The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
bstenson

Scope for Browning High Wall

I have a Browning High Wall in 45.70 and would like to put on a quality low power scope. I am thinking perhaps a 1.5 X 4 or less. What type of scope would work best for this type of rifle? I would think a pretty long eye relief would be benificial because the recoil can be pretty strong (350 grain round nose with 52 grains of reloader 7) . I have been hunting with it with irons and have killed a couple of nice deer with it, but had to let a couple go because of low light conditions that would have been in the freezer if the gun had been scoped.
Old June 17, 2006, 03:00 PM   #2
jakerudy

Consider a Nikon Buckmaster fixed 4x. I had one on a Ruger #1 in .45-70 and the scope lived through some heavy loads shooting 400 grain Speers. Eye relief is not as good as Leupold or Burris but seems to be a good scope for the money and I never felt the need for more magnification. Sold the #1 but kept the scope for a 35 Whelen Mauser I am building.

Last edited by jakerudy; June 17, 2006 at 08:10 PM.