The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 22, 2018, 08:12 PM   #26
Kvon2

So I'm late to the party but a few things;

1. I can't believe no one has mentioned looking at howa rifles

2. The cz 527 is available in .223(90% sure)

3. I would stay away from recent Remington productions, they've had issues recently. Not sure if that directly applies to their bolt guns but given the current status of the company I'll probably wait on their products until things get in order..
Or go on clearance
Old April 22, 2018, 08:56 PM   #27
ninosdemente

I did read Remington filed for bankruptcy.
Old April 22, 2018, 09:21 PM   #28
GLK

I just snagged a left handed Ruger American in 223 Rem. from this company, their prices are hard to beat. $350.00 with a free china sling delivered to my FFL
https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html
Here is the one I ordered.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-am...U#.Wt1D1i7waos
Old April 23, 2018, 05:58 AM   #29
fourbore

My primary consideration in recommending the CZ 527 and the Tikka are the SUPERIOR ACCURACY. The alternative Ruger is not as accurate on average. On average while generally very good to adequate neither the Ruger or Savage can be counted on to deliver as high a level of accuracy as CZ or Tikka. IMHO, based on considerable collective experince - a lot of friends with a lot of guns and my own.

The Tikka has better lock, stock, barrel and trigger. It is not nice or stylish, it is is a solid better choice on all accounts. Everything is better than the other two.

The CZ is just as good as Tikka (lock, barrel, trigger, stock) with high class walnut stock and fine metal work. And you probably pay an extra 100 or two for that "niceness".

My CZ 527 varmint will do 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and that was day 1, with only a couple loads tested. it was so good, I quit testing and just started hunting.
Old April 23, 2018, 09:38 AM   #30
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
My primary consideration in recommending the CZ 527 and the Tikka are the SUPERIOR ACCURACY. The alternative Ruger is not as accurate on average. On average while generally very good to adequate neither the Ruger or Savage can be counted on to deliver as high a level of accuracy as CZ or Tikka. IMHO, based on considerable collective experince - a lot of friends with a lot of guns and my own.

The Tikka has better lock, stock, barrel and trigger. It is not nice or stylish, it is is a solid better choice on all accounts. Everything is better than the other two.

The CZ is just as good as Tikka (lock, barrel, trigger, stock) with high class walnut stock and fine metal work. And you probably pay an extra 100 or two for that "niceness".

My CZ 527 varmint will do 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and that was day 1, with only a couple loads tested. it was so good, I quit testing and just started hunting.
Almost every Savage .223 I've ever been in the presence of shoots sub 3/4" groups. I haven't shot a Ruger or even witnessed one being shot. I have a M11 Predator that holds MOA to 600 yards with no wind.

There was a group of guys at my local range that were there almost every day shooting tiny groups with their STOCK Savage .223s. There was a couple 12BVSS, a model 25 Lightweight Varminter Thumbhole, and one guy who was winning 200-yd benchrest matches with a M12 LRPV in .223.

I don't think I've ever seen a CZ or Tikka winning at the benches.

I love the the 527 Varmint but they're not as nice as the internet guys are saying. They're pretty rough cut, in my opinion. And Tikka priced themselves out of the budget market.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old April 23, 2018, 09:55 AM   #31
GLK

On average(in my experience & opinion)from the factory Savage is far and away the most accurate base rifle offered.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:41 AM   #32
ninosdemente

So I have narrowed it down to two options: 12FV and 10T-SR Tactical. I did go to store to hold/feel it. Did like both of them. Now the 10T does have a threaded barrel, just not sure if I will ever really use it. For that caliber, is a muzzle brake or silencer really needed/necessary? Did see that 12FV is 2" longer than the 10T.

I know I still have to purchase a scope.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:37 AM   #33
jpx2rk

I've got 2 of the FV12's, a 223 & a 204R, call 'em the twins. Both are very accurate rifles, the stocks are a common complaint but I'm getting sub MOA with handloads on a regular basis. Cabelas usually puts these models on sale 2x's a yr with a $100 Savage rebate on top of that. I've got about $250 in each rifle after sale & rebates before scopes & rings.

Can't comment on the 10T model, but the threaded barrel would be nice in terms of it's already set up to accept a silencer if the mood ever hits you. Check out savageshootersdotcom for lots of comments on the FV12.
Old May 5, 2018, 09:06 AM   #34
ninosdemente

Thanks for the input jpx2rk. For me at the moment, the threaded barrel is making me not to make a final decision.
Old May 7, 2018, 08:20 AM   #35
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Thanks for the input jpx2rk. For me at the moment, the threaded barrel is making me not to make a final decision.
I think the 10T would be a little more practical (for me) but I think it's quite a bit more expensive than the 12FV, right?

I LOVE my little M11 Trophy Predator model in .223. I traded the scope that came on it for a bunch of brass and put a Vortex Viper PST on it. It's heavy but not too heavy to carry around. Also generally a lot more $$$ than a 12FV but I think it's quite a bit more practical if you're ever going to carry it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2018, 08:23 AM   #36
FiveInADime

I also wanted to add that the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter comes with the 1.5lb Accutrigger and it's fantastic.

Old May 7, 2018, 09:54 PM   #37
ninosdemente

Yes, at the moment the 10T is about $130 and that is because it is on sale for $549 but for a few more days.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:39 PM   #38
Water-Man

Ruger American for under $400.00..
Old May 8, 2018, 08:08 AM   #39
FiveInADime

Quote:
Yes, at the moment the 10T is about $130 and that is because it is on sale for $549 but for a few more days.
That's what the 11 TPH sells for, I think. You could also sell the Nikon scope for what it's worth that comes on it. I'm not sure if the 12FV or 10T comes with the "varmint" Accutrigger (1.5lb) but that feature is worth it to me.

The 11 TPH has an Axis-style stock and magazine but I actually like it. The barrel generously free floats and won't flex enough to touch while shooting. It shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards and sometimes 3/4" groups at 200 yards with handloads, Federal GMM, or Outback 69gr Sierra MKs. I bought 10 boxes of that Outback when Cabelas had it for $12 a couple years ago.

Old May 8, 2018, 09:03 AM   #40
ninosdemente

That rifle is actually the same price as the 10T. As yours does come with the rings and scope. The 10T only has the scope rail.
Old May 8, 2018, 02:19 PM   #41
FiveInADime

Quote:
That rifle is actually the same price as the 10T. As yours does come with the rings and scope. The 10T only has the scope rail.
I put steel bases, Burris Signature rings, and that Viper PST on it before I ever fired it but my buddy likes that 3-9 Nikon my rifle came with on his AR. It's not great for shooting groups because of the circle reticle but it's pretty nice for shooting at a coyote or a big gong target or milk jugs or something.

Old May 8, 2018, 11:05 PM   #42
ninosdemente

Well it seems that the 12FV will be on sale tomorrow ($50 off) and I have a $50 gift card, so I guess the 12FV will do for $319. Would have liked the threaded barrel but I do have to get the rail, rings and scope which are next on the list.

I was looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Mil-Dot Riflescope. It's priced at $429. I was shown a lower Vortex but this one was clearer.
Old May 10, 2018, 05:50 AM   #43
jpx2rk

I used DNZ 1 pc mounts on my FV12's, no issues at all with them, and used them on a couple rimfire builds. Solid mounts.
Old May 10, 2018, 07:03 AM   #44
ninosdemente

Thanks for the rails suggestion jpx2rk. Was about to ask rail suggestion.