The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Jenifer

Advice on Tactical Shotguns

I am looking to buy a tactical shotgun with an 18 inch barrel or so. I am not sure what is best or what I should be looking at exactly. I want something where I can shoot quite a bit and the recoil won't kill me, and it has to have good sights on it. If you have suggestions please let me know. Thank you
Old April 12, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2
BillM

Are you going to be using it for any organised competition? If so the rules will
help determine what you need.

Generally:

For lighter recoil go with a gas operated gun.
12 gauge or 20? Your choice. 20 has lighter recoil, but there is a LOT
more ammo choices with 12 ga., including light recoiling slugs and
buckshot loads.

My personal 3 gun competition shotgun is a Remington 1100, 21 inch
barrel with rifle sights, 8 round capacity magazine in a synthetic
stock. I shoot USPSA 3 gun and it fits within the rules. Remington
made a gun called the Competition Master that's pretty much set up
the same way. Winchester also made the SX2 Practical. Friend of
mine has one and it seems to run well.
Old April 12, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
scorpion_tyr

I'd say grab yourself a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 in either 12 gauge or 20. I can't speak for Mossbergs, but I know for a fact you can put a synthetic stock, magazine tube extension, ammo saddle, and night sights on a Remington 870.

Turn an plain old shotgun into a tactical one. It might even be cheaper in the long run, and doing it yourself is a lot of fun

Recoil will mostly depend on what kind of ammo you use.
Old April 12, 2009, 07:36 PM   #4
MagnumWill

well... what gauge were you thinking of? Most common is 12 by far (That's what my Mossberg 590 is) and you can get a number of sighting options for it- the Mossbergs come pre-drilled from the factory, so you can attach whatever sight your heart desires. If you're real sensitive to recoil, try a 20-gauge (they usually list as "youth" models).

Whether you choose a remington, mossberg, whatever- It should suit your purpose, so go try them out before you buy one.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's oodles of good tactical shotguns out there, far more than good tactical shooters.

The two most popular platforms are the Mossberg 500 series and the Remington 870.

Buy either, a messa ammo( The lightest loads you can find. the new 7/8 oz ultralites are perfect) and get some training from a qualified,experienced teacher.

After a few thousand rounds, darn near any shotgun in your hands will be an excellent tactical shotgun.

HTH....
Old April 17, 2009, 09:50 PM   #6
sholling

If you're looking for the absolute best and money is no object then look for a used Benelli M1 Super 90, preferably an early example with H&K's import stamp. They offer total dependability and a super high rate of fire and the inertia system absorbs much of the recoil. There are several of these fine semiautomatics on Gunbroker.

If you have the budget then a new Benelli M4 is mighty fine.

If you're on a tight budget I'd look at the Stoeger 2000 Defense. For under $500 it's a near copy of the Benelli produced buy a sister company. Both are part of Beretta. I'm looking at one as a backup to my Benelli so my girl friend has something to shoot.

Edit: I'll also throw in the Mossberg 590, Remington 870, and Mossberg 500 pumps in that order if you would rather have a pump.

Last edited by sholling; April 17, 2009 at 10:27 PM.