The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 15, 2011, 06:11 PM   #26
SPUSCG

Ive heard the carry age was 16 in vermont, seemed rediculous but they allow machine guns, licenceless concealed carry, they really dont have laws for anything.
Old March 5, 2011, 05:33 PM   #27
bigbird34

Vermont & Maple syrup

I have lived in Vt most of my life,I live next to lake champlain in the N.W. Part of Vt,it's cold in the winter and it snows alot here....2011 Feb broke a snow record....I don't ski,or fish anymore,but I plow snow and buy guns ....

We have NO state gun laws.You can own a machine gun if you have a class 3 FFL....

We must abide to federal laws,(schools,fed buildings etc).

We need no CC permit,I can carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle,but not a shotgun or rifle(this is a HUNTING LAW)....

Unfortunatley we have a lot of people from different walks of life coming into Vt from all over the world...we don't have a lot of crime but any crime is to much....drugs are coming in every day and these dumb as's get caught and go to prison.....I carry in the spring and walk my dogs with a loaded pistol,as coyotes and an occasional moose or bear I may bump into .....most people I know don't mind me carrying a pistol,some seem safer in the woods with a gun....others think I'm nuts .....I like to keep everyone guessing as to what I might be carrying on any particular day .... I don't mind being considered a nut .....I have a C&R as I collect antique ammo ......and I'll also shoot any skunks in my yard,as I don't like washing skunk smell off of my four labs ...

snip - not our business - GEM

I am getting older,and the winters seem longer .....but I'll tough it out here as long as I can ....and then my sons can have my guns ,to do with what ever they want....

Got questions about Vt ,just P.M. me....BB34
Old March 5, 2011, 05:53 PM   #28
bigbird34

Suicides

We had a young man in high school ,obtain a handgun from his high school friend,The friend did not know his friend planned on ending his life with this handgun,but he did...it's a tragedy....

The parents of the young man who commited suicide,blame the fact that the pistol was easy to obtain,and if it was locked in a vault their son would still be alive .....(Mass law states trigger lock on each gun in a locked case when transported) I doubt this law will go into effect as we can carry handguns on our person or in vehicles...if the young man had commited suicide with his friends car ,we'd have lock up all our cars and stuff them in garages (vaults).

IMHO that the parents need to blame something for the lose of their son....

My 2 cents BB34

BTW,my guns are in a safe ,and locked ,the ammo is in a seperate safe,that is locked IIRC Then again one might be hiding in the house somewhere waiting for the next stinking skunk to come around !!!
Old March 5, 2011, 06:17 PM   #29
ATW525

Suppressors are illegal in VT, for what it's worth.
Old March 6, 2011, 10:36 PM   #30
stevelyn

Another of those "hunting" laws I suspect.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:50 PM   #31
thrgunsmith

afaik you can not carry loaded rifles in your car due to poaching
Old April 30, 2011, 11:58 PM   #32
DinoDinoBoBino

Non-Resident Of VT

I am going to visiting a friend in VT for 6 wks. Will I be able to purchase a firearm in the state of VT, with my out of state id? I do not have a license or permit from any other state. I was never convicted of any sort of crime (other then a traffic ticket) I also do not use drugs of any sort..

Basically why question is simple terms. What is need to buy a fire arm in the state of VT for a NON-Resident?

thank you in advance...
Old May 1, 2011, 12:08 AM   #33
egor20

This sums it up best Dino

Section 4015. Purchase of firearms by nonresidents

Residents of a state other than the state of Vermont may purchase rifles and shotguns in the state of Vermont, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the state of Vermont and in the state in which such persons reside.

http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

ie: no handguns.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 1, 2011, 02:07 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks, we care about gun issues according to the OP. We don't care about life style issues. So let that go.

If there is a forum to complain or praise diverse life styles - find it. Just like there is probably a forum to discuss the great artisanal cheese of VT.

Glenn
Old May 1, 2011, 03:56 PM   #35
chasep255

Quote:
Suppressors are illegal in VT, for what it's worth.
I heard somewhere that the penalty for breaking this law is a $25 fine. Of course if you don't have it legally under federal law the penalty is a bit worse.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:44 PM   #36
Daugherty16

VT is indeed a beautiful state. Personally i prefer NH, which (to correct a prior post) is the actual Live Free Or Die state.

NH has a little coastline, a lot of mountains, wildlife, and lakes, low/no taxes, and gun laws that make sense. It took me about 4 weeks to get my NR permit for NH. NH is a bit more conservative than VT, which suits me fine.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:01 PM   #37
Dead

Quote:
The only downside to Vermont's system is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont does not offer the option of obtaining a permit. This can be a problem if you want/need to get a non-resident permit from a state that requires proof of a home state permit before issuing.
how about a copy of your VT DL? That would show that you are indeed entitled to legally carry PER your home states laws no?
Old May 2, 2011, 10:17 PM   #38
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
The only downside to Vermont's system is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont does not offer the option of obtaining a permit. This can be a problem if you want/need to get a non-resident permit from a state that requires proof of a home state permit before issuing.
how about a copy of your VT DL? That would show that you are indeed entitled to legally carry PER your home states laws no?
There is no simple answer. It depends on exactly how the law is written for the state in which you wish to obtain a license/permit. If the law only says you must be legally allowed to carry in your home state, a driver's license should suffice. If the law says you must have a license (or permit) to carry issued by your state of residence, a driver's license won't do it.

Being in a nation comprised of fifty states is both a blessing and a curse. Since each state writes its own laws, almost nothing has a one-size-fits-all answer.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:00 AM   #39
armsmaster270

My wife & I have a friend in VT and we go stay with her and she stays with us. Sort of our summer place and her winter place
Old May 4, 2011, 07:19 AM   #40
AirForceShooter

Move to Vermont.
Get a Florida N0n-Resident ccw.

That should do ya

You know it's cold in Vermont?

AFS
Old May 4, 2011, 09:56 AM   #41
lawnboy

Quote:
Vt. is extremely gun friendly, but after a number of recent suicides there is discussion of a some sort of "responsibility" clause pertaining to firearms owners. "All firearms would require locks/safes"

We haven't heard the wording yet, but the example I have heard is "they dont want someone to be able to wander into your home and access and/or kill themselves with your firearm."
So, the solution to the suicide issue is to require the gun to be locked? So that you REALLY, REALLY need to want to die in order to go to all the trouble of grabbing your keyring.

And either I'm interpreting your post wrong or there is now a Burglar Rights movement in VT concerned with the well-being of despondent criminals?

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old May 4, 2011, 10:35 AM   #42
yourang?

i may be wrong here but that hasnt stopped me before

but......

i vaguely remember seeing some where that you could petition
your local police or maybe even the state police of vermont, who
could issue you some kind of "license" that would allow native
vermonters to apply for non-resident permits in other states

and other states are aware that vermont has no carry license
but accept this "certificate" instead of a state issued license

like i said: i could be wrong

but if you are moving to vermont, you will always have a problem