The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2019, 10:30 AM   #1
corneileous

Deciding on second EDC pistol

So far, my EDC carry pistol has been my new Springfield XDE 45 compact with the 3.3” barrel. Love this little hand-cannon. Lol.

First off, I know it’s probably a better idea to just stick with the same carry gun through and through, but I’d like to have an extra handgun of mine to include into my carry rotation.

The only other guns I have in my arsenal that I feel would be worthy candidates are any of my three Beretta Storm PX4’s because they are very closely matched to the little Springfield being that they are hammer-fired and they all can be carried with the safety off and hammer decocked but I was thinking that it would be a better idea to stick with the same caliber. I have a full-size 10mm Sig P220 with a 5 inch barrel but that’s quite the heavy hunk of steel to carry around. That, and it’s single-action only, much like a typical 1911 but with no grip safety or a degree in mechanical engineering just to tear it down...lol.

I was originally thinking of using my compact Storm 9mm because it’s a lot shorter length-wise and just a little bit shorter height-wise than the other two Storms I have that are full-size but then I got to thinking about sticking with the same caliber which moves to my full-size 45 Storm.

Thoughts? Recoil-wise, the full-size 45 storm and my compact Springfield are pretty evenly matched.

I was, and still kinda am leaning more towards the 9mm Storm because despite it being a fatter double-stack, it’s still roughly the same overall size as the single-stack 45 XDE.

As I was waiting for my new kydex bare arms pancake holster to show up for the Springfield, I carried my full-size Beretta storm that I have chambered in 40 Smith & Wesson because I have a leather pancake holster for that. My 45 Beretta storm really doesn’t fit in it because the barrel on it is about a half an inch longer than the 40 so, if that leather holster I have wasn’t a thumb-break snap holster, I could’ve carried it as well.

Either way, whether I decide on the compact 9mm or the full-size 45, I’ll have to get a new holster made because I really like the setup on my Springfield with the ArmaLaser GTO GripSense laser I have on the rail and the custom built Bare Arms holster.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 19, 2019, 10:59 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

I carry 3 on me, at any one time.

The key is having something with the same kind of mechanism at least. I am not a fan of external safeties, these days.

That primary is good enough unless you want a backup. I just happen to carry 3 because my primary is a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket, I am able to rapid or slow fire it, and it’s feels most natural to me.

However, my backup are a Sig Sauer P365 and a S&W Performance Center 627 8 Shot 357 Magnum 2.5”.

Old November 19, 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
corneileous

Deciding on second EDC pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I carry 3 on me, at any one time.

The key is having something with the same kind of mechanism at least. I am not a fan of external safeties, these days.

That primary is good enough unless you want a backup. I just happen to carry 3 because my primary is a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket, I am able to rapid or slow fire it, and it’s feels most natural to me.

However, my backup are a Sig Sauer P365 and a S&W Performance Center 627 8 Shot 357 Magnum 2.5”.

I’m not a fan of external safeties either, that’s why I have a new carry pistol...lol. I had a Ruger LC9S that was an excellent little handgun but, I just never was all that crazy about it having a thumb-safety to remember to take off of things ever got sour. But, I won’t have a gun like that without one, either. That’s why all my handguns now are hammer-fired with one semi-auto just being a SAO and the little revolver having to cock the hammer each time ya fire it. The rest are DA/SA.

The Storms have all been converted to safety-less type G’s but the little Springfield has a safety, it just doesn’t get used. Plus, the safety lever on it is such low profile that even if there was a way to make it a safety-less handgun like my Storms, I don’t really feel the need to do it as necessary.

But where do you carry all that?...lol. I’ve pretty much gone to cargo pants as everyday work trousers so in all actuality, I could carry my little 22 magnum pug revolver on my right side cargo pocket in its custom leather pocket holster. Spare mag for whatever else I strong-side carry on my right hip goes in the left cargo pocket.

I guess I’ll have to look into an ankle holster for the little 22 for when I’m wearing my dress jeans. Summertime casual carry is just the Springfield in a pocket holster on my right side front hip pocket with spare magazine in the left cargo pocket.

Last edited by corneileous; November 19, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old November 19, 2019, 01:19 PM   #4
JMag1

It’s difficult to not recommend a PX-4 Storm Compact. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2019, 10:50 PM   #5
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMag1 View Post
It’s difficult to not recommend a PX-4 Storm Compact. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do too, and I may end up just going with that for my every-once-in-a-while carry.

Is yours a 9mm as well?

Old November 20, 2019, 08:26 AM   #6
USNRet93

Quote:
So far, my EDC carry pistol has been my new Springfield XDE 45 compact with the 3.3” barrel. Love this little hand-cannon. Lol.

