The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2008, 05:35 AM   #1
RiverRob

Smoothing a lever?

Im looking for ways to make my 1895g real smooth, ive heard things like polishing internal components would work. How can i go about doing this?
Old April 23, 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Hawg

Take it apart and look for wear marks and burrs. Carefully stone off any burrs on working parts and smooth wear marks. Be extremely careful if you stone hammer notches and sears. You don't want to remove metal, just polish. Smoothing an action is really just accelerated wear. My Rossi 92 was rough and I just filled the action with white lithium grease and worked the action for a few hours. It's slicker'n snot on a porcelain doorknob now.
Old April 23, 2008, 08:08 AM   #3
ZeSpectre

You can go here for some tips
The guns aren't identical but close enough for you to get the basic idea.

Tips:
1) DO NOT MESS WITH THE LOCKING LUG! (Part # 47 in your manual) It sets the headspace and you don't want to mess that up. You can lightly grease it if you like but don't do any alterations to it.

2) A "snort" of spray white lithium grease on the "nose" of the lever (where it goes into the bolt) goes a long way towards slicking up marlin guns.

3) They make lighter hammer springs (Part # 38 in your manual) and that can make the action smoother but if you go too light you will get light strikes and failure to fire.

4) On some rifles you can smooth things up a lot by polishing the "tail" of the hammer strut (Part # 43 in your manual) where it slides through the hammer spring. Some of these struts have rough edges. Also a light grease on this part before reassembling will help.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4
RiverRob

Ive heard about putting polish inside the action and cycling away at it, if i was to do so, how do i go about doing this properly. could i apply something like mothers polish into the action and crank away on it, should i take the stock off, what type of cleaning and greasing entails afterwards? Any info will help greatly, thanks.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Rob
Bad idea....
Bill
Old April 25, 2008, 02:07 AM   #6
RiverRob

does sound risky
Old May 3, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

polishing

Sir
Do not do it = lever actions will slick up with a little use all by themselves.
Harry B.