The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 14, 2018, 11:10 PM   #1
kymasabe

New Jersey Compliance ? Unthreaded AR barrel ?

A friend of mine lives in NJ and wants to buy an AR but they have a mag capacity limit (easy to comply with) and a rule stating that the AR can't have a flash hider or the end of the barrel threaded. I suggested he get some kind of thread protector to cover the threaded end and have it pinned in place OR buy an AR with a long barrel and have the threaded end cut off and the barrel recrowned. I'm not sure either are a great idea and was wondering if you all had other ideas....or know of a source for unthreaded AR barrels?
Old April 15, 2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Screwball

New Jersey Compliance ? Unthreaded AR barrel ?

If he lives in NJ, there are plenty of places that either sell ARs that are compliant, or do compliance work. He just has to look around to what is close to him... NJ Gun Forums would be a good source of info.

Law states no flash hiders or threads that can accept a flash hider... so most people install a muzzle brake instead (plenty of A2 style brakes, which really just has an end to it that only allows the bullet to exit). Doesn’t have to be permanently pinned, either (unless it is 14.5”, which must be for Federal law).

When I had my .45 D/I upper built, I had a target crown left on the barrel. Figured I could have it threaded when I leave NJ, if I wanted to do anything with it. I think you’d have better luck getting a barrel without threads over cutting one down... as could be an issue if it is lined.

Specific info on the law, on page 4, starting at “i.”

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/062408_title13ch54.pdf

Last edited by Screwball; April 15, 2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old April 15, 2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Mobuck

I happen to have 2 unthreaded AR's that might be for sale.
Old April 16, 2018, 11:37 PM   #4
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

Law states no flash hiders or threads that can accept a flash hider... so most people install a muzzle brake instead (plenty of A2 style brakes, which really just has an end to it that only allows the bullet to exit). Doesn’t have to be permanently pinned, either (unless it is 14.5”, which must be for Federal law).
Specific info on the law, on page 4, starting at “i.”

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/062408_title13ch54.pdf
My understanding is that "...or threads that can accept a flash hider" isn't nullified by installing a muzzle brake, as it doesn't eliminate the threads that can accept a flash hider, just covers/uses them. So I'm pretty sure the barrel has to be unthreaded.
I guess he can buy locally in NJ but I was under the impression that its more difficult to find one there, or to find a dealer/seller, or is more expensive. I don't know, I live in Florida and don't have to deal with those kinds of crazy restrictions.
Old April 17, 2018, 01:27 AM   #5
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
My understanding is that "...or threads that can accept a flash hider" isn't nullified by installing a muzzle brake, as it doesn't eliminate the threads that can accept a flash hider, just covers/uses them. So I'm pretty sure the barrel has to be unthreaded.

Incorrect... per NJ State Police and NJ AG interpretation of the law.

If you put a muzzle device that is not a flash hider... could be a thread protector, could be a fake suppressor... and you pin it in position, you don’t have threads available to install a flash hider. Have to do some work (drill out a blind pin or remove a weld) to be able to put a flash hider on there. For rifles in Florida, or any state that doesn’t have an AWB, you have a 16”+ barrel... your muzzle device doesn’t need to be pinned. Can remove it and toss on whatever. Drop to 14.5” barrel (anything under 16”)... and the muzzle device getting to 16” must be permanently pinned (Federal law, or you get a tax stamp for a SBR). To say you must have an unthreaded barrel would be along the lines of saying everyone with a pinned 14.5” barrel has an illegal SBR. If you have an unpinned muzzle device, on a rifle in this group (semi-auto, detachable magazine... within NJ borders), you have an addition feature with the threaded barrel... even if it isn’t a flash hider. If pinned, as long as it isn’t a flash hider, it isn’t a feature. It is a stupid law, but being in violation of it is a second degree crime.

Flash hiders (and threads to accept them), themselves, aren’t illegal. On a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine... accompanied by an additional feature (pistol grip, for example), it is illegal. Take a bolt action rifle, even with a detachable magazine (can even have a capacity over 15 rounds in non semi-autos), and you can have a collapsible stock, pistol grip, bayonet lug, and flash hider on it. Perfectly legal per 2C:39.

I don’t have a direct link for info regarding a muzzle brake being ok... with the exception of it not being a flash hider. Some FFLs within NJ do compliance work on rifles that may not be legal upon delivery (I had a SUB-2000 that needed to be pinned by my FFL)... but they must be legal when transferred to the NJ resident. Those FFLs contact the NJSP Firearms Unit for info regarding these legalities and others (approved methods of permanently blocking a high capacity magazine, as an example)... and considering I’ve had rifles with pinned muzzle brakes go through multiple NJ FFLs, I can’t see a pinned muzzle brake being an issue. If so, NJSP inspections of shops with ARs on shelves with pinned muzzle brakes (commonly found across the state) likely would have been common knowledge by now that there is something illegal going on.

However, give the Troopers at the NJSP Firearms Unit a call about it. They are good people working there, and likely will be able to give you the specific AG guideline that confirms that. Not really seeing how my associated rifles with pinned muzzle brakes would be illegal, as none have flash hiders or threads to install them.