First off, I know it’s probably a better idea to just stick with the same carry gun through and through, but I’d like to have an extra handgun of mine to include into my carry rotation.
Gotta ask why? Clothing, weather, concealment issues? In case the XDE breaks or something?

If ya love the XDE, can carry it easily, is reliable and you are good with it..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 20, 2019, 09:02 AM   #7
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Gotta ask why? Clothing, weather, concealment issues? In case the XDE breaks or something?

If ya love the XDE, can carry it easily, is reliable and you are good with it..

Just to make more use of some of my other guns.

But that’s why I made this discussion was to get advice and other input towardsy thoughts. I don’t really need a second primary EDC pistol, it’s just that the thought crossed my mind. I do like the idea of carrying a backup which, I think my little 22 mag revolver is an excellent candidate for that.

But who knows, the Springfield might just stay as my one and only EDC pistol just because the 9mm compact I have is on the other end of the spectrum from the much larger 45 caliber I do carry. And there is quite a it a difference in recoil between the two, which is why I shuffled my thought towards my full-size 45 but then realized that creates a whole other dilemma, the much larger and heavier size compared to the other one. lol.

I guess if I woulda went with the 9mm XDE, that would’ve been probably a much better match to my compact 9mm Storm. They’d be the same exact size and caliber with the only difference being that one’s a single stack and the other would be a double stack.

Old November 20, 2019, 02:11 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Get the same gun but in 9mm.
Old November 20, 2019, 02:46 PM   #9
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Jackalope View Post
Get the same gun but in 9mm.

You mean another XDE? I dunno if wanna go that route. lol. The XDE 45 was already a replacement to the Ruger LC9S that I was carrying because of my transition from a striker-fired gun to another hammer-fired gun.

Old November 20, 2019, 03:25 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

For the sake of staying with the same platform and feel.

I honestly don't like the XD lines in general, to be honest.

But if you wanted something different but the same manual of arms I'd get the same pistol.
Old November 20, 2019, 04:19 PM   #11
corneileous

Quote:
For the sake of staying with the same platform and feel.

I honestly don't like the XD lines in general, to be honest.

But if you wanted something different but the same manual of arms I'd get the same pistol.

I gotcha. But for whatever it’s worth, the manual of arms of my Beretta Storm PX4’s are virtually the same as the XDE. Granted, if I was talking a regular type -F Storm with a safety decocker then they would be quite different from the XDE platform because on the type-F Storms, down of the lever is safe and up of the lever is fire- the XDE on the other hand, is the opposite; up is safe, down is fire.

But since my Storms are now type G’s, they no longer have a manual safety so, the difference in the rotation of the safety lever no longer applies. How both pistols decock the hammer is still virtually the same as well, rotating the lever counter clockwise.

So pretty much carrying the XDE with the safety off and hammer decocked is practically identical between it and any of my Storms. Even the trigger weights and pulls are pretty close to the same as well. The storms are 12 pound DA pull with a 6 pound SA pull. The XDE is like 11 pounds on the DA pull, 5.5 pounds on the SA pounds.

I’ve never been fond of the other XD’s that are striker-fired but then again, I don’t care for any striker guns to be honest but I like this one. Maybe it’s because it has a hammer.

Old November 20, 2019, 04:34 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

I don't know about all that.

Tap and rack on a slide mounted safety / decocker is different than on your XDE.

I mean the same guns. For example, an HK P30 versus a P226, they both are DA/SA but with different locations on their safety / decockers.

I'm talking Glock 17/19/26.
Old November 20, 2019, 05:20 PM   #13
corneileous

Quote:
I don't know about all that.
What’s there not to get? Both pistols are pull from the holster and shoot. Virtually the same first DA shot, then the roughly the same SA shot from there on out until the mag is empty. Still the same SA shot unless you decock the hammer and start over. No safety to work.

Quote:
Tap and rack on a slide mounted safety / decocker is different than on your XDE.

I mean the same guns. For example, an HK P30 versus a P226, they both are DA/SA but with different locations on their safety / decockers.
Well yeah, between those two guns, the decockers are in two completely different locations. The HK being a push button on the back of the slide and on the Sig, it’s a very long downward swoop like, below where the slide release is.

Sure, the decocker on the Storm is on the slide and the decocker on the XDE is on the frame but they’re still both in the same exact spot.

Quote:
I'm talking Glock 17/19/26.

Well, believe me, if Beretta would have made a single stack version of the Compact PX4 or even the sub compact PX4, I would’ve been all over it like a rat on a Cheeto but unfortunately, they don’t make one.

I looked at quite a few single-stack compacts that were DA/SA and out of all the ones I looked at, the XDE was what I thought was the closest I could find to my PX4’s. I guess maybe I woulda been better off getting it in a 9mm if I would’ve thought that far ahead because that would’ve matched my compact 9mm Storm perfectly.

