The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2000, 06:30 PM   #1
Hal

I like the .45LC, no strike that, I love the .45LC. Problem is, the .44 Mag seems to be more accurate and versital. My Trapper in .44 Mag will shoot circles around my Trapper in .45LC. I also dearly love the .44 Mag. Presently I don't own a revolver in .44 Mag for CAS though. The Vaquero's I've looked at are running $535.00 for the Bright Stainless w/gold engraving. They are extermely nice looking for a Nickle freak like myself. Help!!!??!!
Should I bit the bullet and go .44 Mag, which I really like, or go .45LC? Now throw into the fray the .45LC Schofield, and man oh man! Then of course, there are the .38 Special Navy Arms conversions, which would go really well with the Marlin cowboy...?

*Note, mostly toungue in cheek, I have pretty much decided on the .44 Mag.
BUT Man are those conversions nice looking

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old March 11, 2000, 09:35 PM   #2
whiskey

I just picked up a .44mag SBH, I love it. Next is the .45LC vaquero.

------------------
so he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street.
Old March 11, 2000, 09:43 PM   #3
Gunslinger

Buy 'em all.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 12, 2000, 09:40 AM   #4
Gunslinger

There are currently three of the engraved models listed for sale in Gun List:
Vaquero Engraved .44,.45, $424, Boggs (304)344-1900 (West Virgina)

Vaquero factory engraved with gold inlays, 4.625", .44, NIB, $400. Sebby's (507)847-4149 (Minnesota)

Vaquero gold inlayed engraved cylinder, sim. ivory grips, blue , 4.625", $450 + ship. TC's Guns (918)733-4269 (Oklahoma)

That one from Sebby's looks mighty tempin' at a paltry $400.
But then on the other hand a few pages over there are these cartridge coversions that.........wait I just found a sale on 1872 reproduction Open Tops.......

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 13, 2000, 10:40 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

My oh my, such problems. Go .44.
Old March 16, 2000, 03:21 PM   #6
Kenneth L. Walters

Personally I like the idea that goes: "BUY THEM ALL" Still when I made this decision I made it from a slightly different point of view. I'm going to shoot cast bullets that I cast with a large gang mould. H&G use to make those as does SAECO. H&G has now been bought out by BallistiCast. My reasoning was that the 45 Colt was better because I could use one linotype cast bullet in my 45 Colt revolvers, 45 ACP semi-automatics, 45 ACP carbines, 45 Colt Lone Star Remington-style single shot, 45 Colt and 45 Schofield Spencers and 45 Schofield S&W. One bullet for all. Now someone will point out that this is something of a compromise and that maybe you could be better with different bullets for different guns but, well, I ain't that great a shot!
Old March 17, 2000, 06:36 PM   #7
Hal

Kenneth,
One reason I lean toward the .44Mag is because I can use the same slug in S/A revolver, D/A revolver and Trapper. You do give me something to comsider though about the .45. I've tried 230 cast slugs for the .45acp in the .45 LC, and the accuracy wasn't quite as good as the 250 gr cast. If I cast my own, it would be worth while to consider though.Thanks.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited March 17, 2000).]
Old March 18, 2000, 05:33 AM   #8
Ned Roundtree

Okay, buy all!!
Old March 21, 2000, 10:49 AM   #9
Kenneth L. Walters

It is probably true that the H&G #34 cast bullet is just a compromise if you try to use it in a wide range of guns but, well, I'm not all that good a shot. Also I've set things up to REALLY turn this one out quickly. I've got a six and eight cavity H&G mould and a high volume Magma/Star lubricator sizer. The other part of this reasoning is that far more of the guns I'm interested in can be gotten in some kind of a 45 caliber. That helps keep the number of bullets I need down to one.