The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 14, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Greybeard

Top of the 9'th, bases loaded in TX Legislature

A paste below of what I posted on my Facebook page this morning. Request here for all Texans to do something similar. And stay on top of it all thru the end of the month.

"Well, pistol fans, it's "crunch time" with the Texas Legislature. Consider it the top of the ninth, bases loaded, score of 0-0, 1 out, with our #9 batter at the plate. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=110 describes bills we need to get passed. And which House Reps and Senators need to be called and/or faxed. Please study up and light em up! Because you can bet all your bullets the opposition is doing it!"
Old May 16, 2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Greybeard

current calls for action

Re: What Are The Current Calls For Action?

by hirundo82 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:58 am

Ask your representative and Speaker Straus to preserve the Campus Carry amendment to SB1581 and oppose any gutting amendments

Call Calendars and ask that HB766 be placed on the Major State calendar

Ask your representative to support Rep. Kleinschmidt's amendment to SB905

From: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtop...?f=110&t=45116
Old May 20, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Looks like it's toast. There will be all sort of recriminations about the strategy and players. I'll pass on that. I hope the parking lot bill will make it through but I doubt it. OC never had a chance and might have hurt the others - an issue for debate.

A cautionary word for all those who got so excited and thought the battle was won with Wentworth's little trick of attaching the bill in the Senate. It was easily removed in the House.

PS - TX chl forum folks say that parking lot is still likely to pass. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:37 PM   #4
csmsss

The archaic procedural rules of the legislature are to blame for all of this. Will they ever be significantly changed for the better? Dunno, but they have the net result of requiring a supermajority for just about every piece of legislature before it can pass.
Old May 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
The archaic procedural rules of the legislature are to blame for all of this. Will they ever be significantly changed for the better? Dunno, but they have the net result of requiring a supermajority for just about every piece of legislature before it can pass.
  1. Yup.
  2. We would need long yearly rather than short biennial legislative sessions for that to happen. Don't hold your breath.
  3. Not necessarily; don't forget that influential committee chairs and the Lt. Gov. can get stupid pet bills passed by threatening deadlock if it doesn't happen. Creating deadlock is easy due to the short biennial session and Byzantine procedural rules...
I love TX most of the time. During the legislative session- not so much.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to start a debate on the subject but Perry just signed the sonogram bill which is an antiabortion measure (don't discuss abortion!!) which he fast tracekd on the emergency agenda.

He could have done the same for the gun bills and was asked to do so according to the TSRA.

Figure it out = a procedural fix was in as happened to gun bills in 2009.

If influential people wanted it - it would have happened. it is the typical bait and switch conflict of powerful interests vs. snowing the people by a pseudoeffort.

We will see with parking lot. If that fails, the NRA should rate Perry down and a few of the legislators who were 'rkba' - hah.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
We will see with parking lot. If that fails, the NRA should rate Perry down and a few of the legislators who were 'rkba' - hah.
I'd like to see TSRA give him the same treatment under the same failure. Somehow, I just don't think they would.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy