The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 06:48 PM   #26
erh

Hi Guys/ Gals,

I say ":barf: "; a friend of a friend is either out of his mind for enjoying talk (or even thinking about it much...), or full of CR_P..! Do any of "YOU" like the......; any of it..?

Eric Howland
Savannah, GA.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:41 PM   #27
Doggieman

well you guys could be right, could just be 100% BS. Glad I posted here to see what you all think about it. I don't know the guy anymore so it doesn't offend me if you say he's full of it.
Old May 6, 2006, 12:32 PM   #28
Heraclid

I'd be seriously questioning the company I keep if I were you. If you aren't surprised that this guy could be involved in drug deals, and if he goes around telling everyone this story like he's so proud of it and so unphased by it...

Side story - I briefly worked with a guy who seemed like a good guy and all, but my mother had an acquaintance who knew him and his ex-wife. Said he was into the whole drug scene too and was not allowed to come onto his ex-wife's property. I found this out about him AFTER I gave him a ride home from work one day. You guessed it - he had me drop him off at his ex's place.
Old May 6, 2006, 01:29 PM   #29
silicon wolverine

You cant belive everything you see onthe net. Im calling BS too. Yes pistol shots that penetrate create blood splatter, but they DO NOT cause teeth to become embedded in the sheetrock. Bone fragments-Maybe. After having seen the leftovers of a nasty gunfight (indian reservation, acahol and an illegal UZI were involved) most blood stays on the victims clothes and near proximity. The guy i saw get shot got hit 6 times in the torso (no penetrations) and the only blood was on his shirt from the entry holes. Now if he was shoothing with a .50AE or .450 COR-BON or something wild yes that would create large amounts of flying liquid.

SW
Old May 6, 2006, 03:27 PM   #30
Doggieman

Quote:
If you aren't surprised that this guy could be involved in drug deals, and if he goes around telling everyone this story like he's so proud of it and so unphased by it...
Well to be quite honest, my past isn't spotless either..
Old May 9, 2006, 01:37 PM   #31
Mikeyboy

The guy is lying...Like other LEO have said you don't get a record unless you get charged with a crime. I had a job where I looked at criminal records all day for employment. I never seen that before. Also unless they are on TV no one robs a house in the middle of the day wearing all black. Here is a story of a guy who shot a unarmed naked guy who broke into his house 9 times, and got manslaughter. Like silicone said, the real deal there is less blood splattered around than in the movies.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=33380&rfi=6
Old May 9, 2006, 05:07 PM   #32
guntotin_fool

As a contractor, one of my jobs a long time ago was repairing work after the Clean up crew had been in there...(regarding the formation of the first death scene company in the 90's, Service-master has had a division doing way longer than that. Also several other disaster services companies I have worked with did that kind of restoration work.) I was called in to bid on replacing stained wood floors and replacing wall board after several shootings. Most were suicides. but a few were murders. I have no idea if the guys story is true or not, BUT I have seen enough shoot sites to say that yeah, a .357 or larger can blow body debris a long way inside a house. a twelve guage in the mouth will just about paint the ceiling or wall. A 45 auto loaded with ball will pass thru every time.

Now, after doing that for a few years, we got a call to a house where the homeowner had passed away to natural causes the day she was planning to visit her condo in florida. She had canceled her mail, shut off the phone and packed her bags when she broke her hip and died on the floor. No one thought she was home and it took approximately 60 days till a utility worker noticed that she had not paid her bill despite never missing a payment in some 40 years. Cops were dispatched to find her remains lying near the dead phone. We got called in to look at replacing the flooring in the living room which were stained. The smell in the house was unbelievable, despite being cleaned professionally by people trained in that area of restoration, every time the heat would come on, we would get nauseated, After three attempts at cleaning and deodorizing, including one whole house bagging, and fumigation. The insurance company finally decided to have the house razed and rebuilt. The poor womans only relative was a niece in California who had little or no contact with her, she did not go to church and had been retired for nearly 20 years from a large department store. When we had the back hoe and knocked the house down, even then the smell was overpowering
Old May 9, 2006, 06:54 PM   #33
Doggieman

good god!
Old May 9, 2006, 11:20 PM   #34
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The smell in the house was unbelievable, despite being cleaned professionally by people trained in that area of restoration, every time the heat would come on, we would get nauseated,....
I've been on a few of those GF, and you're right; it's a smell that never ever leaves, and it's one you never ever forget. It's totally different from a dead animal. It coats the hairs and lining of your nose, and you smell it for days after. And you might as well burn your clothes. Our coroner gave me a tip that helps.... some. Smear Vics Vapo-rub up your nose before you go in. You still smell it later though .

