The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 8, 2018, 11:16 PM   #51
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I'm LEGALLY & MORALLY covered for $15 the buyer pays on the rare occasion I sell something.
You realize $15 background checks are not available in some areas, right? In my are they will cost about double that and some have claimed closer to $100 in their area.
Old April 9, 2018, 06:29 AM   #52
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
You realize $15 background checks are not available in some areas, right? In my are they will cost about double that and some have claimed closer to $100 in their area.
Was unaware that $15 was not the national standard. I'd say try a different store, but I'm not sure that's a possibility for everyone.
Old April 9, 2018, 04:32 PM   #53
spacemanspiff

Quote:
If you can't afford a 99 cent cabinet latch, you shouldn't have kids
Maybe you should do an infomercial? Encourage people to donate a few pennies each month so every home and apartment can have these 99 cent cabinet latches?

I can't say I would donate to this cause myself, as I would rather put those pennies towards rescuing abandoned kittens, but someone out there would definitely send money for such a worthy cause.

Yes, I would choose rescuing kittys instead of keeping little Johnny and Sally from drinking bleach, and I would also rescue kittys instead of furthering cancer research, and more importantly, I would choose the kittys over securing every gun in this country.
Old April 11, 2018, 02:53 PM   #54
T. O'Heir

"...with enough time..." Yep. Measured in seconds. No case is thief proof. Hard cases are about keeping the thing from being damaged, not stolen.
"...convert my walk-in closet to a fortified gun bunker..." Put a combination lock on the door. You'll have to give her the numbers though. Assuming that's the only closet in the house. Mind you, just taking the bolt out renders the thing inoperable.
"...You are RESPONSIBLE for a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands..." No, you aren't(unless you're up here.). You are not responsible for the actions of any criminal who steals your firearms. Any more than you are if your vehicle is stolen. If somebody steals your property, you are the victim of a crime. Period.
Old April 12, 2018, 04:56 AM   #55
JeepHammer

$10-$15 locally, the only prick that was charging $30 is out of business, as any dealer should be that won't do it reasonably.

The machine gun shoot is this weekend, I'll see old friends from the entire country and see what they are charging.