The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #1
fellas123

loading data 9mm problem

Hi Dear friends

I have a little problem understanding this loading data. i am to start reloading with the vihtavouri powder and n320. I have FMJ RN and FMJ FP bullets. The thing is that these two bullets have the same weight of 124 grains but different shape and the starting load for the Lapua FMJ RN is 3.4 and max is 4.0 grains grains while the hornady FMJ FP is 3.9 grains and max is 4.3 grains. Can you reload a round with the same bullet weight and different shape with the same powder charge of a different shape.

Ex:

can you reload the FMJ RN with the same data as the FMJ FP or

can you reload the FMJ FP with the same data as the FMJ RN so

can you reload the 124 gr with different shape with one of these load

Thanks
Old February 19, 2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Ozzieman

Yes you can but you can’t use the same COL.
The loads that they give are specific to that bullet for velocity and pressure in a particular gun. The only thing you need to do is start low and work up. Never take a max load and use it to start out.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:50 AM   #3
fellas123

Thanks for the reply

so what col I need to use or how do i determine one

Thanks
Fellas
Old February 20, 2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

For the Lapua 124gr FMJ RN, COL is 1.142", this comes from their website:

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/6/34

For the Hornady 124gr FMJ FP, COL is also 1.142", data from the same Lapua website as above.

If you have bullet or powder questions, all the manufacturers have websites, 800 numbers, or email departments. I haven't found one yet who wasn't happy to speak to a reloader and help out where possible.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:08 PM   #5
peter_s

To add to what Ozzie said, if you want to use the same charge then develop your loads seated to the same DEPTH.

Start with say the FMJ. Work up the load per the book, safely starting at recommended minimum. When you know the final OAL of the FMJ at the powder charge you like calculate what the depth is of the bullet into the casing.

Then make up a few dummy rounds with the JHP seated to the same depth as the FMJ. If they cycle properly then work up the load for this one. Hopefully the JHP and the FMJ both do waht you want at the same charge.

I did this with some 115 grain Sierra FMJ and JHP's and it worked out pretty well until I bought a new gun and the JHP was too long; hitting the rifling.