The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1
shooter71

Reloaded ammo??

i can honestly say i have never bought any , and really been kinda scared of it to tell you the truth. but i saw this site and was wanting some opinions on it. im not rushing into buying any til i ask first. the only gun i have is a 40sw springfield xd40..do you think this is safe? i read about the ka-booms and it seems common to be centered around reloads, well to hot of a reload that is, and i was wondering on this the velocity seems right for a normal 40sw so im assuming this is not a hot load..anyway the price was nice and we all know how exp it can get to buy ammo and i dont have the skills/knowledge or eqp to do reloads myself ..so what do you this of this place??

http://east.outdoormarksman.com/prod...oducts_id=8539
Old January 5, 2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Tim R

Shooter, I can't say if the re-mand ammo you are asking about is any good, but I have shot re-mand ammo by Delta in 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP. No problems.

The reason you read about the 40 KB thing is there are people who blame everything on the gun and not on their own Quality Control when reloading.
Old January 5, 2007, 03:41 PM   #3
shooter71

if you guys know of a place online like this to get bulk reloaded ammo, post the link if you can..id appreciate it.
Old January 5, 2007, 04:01 PM   #4
amamnn

I had a friend who bought 3 Dillon presses and started loading for resale. I bought some from him at a gun show as a sort of a shill, to help get him going. I did shoot the ammo and it was ok. Still had all the hallmarks of mass produced ammo, though. He's someone I've known for years and is a careful and precise reloader.

Other than that, I would never use anyone else's handloads (that I did not know very, very well) or load for someone else. That being said, I have no first hand accounts of catastrophes relating to reloaded ammo, just a great appreciation of my personal safety and the habits of many other hand and re-loaders I have met in person and especially online. I think the majority of hand loaders are careful and safety conscious, but there are enough reckless ones to make me careful.
Old January 5, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
shooter chef

Ditto

Ditto to amamnn... also the fairly new reloader like myself who may, all of a sudden think they know that their ammo is great, and start being less than careful and quality conscious.... IE... comfortable... which I found out is not a good place to be in the reloading room.
Old January 6, 2007, 04:33 PM   #6
OlderFox

The liability issue of selling reloaded is way TOO great to even consider reloading for anyone else.
I have done it in the past. Like 20 years ago. But I would never do it now.
Old January 6, 2007, 07:29 PM   #7
skeeter1

Only my own reloads for me

I have purchased reload ammo, but they always dirtied up my gun something terrible. Just a hunch, but I think they used a LOT of graphite in it.

I'll stick to my own reloads or factory ammo. My reloads don't cost me that much, and the factory loads (new) are expensive, but probably worth it.
Old January 7, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8
PointOneSeven

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Factory reloaded ammo can be a great way to save a few dollars on plinking ammo. If you think about it, what's different? The cases have been used, that's all. New primer, bullet, and powder... the only difference being possibly cheaper components to keep the costs down. Go for it.