The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 7, 2018, 10:13 PM   #76
JeepHammer

Ed, I saw the same thing, experienced shooters/hunters NOT putting hogs down...
So the entire 'Wrong Ammo' argument goes out the window with experienced shooters/hunters.

I was in NE Texas a couple years ago hog hunting, two of the ranches I hunt regularly have outright banned .300BO, the third place I like sent out mailers they were banning .300BO this year.

What I see with .30-30 shooters are a lot of bolt actions (night vision easier on bolt rifles) and a lot of pointed bullets on handloads., And those guys have been shooting the same rifles for decades, so they don't try the idiot shots for .30-30 since they know the firearm & ammo.
Not so much with .300BO, .458 SOCOM, etc.

Smaller javelina pigs get .223, while the bigger porkers get .308
I've only let one piglet get away, so I've been extremely lucky since I've been doing this between 2 & 5 times a year for 30 years.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:21 AM   #77
ed308

The right ammo is critical when using the BLK for hunting. Like Shark and Stag said, the Barnes TX is a good choice. I think I read where it's based off the Barnes' TSX or TTSX. I've used both of those bullets in my 6.8 out to 200 yards and they've never let me down.

My only complaints with Barnes bullets is accuracy. I can never get their all cooper bullets to group better than 3/4 to 1". Probably cause I don't shoot those bullets exclusively out of the rifle. But that's good enough hunting until you extend the range too much.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:42 AM   #78
stagpanther

TAC TX--it's important to note the difference because it's opening speed is significantly lower. The bullet's dimensions are specifically designed to optimize usable case space of the 300 BLK while remaining a very efficient bullet ballistically.
Old April 8, 2018, 02:59 PM   #79
JeepHammer

This is personal opinion,not exact science...
What I see is most of are 200-300 yard shots.
If the shots are 150 yds or under, they seem to do OK, but not dead slam kills.

In the 200-300 range I see wounding a bunch... If the round doesn't do a dirt dive before it gets there.
The guys I hunt with are experienced, so not a lot of dirt diving on private hunts, but places open to the general public, a lot of mud shooting going on.

We all know shot placement is critical on a hog (or any large animal) and I'm just not seeing well placed shots putting hogs down when compared to full power rounds.
Lots of 'Spray & Pray' happens shortly there after, since most of what I see are semi-autos.
There aren't any 'Pistol' length barrels on hog hunt, particularly on night hunts, so it's not a barrel length issue...

Like I said, skeptical but open minded until I saw the round hunting, now I'm beginning to hate it...
I'm aware there is a horrible hog problem, I've seen 70 hogs pass through a single field in one night, we rarely see less than 20- or 30, so it's an issue, but I wasn't raised to 'Wound' anything.
Either you are that type of person, or you are not, I'm not.

It's up to you guys, I'm not a fan of the round and won't use it, the old .308 knocks them down fine even in semi-auto guns (I use an AR10 clone most) so I'm not having issues some others are.
If you all come up with a round that delivers, I'll reconsider.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:14 PM   #80
Sharkbite

Ok, i think i see the problem.

The 300blk is NOT a replacement for the 308 win. Not even close. It was built to offer increased performance over a 223 in short barreled AR’s. It does that. It gives AK power in a reliable AR, without the problems of trying to run x39 ammo in that platform.
Old April 8, 2018, 03:45 PM   #81
JeepHammer

Never had 'Problems' running 7.62x39 in an AR, just get the correct lower for AK mags and you are off to the races.
Never had issues with SBR in AR format, just didn't deny the velocity loss from the short barrel.
Never had issues with the .308 being shortened, but again, velocity loss. .308 still got the job done.

I also never saw the point in cutting down an AR action, slapping a 'Pistol' barrel on it, then cutting the case volume down reducing propellent volume, then, just to top it off, putting a .30 cal RIFLE bullet in that case.
Just seems like the long way around the block and a crap ton of work on both the firearm & load development.
Which brings us right around to the point again... 'WHY?'...
What's the PURPOSE of the round/firearm when there are truck loads of rounds/firearms that have proven themselves and are a butt load cheaper to buy & shoot?

