The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 26, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Malamute

security protocol for large numbers of bikers in area?

We are expecting several thousand Hells Angels to arrive in the area (NW Wyoming)for a one week visit in about a month. The number will likely be about 1/3 the population of the town (9000), needless to say, this will be a significant number of "visitiors", with many expected to be travelling and sightseeing in surrounding towns and areas. Living in a rural area 30 some miles from town, but near a roadhouse and some potential "sightseeing" destinations, some local folks have been very concious of security issues. The LE presence in the towns will be strong, but it is unlikely we will recieve help right away if needed, as most LE will be keeping a lid on the towns. Most folks here are just planning on NOT going to town during this week if it can be helped. I'm interested in learning something about dealing with "visitors" that may show up at the front gate or front door, or safe methods of traveling if needed, such as 2 vehicles together, etc. Nobody expects the end of the world here, just concious that this group is not the average motorcycle enthusiasts, they will be here to party, and the potential for difficulties is present.

Hardware is not the question. Safe travel methods, and dealing with, potentially, large numbers of outlaw types that may show up at rural residences is the question. Most homes in this area are spread out about 250 to 400 yards apart. Experienced or trained information would be appreciated.
Emphasis is on avoiding trouble, but one doesnt always have that choice.
Old June 26, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Jeepmark2005

A show of force is a strong deterant. Make it not worth while for them to come to YOUR town to visit. Supply the largest mass of officers that you have availible and assign two to a car if you have the man power. Have them carry riot guns in the open. Explain to the public that it is for their protection. Go very easy on the residents so they understand you are protecting them from OUTSIDERS not locking down the town. It's called selective enforcement. Works great. Put as much man power as possible on the street and work 0 tolerance. Dirty License plates, no helmet, excessive muffler noise, no license for type vehicle, no insurance. You know the drill. Word will get out quickly to go play elsewhere.
Old June 26, 2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Blackwater OPS

Leave them alone and most likely they will do the same for you. You probably don't need to stay home, but avoid the "roadhouse". If they are at your front door call the police and stay inside. If they try to force their way in defend yourself, but this is very unlikely. Give them space on the road and if you encounter them, drive respectfully.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old June 26, 2006, 02:49 PM   #4
tINY

"not worth their while" is a good thing to keep in mind. Most of them will be in town to drink beers and chase tail.

Keep you lights on at night and sit out on the porch if there are a lot of them comming by.

Don't start anything by being overly concerned.

-tINY

Old June 26, 2006, 03:13 PM   #5
razorburn

It'll be alright. I go to large university in a small town. 30,000 kids whooping it up, getting drunk, having sex and partying until 5 in the morning every weekend, outnumbering the locals probably 4 to 1. People looking for fun usually don't cause too much trouble. Bikers nowadays are mostly old guys, many of them wealthy white collar, who just like to dress up and have fun. Most of the younger rambunctious crowd have transitioned to favor the sheer power of performance-oriented sportbikes over the old putt-putt and flash of choppers and cruisers. Instead of stressing out, I'd open up a metamucil orange drink stand and make a killing.
Old June 26, 2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Malamute

This is the hells angels, not the HOG group.

There is a difference.

Try a search of them, words like murder, rape, drugs, gang activity, beatings, weapons, explosives, etc. turn up in your results.
Old June 26, 2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Nortonics

They're just a bunch of good ol' boys - just ask their mothers. Don't forget to appreciate the dough they'll blow within in your town during their stay...
Old June 26, 2006, 03:47 PM   #8
BlueTrain

I thought everyone here WAS a biker.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 26, 2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Hedley

I know a few Hell's Angels as well as a few Bandidos. The fellows I do know are probably not representative of the whole herd, but in plain clothes, you wouldn't be able to tell who was the "1%-er" out of the crowd. You have absolutely no reason to worry. They may be loud and looking for a good time, but I'm sure the money they bring to your town will negate any of your fears.
Old June 26, 2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Dre_sa

lock up your daughters and hide your beer!
seriously, they shouldnt be much of a problem provided they are left alone, i used to play in a biker band, and was around them often, they can be a nice bunch of guys, if a little loud.
Old June 26, 2006, 04:02 PM   #11
roscoe

Every man, woman and child in the town should be armed to the teeth. Single-actions only for the under-12 crowd. Seeing a bunch of 9-year olds with crossed bandoliers should make them wonder.
Old June 26, 2006, 04:51 PM   #12
razorburn

I looked them up, and see they named themselves after a movie, in the 60's people thought they were badasses, and that now they're suing Walt Disney for copyright infringement. Seems like a bunch of lame old guys who still want to dressup and play badass to me, but they were never my generation. MS-13 and drug cartels are what I remember from my childhood.
Old June 26, 2006, 08:47 PM   #13
snolden

Bikers are usually pretty damn good to the laws anymore. Now as far as leaving trash around and causing you some headaches from beer cans all over, I don't know.
Old June 26, 2006, 08:55 PM   #14
OuTcAsT

I am a "Biker" as well as a gun nut, and I can tell you, you have no worries, they just want to ride. You might want to keep your wife/daughter at home though....we are a sexy bunch

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 26, 2006, 09:04 PM   #15
profshadow

As a Biker and a gun nut too, I'd agree. Just watch out that you don't run one over and things probably will be OK.

Though. I'd still carry an extra mag, just in case that bad apple comes your way trying to "prove" something. And keep the cell phone charged.

But basically, they are OK, just treat with respect and be treated with respect in return. Not fear; not disdain. Just mutual respect.

