The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 24, 2000, 11:43 PM   #1
Rusty S

What is with this one?

I'm 5'4" & size 7 1/2 or 8 shoes. I can manage a _&_ K frame well, but true bliss is with the detspl/polposspl /diamondbk frame.

I've an early 70's SAA civ. in 45 colt. Often fondled but seldom shot.

What I'm interested in is cas, ( got a trapper in 44Mag ). Where I'm confused is that one a these days I want to build a slipgun. If the model P vs. the model P jr. is like the N vs. K frames or the 44 BP vs the 36 BP it might be worth building the slipgun on a smaller frame for better control. Maybe I'm lookin in the wrong places but I aint heard didly on the littler gun. I'da thunk if it was used one way or the other someone would be talking. And if there's as many gals into cas as I've heard, they ought to be sellin like flapjacks. Or are they still all that new?

Old May 25, 2000, 08:06 AM   #2
wakal

Try the new Cimmeron Lightning...same upper, smaller grip frame.

A
Old May 25, 2000, 08:37 AM   #3
David Roberson

I have the Uberti version of the gun, which they call the Stallion, I believe (although there's no name stamped on the gun). It is indeed quite new, which is why you probably haven't heard much about it. I predict good things for this gun, despite the fact that the front sight's too high and needs to be filed down to make point of impact match point of sight.

For those not familiar with the gun, imagine a Colt Scout in .38 Special. A great idea. I'm confident it won't be NCOWS legal, but it should be legal for SASS (and perhaps already is, since the Cimarron Lightning is).
Old May 25, 2000, 11:06 PM   #4
Rusty S

I've been on the Cimarron website, and they list the model P jr. but don't show them. Other than they show their SA only Lightning and Thunderer with the distinctive birdshead shaped gripframes done up imitating the Colt's DA 38 and 41 patterns. The frame sizes do seem different. IIRC, the first Colt Scouts were 3/4 versions and later ones were on a 7/8ths frame so your comments look like they're pretty close, David. I also seem to remember someone making up Skeeter a custom 5 shot 44 spl on the single six frame.

I think I've heard they come in either 38 spl or 38 S&W. I'd want to know if they could handle +P or +P+ ocassionally.

Far as the slipgun, maybe I'll just get new parts for the 3rd gen and keep the ones I take out to return it to stock. Anyway, thanks guys.