The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
hasel001

Ballistics Info for Monarch Ammo

Thanks in advance to anybody who is able to help with this.

A few months ago, I bought my first box of .357 mag ammo from Academy. Our area suffers badly from the shortage, so all that was available was Monarch (brass) brand 158 gr SJHP. I tried it along with some other brands and sizes, and it turns out I really like the way it shoots.

Fast forward to the present, and I am about to start reloading (at Christmas). After trying quite a few different factory varieties, I still like that Monarch. I would love to mimic that in my reloading, but where can I go to find velocity data (or powder charge/type)?

Any answers or general advice would be appreciated.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2
res45

About the best you can do is find the average muzzle velocity of that ammo by running a sample of about 10 rds. through a chronograph. The main problem you have is the ammo in question is Monarch which is a generic version of Barnaul,a Russian ammo mfg.

However in your case the 357 ammo in the Monarch box probably has a nny headstamp which means it was actually made by Prvi Partizan and sold under the Monarch name,this is very common Prvi also make alot of the Wolf Gold lines of ammo.

So basically your going to have to start form scratch using available primers,powder and bullets and work up a new load for your .357. Graf and Sons on occasion carries the 158 gr. SJHP used in the Monarch ammo but there currently out.

Tags
357 , ammo , powder , reloading , weight