They can be an interesting lot. My wife and I were at Bike Week one year in Daytona at a restaurant. In came about six Outlaws, leathered out, who sat and had a nice dinner. And left a very nice tip for the waitress. (She told us it was a $1000 tab and they left her $250)

We were entertained watching the crowd react to them. And yeah, we knew the waitress, which is why we knew the tab & tip.
Old June 27, 2006, 01:58 AM   #16
LoadIt

Chances are, you'll be fine.

Another motorcycle rider here. (Independent)

Hells Angels and other 1%er motorcycle clubs are not out to start trouble. They are buissinessmen. Maybe not white-collar office types, but bussinessmen just the same. Like you said, they want to have a good time in town on their "bussiness trip". The Angles are trying to change their image. I have read in nationwide publications about fundraisers they have to support disabled children. None of this involved kidnapping them. Although I have also read of them shooting at other clubbers (bussiness rivals).

Just stay home and enjoy the sweet sound of the open pipes out on the highway. If you do go out and your vehicle breaks down, don't draw down on one while he is walking up to your car to give you assistance.
Old June 27, 2006, 02:10 AM   #17
paratrooper

Check with the PD in Hollister CA . They have experience .
AMERICAN LEGION
U.S. PARATROOPER
Old June 27, 2006, 02:17 AM   #18
Blackwater OPS

Also note, a guy I knew was KIA in Iraq, when his family tried to bury him, apparently some nutcase group decided to protest the funeral claiming he died because he was gay or something(he was married ) The bikers, I think Hells Angels, showed up to pretty much block them from being seen or heard.
They also showed up to support numerous pro-military events in DC while I was there, and were very respectful to the MPs(myself included) in charge of security.

Due to this I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, If I was in trouble somewhere, I can think of few sights more welcome than a group of Hells Angels. But don't cross them.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old June 27, 2006, 02:48 AM   #19
deguello

First, the group that supports the funerals for servicemembers is the Patriot Guard, not Hells Angels. There's a big difference. Everybody's right that there probably won't be any trouble except for maybe a ittle loudness and drunkenness but I'd still just avoid them anyway. Don't wear red and white, and don't be rude to people wearing big Hells Angels patches, and it shouldn't be any worse than a frat party. And if one of them does get rude, I'd just walk away. There's no such thing as fighting one patchholder, if you fight you fight them all. But don't worry, probably the worst they'll do is leave a mess.
Old June 27, 2006, 02:59 AM   #20
LoadIt

Patriot Guard welcomes all motorcycle riders.

Their mission statement from www.patriotguard.org

The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security. If you share this respect, please join us.

We don’t care what you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a "hawk" or a "dove". It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn't matter where you’re from or what your income is. You don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect.

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives.

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.

2. Shield the mourning family and friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.
Old June 27, 2006, 07:51 AM   #21
PythonGuy

Truth is you are going to have to pick your battles in life, and this is a good one to avoid. Be cautious but courteous, you'd be ridiculously outnumbered in any event, so go with the flow. These guys for the most part are just out to have fun, although there are always a few bad apples. Would I be happy if this were my town or community? Hell no, but you have to make the best of it and it'll be over before you know it.
Old June 27, 2006, 08:21 AM   #22
mfree

Only thing I'd be worried about is the traffic in town.

At worst, keep your doors locked and your ears open.

At best, I think you've watched too many old "bikers from hell RAHHHRRRR they're lawless devils come to level the town OH NOES!" movies.

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old June 27, 2006, 11:50 AM   #23
Mannlicher

Reminds me of an incident from my youth. A close friend and I were drving out to Jax Beach, with our GFs. A contingent of the local Outlaws surrounded us at a stoplight on Beach Blvd. As one of the bikers reached his hand through the window to touch one of the girls, my friend exited the drivers seat, pulled a sawed off 12 Ga, and riddled two of the bikes with buckshot. He got back in the car and away we drove. No one followed.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 27, 2006, 12:21 PM   #24
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

My first year at Grand Canyon, a biker group called the Barons hosted a ride to the North Rim. Over a thousand came. These guys scared the crap out of me, but our Chief Ranger, Jack Fields, had a good relationship with them, and an agreement was reached. They were provided with a large and very remote area to "camp", and law breakers were turned over to "Joker", the club's enforcer, to deal with rather than arresting them. Joker was about a 6'7" hunk o' muscle with spiked gloves on both hands . We had very few problems .

Jack took me out to meet these guys, and while initially I had a pucker factor of 10+, (on arrival, they had a huge fire with nakid wimmin dancing to some tune by Black Sabboth while some guys were firing AR's into the air... true!) I found them fascinating to talk to. I found out one guy was a college English professor and another was an MD.

Don't show fear (some really enjoy that), and treat them with the same courtesy and respect you'd show to anyone else, and you shouldn't have any problems.

One other thing: When it comes to their bikes, look, but never, ever touch! Some of their bikes are beautiful, true works of art, but that's one thing most bikers absolutely won't tolerate.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 27, 2006, 12:24 PM   #25
fairview mick

Bikers in the area

Who gave you the information that "Hell's Angels" would be in town. The people that will be there are bikers from all over "THE WORD" and I do mean all over the world. They are not criminals!!!!!! These people come to this area every year and I believe this will be the 66th time. Most of it is sight seeing of the beaitiful country all around the area. I've been there twice during this festive time, and I am not a criminal.I'm a respected business man in the Cleveland Ohio area. I and all my friends that rode with me are not rapists, shooters, looters or any other thing. The only problem I ever saw out there, unfotunately, was too much beer in a few bikers and then crashes and death from that. No one fights, points guns, kidnaps or anything else.
Also, they bring MILLIONS of dollars into the local economies. Not much different than bike week in Daytona. I thing you should pull back on the "Hell's Angels thing. This kind of irresponsible thread is inexscusable.
Closed Thread