The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1
BoogieMan

M1 Garand value

I know its hard to say from a laymens description.
I looked a M1 (H&R) tonight with the serial# over 6m (6008xxx). Never molested. Stock had barely a nick. They are asking $1250. I dont think I can get them to move more than maybe $50. I love these guns and always wanted one. I just didnt expect I would pay that kind of money for one. Does it sound like a fair deel before I go and dump that kind of cash. They seem to be getting harder to find. BTW- I will be shooting this thing, its not a safe queen.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 11, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
'88Scrat

Actually if all the parts match that might not be out of the question, I'm no expert but it might actually be a little low.

Just yesterday I got my M1 (serial number 31XXXXXXXX) appraised by a collector (he went over it with a fine tooth comb) and he offered me $1050 cash for it. Now I love my M1 Garand but its a hodgepodge of parts (Springfield receiver and trigger assembly, H&R safety, Winchester OP rod and gas plug, International Harvester barrel, and even a Beretta en bloc release) and its a shooter through and through.

Like I said I'm no expert but for one with matching numbers that could be a deal in disguise.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3
BoogieMan

Odly I went looking for an SKS or some other commy block toy. I love the M1 but i have only shot 1 rifle on 2 ocasions (NRA Korrean war comemorative) that a Vet friend has. This one appears to be the real deel from a trusted dealer. I just dont trust 100% any dealer as they have skin in the game. From the CMP website it appears to be quite a good deel. I wish I knew someone local to check it out with me. Any S. NJ guys willing to meet up?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 11, 2013, 09:21 PM   #4
TXAZ

You can get a current idea of what the government is selling a very wide ranging of condition of M1 Garand's at http://www.thecmp.org

These range in quality from marching quality to collector quality.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 11, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
BoogieMan

I checked the CMP as soon as I got home. They dont have any prices on the higher grade M1's as they are sold out. I wanted a cheap shooter but this M1 is haunting me now. I wish I knew enough about the guns to know if its really a good deel. CMP rifles are running a little less for mixed parts but after I add in the transfer fee I am near the same price range.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 11, 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Technosavant

For a great shooter, the service grades are good choices. If you want a basically new rifle, their CMP special grades will also be great shooters but in pretty much new condition (new barrel, new wood).

My CMP Special had WWII serial numbered receiver and some WWII hardware on it... you aren't going to find a collector grade one (ESPECIALLY numbers matching) in great shape at a reasonable price, but the CMP Special is pretty much perfect but without much collector's value.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7
tahunua001

CMP does not have a transfer fee. they are able to ship right to your door.

Last edited by tahunua001; January 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:23 AM   #8
chris in va

Don't discount the other grades, such as 'Field Grade'. Wood has character and they are generally good shooters. Last time I checked they run about $500.

BTW it's 'deal', not deel.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
BoogieMan

Thanks for the spelling corelection.
CMP has some great deals. But what I am looking at is a numbers matching late serial number M1 for $1250. Wood is beautiful and even has a very nice tiger stripe in the grain. I just dont want to get hosed on the price.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 12, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
chris in va

I see.

That M1 you're looking at is Korean War vintage. If all numbers match I suppose 1200 isn't completely out of line considering the CMP supply will run out eventually. The value can only go up from here.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
P5 Guy

South Jersey Refugee Here.

I'm looking thru my reference literature and all the HRA serial numbers are 5.8 million and below.
Springfield receivers go to serial number 6099505. HRA stops at 5788594 according to Scott Duff's, The M-1 Garand: Post World War II table 6.4 on pages 84, 85.
Can you at the very least field strip this rifle and look at the drawing numbers?
$1250 would be a fair value for what was the Correct Grade HRA if the CMP still had them. I paid $950 plus shipping for a Correct Grade Springfield better than five years ago.