I dunno, this is one of those reasons why I may just carry the XDE exclusively.

Old November 20, 2019, 07:49 PM   #14
Ben Dover

Check out the CZ P07

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 21, 2019, 11:55 AM   #15
Amegatek

I have a large and smaller version in both my carry calibers. In ,45 Auto, I have the Glock 21 and the Glock 30 (both Gen 4). In 9mm, I have the Sig P320 X-Carry and the Sig P365 XL. That is my carry rotation. I used to have hammer fired pistols as well, but consolidated to all striker fired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2019, 05:31 PM   #16
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amegatek View Post
I have a large and smaller version in both my carry calibers. In ,45 Auto, I have the Glock 21 and the Glock 30 (both Gen 4). In 9mm, I have the Sig P320 X-Carry and the Sig P365 XL. That is my carry rotation. I used to have hammer fired pistols as well, but consolidated to all striker fired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I haven’t shot none of those you have but how do you feel with the difference of recoil when you carry from one caliber to the next? That’s my only concern is the recoil difference. I mean, I really don’t see an issue with remembering what caliber I have out of the two because it would only be two pistols to your four, in my rotation. Even if I included three calibers in my rotation, I know my guns enough to know it like the back of my hand what caliber I have and carry at any given time so, that’s why I’m not really seeing an issue if I carry my 45 for a while, then switch to my 9mm.

Old November 22, 2019, 12:57 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
What’s there not to get? Both pistols are pull from the holster and shoot. Virtually the same first DA shot, then the roughly the same SA shot from there on out until the mag is empty. Still the same SA shot unless you decock the hammer and start over. No safety to work.
Different triggers altogether. Weight, pull, grit, etc. They're the "Same" but different. I've never felt two manufacturers have the same feel in DA or SA or their reset.

Quote:
Well yeah, between those two guns, the decockers are in two completely different locations. The HK being a push button on the back of the slide and on the Sig, it’s a very long downward swoop like, below where the slide release is.

Sure, the decocker on the Storm is on the slide and the decocker on the XDE is on the frame but they’re still both in the same exact spot.
You're thinking only P30-style. Even USPs. It's behind the slide stop/release like a 1911.
While SIG Sauer has them in front of the slide stop lever. Transitioning those two under stress or even plain muscle memory can take a second away.

I "decocked" like it was a SIG for a while before getting used to the HKs.

Quote:
Well, believe me, if Beretta would have made a single stack version of the Compact PX4 or even the sub compact PX4, I would’ve been all over it like a rat on a Cheeto but unfortunately, they don’t make one.
LOL. If only. There's just that silly Pico? Is it a Pico?

Quote:
I looked at quite a few single-stack compacts that were DA/SA and out of all the ones I looked at, the XDE was what I thought was the closest I could find to my PX4’s. I guess maybe I woulda been better off getting it in a 9mm if I would’ve thought that far ahead because that would’ve matched my compact 9mm Storm perfectly.
You already know what I'm thinking lol.

The same gun is the same gun. Everything else is just similar.
Old November 22, 2019, 04:50 PM   #18
dgludwig

Not much wrong and lots of things right with carrying a revolver for EDC duties, imo. I have four revolvers my wife and I can decide from for carrying concealed: a Smith & Wesson Model 12 (chambered in .38 Special), a vintage Colt Cobra (chambered in .38 Special) and two Ruger LCRs (one chambered in .38 Special and the other stoked with .327 Federal Magnum ammunition).
I also carry semi-auto pistols from time to time.
Old November 22, 2019, 09:35 PM   #19
corneileous

Quote:
Different triggers altogether. Weight, pull, grit, etc. They're the "Same" but different. I've never felt two manufacturers have the same feel in DA or SA or their reset.
That’s why I used the words virtually and roughly. They are different but same enough for me.

Quote:
You're thinking only P30-style. Even USPs. It's behind the slide stop/release like a 1911.
While SIG Sauer has them in front of the slide stop lever. Transitioning those two under stress or even plain muscle memory can take a second away.

I "decocked" like it was a SIG for a while before getting used to the HKs.
I only googled the models you wrote and that’s what I saw.

Quote:
LOL. If only. There's just that silly Pico? Is it a Pico?
Well, close. I think it’s an internal hammer but it’s DAO.

Quote:
You already know what I'm thinking lol.

The same gun is the same gun. Everything else is just similar.
Yeah I know but that would mean buying a new gun.

Old November 23, 2019, 10:21 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Ah. Understood.

