The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2017, 09:04 AM   #126
tipoc

The Turkish gunmaker Tisas is producing a clone.

They are getting them in Canada.

http://tandtarms.com/canuck-pistols-in-stock/

tipoc
Old February 25, 2017, 09:43 AM   #127
ammo.crafter

Hi Power

Novack, Nighthawk, Robar, Cylinder & Slide, Jim Garthwaite Custom, and many others perform customization on the Hi-Power.

Perhaps it's the look of the Hi-Power; some find it like an ugly duckling compared to the 1911.
Perhaps it's the 9mm; I wonder where the HP would be if originally offered in 45.

The trigger is completely different from a 1911...more like a revolver feel too it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard 1911 fan and have several but once you get use to the HP it's a joy to shoot.
Old February 25, 2017, 09:50 AM   #128
WVsig

Quote:
The Turkish gunmaker Tisas is producing a clone.

They are getting them in Canada.

http://tandtarms.com/canuck-pistols-in-stock/

tipoc
Yeah I wish they had gone with a MKIII+ sort of clone instead of a C Series clone. Of course they are not coming with Nighthawk grips. LOL I like the ring hammer but wish they had redone the safety.

I replace the safeties on a lot of my BHPs. Pretty much anything that might be called into defensive roll. One argument for the older style nub safety is that most US shooters use it incorrectly. We are used the 1911 style thumb safties where you use the meat of your thumb to lower the lever.

I once read that the BHPs original thumb safety was designed to be swiped off more with the first joint in your thumb. The small safety fits right into that joint. I have tried that with my older BHPs and it works better than trying to use the meaty part of the thumb past that first joint. That said if I could get Mr. Garthwaite to make me 10 of his safeties I would replace every single one of mine with one of his.

Old February 25, 2017, 11:53 AM   #129
Walt Sherrill

If the price quoted for the Turkish gun is a street price, I think I'd go for a good, used BHP before I'd spend that much for a new clone. It might be available for less in the future.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:40 PM   #130
tipoc

The link to the Tisas is from a Canadian site so Canadian dollars, exchange rate, 1 Can. about .76 cent usd. an exchange rate calculator says a bit less than $560. msrp or maybe that is the street price, I don't know.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...u.s.+dollars&*

WV is right though no significant customization to it, older sights, etc.

Poking around FN did make alloy framed versions of the, as did the Argentines. They also made a cut down version similar to the FM Detective. But they did not continue with these or push them much. I'm not sure that either one was marketed in the U.S. by FN or Browning out of Utah.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; February 25, 2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:58 PM   #131
HankC1

Tisas 1911 is sub $400 and they want this much for a BHP! I have a few Hi Power clones, Arcus, FEG, FM and CD, none of them cost me over $250. When CDNN had those $400 FN BHPs on clearance sale, I thought it is expensive!
Old February 25, 2017, 01:16 PM   #132
WVsig

Quote:
Poking around FN did make alloy framed versions of the, as did the Argentines. They also made a cut down version similar to the FM Detective. But they did not continue with these or push them much. I'm not sure that either one was marketed in the U.S. by FN or Browning out of Utah.
Alloys were Austrian LEO contract guns.

Here is mine after it went to Don Williams of the Action Works.

Old February 25, 2017, 03:10 PM   #133
tipoc

Quote:
Tisas 1911 is sub $400 and they want this much for a BHP!
I don't know what they're selling for anywhere else other than that one place in Canada. I posted that place cuz it had a picture. Note their selling the 1911 for about the same. If CDNN gets them they'll be less.

tipoc