lottery system ever three to four years we receive a tag so we stager are applications to ensure a steady supply of bear meat in the freezer. The skull pictures shown are a combination of the last three years. Mine is the one on the right 200 lbs.. This hunt was with a bow during the archery only season. This bore came right to left between the bait and the ground blind I was in. A 15 yard shot I doubled lunged him & he went about 30 yards and piled up. Draw weight On the bow 55 lbs with 1” terminator broad heads. It was a great year as I also lead two costumers to success that year with rifles 2005.

The skull in the middle is KT’s This was one of the coolest hunts to date I only took on one customer that year as I new she had a tag and this would be her first bear. The bear that year had quit hitting the bait a week before the rifle hunt See thread http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=300709 for the reason they do this. KT would not set alone & I had to turn all attention to the costumer. On the fourth morning I walked the customer in and baited the pile as I do twice a day and then left before I could get back to the truck I herd him shot a nice bore with a white star on his chest 150 lbs. Cool the bear had turned back on and we still had four days left. Fifth morning I could not bait and leave so I baited and climbed in the ground blind with her we set like stones all day and not a movement. Day six again I baited and climbed in the ground blind with her. Day light came and we caught movement off to the left of the pile
A bobcat walked up to the pile sniffed around walked about six feet from the pile and crouched next to A small fur tree. We watched him for about ten min. when a blue jay came flying in to steel a piece of bread That bird no more than hit the ground and the cat sprang and had him this took no more than a blink of on eye. What was even neater was to watch that cat de-feather that bird he plucked every feather before he ate it. That evening we had a red squirrel working pine cones behind us lots of rustling of leafs as many a hunter knows. Now this is funny that night on our way out I was leading when I herd this thud with a splash I turned to see KT laying face down in swamp mud rifle held over her head. She looked up and all I could see is the whites of her eyes I thought I was going to p*** my self I was laughing so hard. I regained my composer and helped her up she was mud from head to tow but the gun was as dry as can be. Day seven
We decided two for go the morning hunt an go in about 2:00 pm. I baited and climbed in the ground blind with her. I could not set still that day know matter what I did jest one of those days. I thought a couple of times she was going to tune my own 45/70 on me this girl can set like a stone day in & day out. About 4:00 Pm. Mister red squirrel light up behind us jest a chattering I figured he had picked me. He chattered for a couple of minutes and stopped. Then leafs rustling I did not think a whole lot about it. A couple of minutes
Later it dawned on me the sound jest is not right & it is close real close I slowly turned my head to the left All I can see is black this bear is three feet from me standing on its back legs looking over the blind at us. I slowly tune my head back and whisper KT there is a bear behind me you have to turn around. I letterly Watched the hair stand up on the back of here neck and then she started to shake & I here her whisper I can’t I can’t. So I say it again YOU HAVE TO TURN AROUND THIS TIME WITH TERROR IN MY VOICE. This time the bear spooked it quartered out to the side of the blind & stopped & looked back the hunter in her kicked in and she shot it at 20 yards thru the brisket dropped it on the spot. Two year old sow 130 lbs. Some kills are jest meant to be this was one 2006.

I will relate the last one at a latter date as I have to get some wood cut.

longun

Last edited by Longun; August 13, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old August 27, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Longun

More Pics

Here are some after the hunt pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (111.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 06.JPG (86.9 KB, 31 views)