I've been on literally dozens of suicides and homicides by a firearm, and except for a shotgun, very few of them splatter teeth & bone around a room. Blood, yes. Now point blank impact to the skull will do that sometimes. A young man a few years ago decided to impress his friends by putting a .38 spl. snubbie to his temple and pulling the trigger. He forgot to unload it. I found a 2" piece of his skull three feet away on the ground. Believe it or not, he lived for about 20 minutes and gasped his last breath in front of me.

Now the gentleman that removed the upper half of his head with a 12 ga. here a few years back did quite literally "paint the room". That was the only one where I got literally and thoroughly sick.

But being shot from a distance with a handgun, at least from my experience, will rarely embed teeth in the wall. Possible, I guess, but t'ain't likely.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 10, 2006, 01:48 PM   #35
Mannlicher

this really, really sounds like a made up story. Not saying that its untruthful, but it kinda pegged my BS meter out.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 10, 2006, 02:00 PM   #36
Hedley

Man, that raises a problematic question for me. I always have a loaded .38sp in the bedroom, but was thinking of adding a 12g shotty too...but then I started thinking. If some dick were too invade my house, would I really want to dirty up the walls something fierce? You know that would be an instant "Time to move to a new house" situation. I know it sounds morbid and ridiculous, but I almost have more of a problem getting my place messy than disabling or fatally wounding an assailant.
Old May 10, 2006, 02:31 PM   #37
UniversalFrost

BS plain and simple

I have seen the aftermath of many CQB's while in the sand box (thank god I never had to be involved) and I have never seen teeth in a wall (not saying a 12 ga to the head wouldn't do the trick), but even when a grenade fraggs a guy it just sends splatter and little parts all over the place. The part about the stench is true. Had a post once where a guy got hit in the belly (took his vest off because he was hot, dumb!!) and the place smelled so bad a month later that we abandonded it and built another down the way. The story sounds made up and pure BS, when you have to kill somebody it isn't something you want to brag about afterwords, that is for the guys that were never there and never saw combat (REMF types with lots of souveniors and pictures that they show everybody). If you ever meet a vet (cop or military) and he doesn't want to talk about things of this nature it was because he most liekly pulled the trigger when needed, its the guys that are bragging openly that are full of BS and never did anything. that's my 2 cents.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 10, 2006, 05:01 PM   #38
Doggieman

Quote:
Man, that raises a problematic question for me. I always have a loaded .38sp in the bedroom, but was thinking of adding a 12g shotty too...but then I started thinking. If some dick were too invade my house, would I really want to dirty up the walls something fierce? You know that would be an instant "Time to move to a new house" situation. I know it sounds morbid and ridiculous, but I almost have more of a problem getting my place messy than disabling or fatally wounding an assailant.
You could simply ask him to step into the shower before pulling the trig.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:05 PM   #39
Hedley

haha, and I wouldn't want to get some sort of blood-carried disease either. I can just imagine it; "Uh excuse me Mr. robber, but would you mind stepping into the bathroom...no, no...more towards the shower. Oh, and let my put some safety goggles. Safety first."
Old May 10, 2006, 06:17 PM   #40
Heraclid

Thank God I do not know that stench, but it reminds me of something. There is a myth that an old samurai test of a new katana was how many bodies (supposedly sometimes living ones) it would cut through in one deft stroke. I recall reading a rebuke of this myth that listed this odor as one of the reasons it was not done.
Old May 11, 2006, 01:27 AM   #41
Lawyer Daggit

I would question the 'record' bit- if your not convicted you don't have a record. If you did it could give rise to discrimination.
Old May 11, 2006, 04:44 AM   #42
tanksoldier

Don't know if they still do, but some departments used to teach that for liability reasons. If cop #1 shoots a perp twice, and in another incident cop #2 has to shoot the perp 5 times some ignorant anti liberal might question if cop # 2 used excessive force. If everybody emptied their weapon, there's no question.

<<I've never heard of any self defense class that teaches to unload clips into people, regardless of the situation.>>

GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
Old May 11, 2006, 07:21 AM   #43
Dr. Courtney

Quote:
Not to doubt your friend's word on the matter, but it seems a little hard to believe. I've never heard of any self defense class that teaches to unload clips into people, regardless of the situation. The more rounds you use, the harder it is to justify it in court.
It's hard to say if the story is embellished a bit or some details have been recalled incorrectly. However, I know a number of self-defense trainers who advocate "shoot to lockback". Evan Marshall and Keith Jones are among them.

