The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Nine the Ranger

A somber acquisition...

Hello all, I now have in my gun collection a Maverick (Mossberg) Model 88 12 Gauge shotgun. It is fitted with a BLACKHAWK! M4 style collapsing stock, pistol grip, weaver top rail, Tac-Star forend, and a laser/light combo. A great, reliable gun for home defense.

And I couldn't be sadder that I have it.

My Father passed away last week at the age of 55, and his one and only gun was left to me. It would be a wonderful gun to defend myself and my home, but I couldn't bring myself to, I can't even bring myself to do anything with the Hornady Defense loads he kept in the tube.

I remember setting the gun up how he liked as he bought the parts. He thought it was the coolest thing ever once it was finished, just like growing up I thought that he was the coolest thing ever. This shotgun may not ever see use as a defense arm, it may not even see much general use. But it will always be in my collection, and I'll take great care of it. It was my Dad's and it will always be my favorite.
Old May 28, 2014, 01:30 AM   #2
JimmyR

I am sorry for your loss.

I too have some firearms that i inherited after losing my father. I always remembered seeing them in his desk if I was looking for something else, and occasionally admired them when he wasn't looking.

I didn't get into guns until his passing. While my inheritance was more of a "take what you want" type of approach, it started my own desire to collect and own a variety of pistols.

I encourage you, when you are ready, to shoot the blazes out of that shotgun. While I can't claim to speak for your father, I know that my own father wished me nothing but happiness, and did everything he could to keep a smile on my face. Blow up some paper, demolish some clays, or kill a few coke cans, but use that gun. Let yourself enjoy it, because I bet that is what would make your father happy.
Old May 28, 2014, 01:00 PM   #3
PetahW

You have my deepest condolence's - but I would be very happy that he left me such a nice HD weapon.

Any positive use of it, in the future, would only re-inforce his good decision & his memory.

Old May 28, 2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I do believe that the two saddest events in the human experience are a parent losing a child and a child losing a parent. The younger they both are, the worse it is.

You have my sincerest condolences on your loss.

I would ask, though, did your father shoot the gun? If so, you might consider if he would rather you use than just keep it.

Only you can know as we did not know him, and it may not be the time now, or in a year or five years. Keep it in mind.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Nine the Ranger

Unfortunately my Father did not shoot the gun very much, he saw it really as nothing more than a tool. Sure he'd take it out and practice every now and then, and occasionally he'd plink with me with a .22 of mine. Unlike myself he was a Gun Guy in a sense and not a Gun Nut.

But after some thinking, I may use it as an HD gun. I'm just worried about it being confiscated and not returned to me in the unlikely event of an HD shooting. I'd also want to swap it back to a standard stock and forend as the double pistol grips are uncomfortable to me.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Blindstitch

Seems like an HD shooting shouldn't be a concern at all.

The Mavericks are inexpensive and selling the stock may easily pay for putting the parts you want on it.

Good lucky with your decisions.

I would hate to be in your boat as my father has several rifles from both of my grandfathers and uses them every season. A few have been passed on to me and I have a goal to take a deer with every one of them.

Sorry for your loss.