What's your current front-runner?
Old November 24, 2019, 01:46 PM   #21
Cosmodragoon

I also prefer DA/SA with no manual safety. I know why people like manual safeties but they feel superfluous in DA/SA. The double-action pull and positive feedback from the hammer adequately address safety concerns without presenting an extra step that could trip you up in a crisis.

The PX4 is a great gun. It's a little chunky but the batwing safety levers have a lot to do with it. Would I be correct in assuming that you installed the low-profile levers when you converted to Type G?

The overall ergonomics and the rotating barrel system make the PX4 one of the softest-shooting handguns on the market. It takes the snap out of .40 S&W and makes 9mm about as comfortable as can be. I haven't tried the compact but those features should carry over relative to other compacts.

As far as caliber goes, I wouldn't think twice about a switch from .45acp to 9mm. I spent a long time trying to weigh the pros and cons. Unless you've got an arbitrary magazine limit to worry about, the scale tips pretty favorably towards 9mm for EDC. If you want a little more oomph, I think the PX4 in .40 S&W compares favorably to .45acp as well.
Old November 24, 2019, 10:19 PM   #22
corneileous

Quote:
Ah. Understood.

What's your current front-runner?

Currently it’s my Springfield XDE 45. I didn’t really buy it because it was 45- I coulda just as easily got one in 9mm too but I dunno, I just felt really interested in the 45 version.

Old November 24, 2019, 10:33 PM   #23
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
I also prefer DA/SA with no manual safety. I know why people like manual safeties but they feel superfluous in DA/SA. The double-action pull and positive feedback from the hammer adequately address safety concerns without presenting an extra step that could trip you up in a crisis.
My sentiments exactly. That was my main reason for switching to DA/SA guns because I just simply can’t have a typical striker-fired gun because I won’t have one without an external safety but, I’d rather not have a safety on a handgun anyways.

Quote:
The PX4 is a great gun. It's a little chunky but the batwing safety levers have a lot to do with it. Would I be correct in assuming that you installed the low-profile levers when you converted to Type G?
It is. That’s why I have three. Lol.

But yeah, mine have all been converted to G’s. Love them so much better this way.

Quote:
The overall ergonomics and the rotating barrel system make the PX4 one of the softest-shooting handguns on the market. It takes the snap out of .40 S&W and makes 9mm about as comfortable as can be. I haven't tried the compact but those features should carry over relative to other compacts.
It’s pretty nice. I just wish it was a little thinner. But that’s why I settled on the Springfield because minus the fact that it still has a safety [that I don’t use] and that it can be carried cocked and locked 1911 style [which I also have no intention of carrying that way], it was the perfect supplement to a single-stack PX4 that Beretta doesn’t make.

Quote:
As far as caliber goes, I wouldn't think twice about a switch from .45acp to 9mm. I spent a long time trying to weigh the pros and cons. Unless you've got an arbitrary magazine limit to worry about, the scale tips pretty favorably towards 9mm for EDC. If you want a little more oomph, I think the PX4 in .40 S&W compares favorably to .45acp as well.

Are you talking about a complete switch, or as a back and forth switch?

Old November 25, 2019, 03:05 AM   #24
stephen426

Have you thought about just getting another of the same gun? That way your mags and ammo can be used in either. It would be like carrying the Glock 19 and having the Glock 26 as a backup. The advantage is that you can carry the mags for a Glock 17 and have a lot of rounds on hand.
Old November 25, 2019, 08:49 AM   #25
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
Have you thought about just getting another of the same gun? That way your mags and ammo can be used in either. It would be like carrying the Glock 19 and having the Glock 26 as a backup. The advantage is that you can carry the mags for a Glock 17 and have a lot of rounds on hand.

Of which gun? The reason I bought a new gun in the first place was because I just grew to no longer liking carrying the Ruger LC9S that I’ve got which is striker fired and has a manual thumb safety on the slide.

As I’ve always been saying, I really like and have come to love the DA/SA hammer fired pistols because of my PX4 Berettas. Well, since Beretta doesn’t make a single stack PX4, that little Springfield XDE that I bought is what I felt was the closest to that platform.

But in order to do like what you’re talking about like with those Glocks you mentioned, is that I would’ve had to of bought me that double stack subcompact PX4 in a 9 mm that would’ve allowed me to use the little bit larger compact mags in that smaller pistol. Or as an alternative, I could a got that subcompact PX4 in a 40 to where I coulda used my full-size PX4 40 magazines with but then again, that totally defeats the purpose for why I wanted something like the Springfield in the first place was because it’s just a single stack.

Since my primary mode of carry now is outside the waistband in a Kydex holster, that’s why I’m not just solely carrying my 9 mm compact storm as my one and only EDC pistol because of the thickness of it- which, in lieu of all that is probably why I may just stick to the Springfield wholeheartedly because of why I bought it in the first place.