Shooting a whole magazine is not particularly difficult to justify in court, if the other details of the shooting event are clearly self-defense. A skilled shooter can empty a magazine much faster than it takes for the first hit to create incapacitation, and if the first shot was justified, every follow-up shot is justified as long as the bad guy is still holding a gun and conscious. As a self-defense trainer myself, I certainly would not recommend someone to stop shooting until the gun is empty or until the threat is clearly neutralized.

Quote:
But ok, assuming he got off for it, I'm surprised to hear that the blood and bone stuff was still all over. Because in any shooting death incident, after detectives check the scene over and are done with their findings, it is required procedure to have a professional cleaning crew, usually specializing in crime scene cleanup, to come in and deep clean everything. And I mean everything.
Not so at all. While this may be the case in some places, I personally know of shooting incidents where the home owner had to take care of the clean up.

Quote:
They're supposed to pull up carpet, knock out walls, whatever it takes to make it like it never happened. Probably cause of biohazard procedures. You know having some guys fluids sprayed all over an apartment complex is not exactly condusive to sanitary living.
As true as this is, without knowing the location and time frame of the incident, we have no idea the likelihood of the state either providing or mandating the clean-up you mention.

Michael Courtney
Old May 11, 2006, 06:02 PM   #44
Ziryo

Quote:
Thank God I do not know that stench, but it reminds me of something. There is a myth that an old samurai test of a new katana was how many bodies (supposedly sometimes living ones) it would cut through in one deft stroke. I recall reading a rebuke of this myth that listed this odor as one of the reasons it was not done.
Sounds like the practice of tameshigiri which was sometimes done on cadavers or convicted felons.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:26 PM   #45
Hedley

Speaking of stenches that never go leave your mind, I never knew blood had a smell until I found a highschool friend in his bathtub after he commited suicide. The tub was filled with what seemed like gallons of blood. I can't describe it...metallic almost?, but that is one thing that'll will always stick with me.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:13 PM   #46
all4cwa

it sounds like a novel to me

keep firing gentlemen I am liking the sound of it
Old May 11, 2006, 09:16 PM   #47
aspen1964

Old May 11, 2006, 09:59 PM   #48
gordo b.

"blood had a smell until I found a highschool friend in his bathtub after he commited suicide."

Like sour copper .

In the 80's and before there were some records that were held by the FBI and Depts and DOJ that were called " written notations" or somesuch that were limited in access to active investigations only. This is where 'criminal intelligence files' come in. I know for a fact that records of investigated subjects were kept even if no arrests or indicments were handed down.

That said, the story reeks of drug induced BS.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:01 PM   #49
the possum

Jumping in a bit late; I just saw this one.

I have no comments on the veracity of the story or your friend.

However, several people have chimed in to air doubts about the mess created. I have noted similar phenomena (lots of splatter, bone stuck on walls, etc.) several times while doing my particular brand of varmint hunting. I can't recall this ever happening with just one shot, so I'm not surprised it would be absent at a suicide scene. But, after the 7th or 10th hit in the same general area, things have already been "loosened up" substantially, making it easy for the next shot to simply launch any fragments/fluids that are just sitting loosely in the mushy area. IF you can believe the dude took 15 hits in the same general area, then it's not too hard to believe some of those shots basically overlapped. Set a pebble on a golf tee (i.e., so the rock isn't anchored to anything) in front of a wall & shoot it. Fragments do fly with alarming speed.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:29 PM   #50
Harley Quinn

I've seen many shooting scenes

Blood and splatter is always there when you have head shots. Especially with the bigger hand guns and rifles, shotguns are really ugly.

If he dumped a full mag into someone it would be ugly. Some guys like tats and it is a way of getting attention. So based on that, if he did shoot someone, and you were talking in a bar. It would not be to far fetched to have someone with that persona to want to tell you his lifes story.

A guy blew his brains all over the place in a nice corvette, never did get the smell out of it. He was found several days after it happened. We had a guy who bought and sold cars at the division I worked. He tried everything new headliner etc.. But it was a failure. Parted it out. Did not lose money, just did not make as much as he planned.

B/S or not who knows? But he told you and you believed it enough to post here, so might be true. Weirder things have happened, I can tell you that much.
It is not that hard to conceal smells in houses and apartments. New stuff on the market covers it all up. Need to seal and replace the carpet. Done all the time. Iron is the odor.

HQ
Closed Thread