You guys are locked into the .300BO, you have some vested interest, I don't.
If I 'Liked' the round, or chopped down ARs, I'd own one...
I just don't see the point, or a use for a .300BO in civilian life other than bragging rights or short range paper punching.
It's a lot of money to punch holes in paper plates, I've seen what it does hunting, just don't see a place for it in my gun safe.
I'm mostly .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, .308 & .30-06, but down to a couple .30-06 rifles...
Mix in some antique firearms, cowboy guns & novelties and there you have it.
Other than a couple Sharps rifles & a couple .17HMRs, nothing exotic.

I have ZERO need to blur the line between pistol & rifle.
I haven't found a use for a 'Square Wheel' as a civilian, the round ones work just fine!
Old April 8, 2018, 03:55 PM   #82
JeepHammer

Just to let you know, the term 'AR Pistol' is an oxymoron.
It's like saying 'M14 Pistol' or '50 BMG Pistol'.
It's like chopping the stock & barrel off a lever action rifle.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:00 PM   #83
ed308

TAC TX--it's important to note the difference because it's opening speed is significantly lower. The bullet's dimensions are specifically designed to optimize usable case space of the 300 BLK while remaining a very efficient bullet ballistically.

Yes. Would have to be in order to work in the BLK.

Last edited by ed308; April 8, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old October 4, 2021, 05:50 AM   #84
LeoHard

The adjustable gas block is a must need nowadays. I was shooting with factory M4 gas blocks and was having problems with the 0.20 MOA adjustment. After building my custom upper, I had to make these gas blocks. If you create an upper from scratch, you'll need adjustable gas blocks. After shooting a milsim, or a bit distance, and then doing a long-range session, you'll want flexible gas blocks. My advice si to get one from elementarmament.com. They have the best one that is made from high-quality materials.
Old October 5, 2021, 04:40 PM   #85
MarkCO

Nope, if built correctly, you don't need adjustable gas. But the correct build requires barrels that are actually built with some forethought. And if you do need an adjustable gasblock, nope, much better ones than the Odin.
Old October 6, 2021, 05:13 AM   #86
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Nope, if built correctly, you don't need adjustable gas. But the correct build requires barrels that are actually built with some forethought. And if you do need an adjustable gasblock, nope, much better ones than the Odin.
If not the Odin, why not? What would be your best suggestion, and why? Not trying to start something, I’m just curious and would like to know what the differences are.
Old October 6, 2021, 07:10 AM   #87
imashooter

Quote:
Yep. Simple and very effective weapon for its intended role. Perhaps an AGB is of benefit when suppressed and using box sub - ammunition. Otherwise, not required if assembled by a person of knowledge. Regarding the term "pistol", that is strictly a legal term which is now commonly used thanks to the feds.
Old October 6, 2021, 10:24 AM   #88
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
If not the Odin, why not? What would be your best suggestion, and why? Not trying to start something, I’m just curious and would like to know what the differences are.
I posted my recomendation on the first page of this thread. Superlative Arms.

The Odin, like most of the others, just won't last. The adjustment gets eroded and you just get more and more gas, nullifying the intent.
Old October 7, 2021, 05:06 AM   #89
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I posted my recomendation on the first page of this thread. Superlative Arms.

The Odin, like most of the others, just won't last. The adjustment gets eroded and you just get more and more gas, nullifying the intent.
Ah, yes I guess I had read that back in February when you posted and had forgotten what you posted. Thanks, good info and well stated.
Old October 7, 2021, 12:29 PM   #90
stagpanther

I agree with Mark, I use SA as my over-all 1st choice in adjustables--I have a couple of Odin bocks--but I believe they are really bleed-offs as opposed to true adjustable.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM.