The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 08:53 PM   #151
just one question

well

I thought about getting one then i heard they blow up. And i prefer not to be called lefty.

Do they really blow up?????
Old May 16, 2005, 09:39 PM   #152
armedandsafe

Quote:
Do they really blow up?????
I've heard that, also. From several sources. I've tracked down the mother-in-law, then her boyfriend, then his cousin, then her college roommate, then HER secretary, but i haven't actually gotten to the originator of that story. Yet.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old May 17, 2005, 08:37 AM   #153
Davis

The highest praise lavished upon Hi-Points seem to come from those with very low posts. The praise also reads very, very similar. And this comes from many, many boards not just this one.

To put a point on it, I believe that the majority of low-post number support for Hi-Points comes from seminar posters, to borrow a term from Limbaugh. They are too similar, the language too similar, the styles too similar, the phrases too similar. There is a playbook that is being used. These boards have been around way too long for the biggest Hi-Pointers to have so few posts on so many boards.

Now, some of you folks here are legitimate, so if you are, this isn't pointed to you. But many of these posts are not.

Davis
Old May 17, 2005, 09:08 AM   #154

I have not been following this thread, although appearently at some point I made a post on it: since I keep getting the e-mail saying someone has posted on the thread.

Davis, you don't look like you have a very high post count either. I am not sure what that is supposed to mean, but you brought it up.

Edit: I went back and read what I had to say three years ago (or whatever it was). I had something postive to say about Hi-Point and I have more than a few posts on this board.

I don't understand a couple things about threads such as this: #1) why people who have no actual hands-on experience with a product insist on posting about the subject anyway. 2) Why people go on a witch hunt over a product they don't really know anything about. 3) Why some people try to discourage other people from getting into the shooting sports.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:15 PM   #155
Davis

If you would like to visit Gunboards, you'll note well over 1,000 posts. However, I would hardly call above 100 posts "very low" as referenced by my quote below.

"The highest praise lavished upon Hi-Points seem to come from those with very low posts."

"Now, some of you folks here are legitimate, so if you are, this isn't pointed to you. But many of these posts are not."

I would think, 444, that the above statement would refer to you. But, if you wish to call me a kettle or pot, please do so. As to my statement, I stand behind it.
Old May 17, 2005, 02:33 PM   #156
Damn it Dino!

Hi-Point 380 ACP Owners...

Please help! I am new to all of this. I have all ways wanted a hand gun but am on a TIGHT budget. I found this site and read what people had to say. So I decided to buy a brand spankin new Hi-Point 380 ACP. The price was right, comes with a life-time no questions asked warrenty. I thought what the heck. Bought the gun and 2 extra clips, 2 boxes of Winchester 380 auto 95 gr. full metal jackets ammo and went off to the local range. Keep in mind this is a whole new world for me but I like it. I proceed to fireing, and after a couple of shots... it jams, and jams, and for a change of pace it jams again. After 100 rounds I had 13 jams. Each time the shell being ejected didn't. Is there something I am doing wrong or should I just send it back.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:05 PM   #157
Davis

As to my point, the very low posters may be Hi Point plants placed to make the product look good and are not legitimate posts. Some may be absolutely genuine, but many I would wager are not. That is my point.

Davis
Old May 17, 2005, 03:20 PM   #158
Dropped Hammer

I once knew this guy, who had a friend , that lived next to this one guy who knew someone who had this uncle who was a neighbor to this one lady who worked at a factory where the janitor's grandma had a grandson whose friend had an aunt whose daughter use to go to school with a guy who had a brother whose cousin once shot a hi- point and said it was complete JUNK...I've never shot one or owned one or even held one but I can tell you this Never ever buy one even if you can't afford anything else. and plus they're UGLY!!!..Just save your money until you can buy a good gun like a Les Baer custom 1911...Sure they cost 2 grand but at least they are'nt crappy hi points...

By the way I do own a hi point 995 carbine and absolutly love it ...it's my plinker, my varmit smasher, my indoor range "Rifle", and the only 9mm weapon I care to own...Sure I own much more expensive guns now but there was once a time in which the hi point was all I could afford and I've kept it all this time...It has been a great firearm for me...
Old May 18, 2005, 01:32 AM   #159
hummelsander

Dino,

Sometimes the magazines are too tight so that they do not allow the bullet to chamber properly. You may need to spread the front portion of the mag just a fraction. Also, make sure you have a firm grip on the gun when you pull the trigger...a limp wrist can cause failure to ejects (FTE). And, although it might be embarassing, ask the range master for a couple of pointers on proper shooting techniques. Most range masters are more than willing to help you or at least point you toward a training class in your area.
Old May 18, 2005, 02:13 AM   #160
hummelsander

Old May 18, 2005, 07:59 AM   #161
Te Anau

My Hi-Point comp 9 works--PERIOD!
Its been more reliable than my CZ-75.What does that say??????
Old May 18, 2005, 09:14 AM   #162

My 9mm works fine (with a generous amount of oil)

Hello everyone, this is my first post and it will be about my Hi-Point 9mm. I got it about 3 months ago and have about 500 rounds through it. When I first shot it I lubed it up just as do my other handguns. It jammed about twice each magazine. At first I thought it might be the mag so I cleaned it very well, and it continue to jam, so I got some of the Remington spray oil and put on a good layer in the gun and it has worked fine ever since. Now don't get me wrong, it is no Glock or Witness, it still jams, bu not to the point of insanity. As for accuracy, I can hit bottles at 25 yds. and thats fine for me. It is primarily a camping gun that if I lose it, I won't really care. Paid $129 for it.
Old October 2, 2005, 06:33 AM   #163
fhp490

I have sold a lot of High points. Never had a return . I have had 1 repair because some ones " brother took it apart" and did not know how to put it together again.
As to the snobs They should be glad the citizens are arming themselves.
Tha is what keep America Free
Old October 2, 2005, 06:59 AM   #164
wingman

Quote:
As to my point, the very low posters may be Hi Point plants placed to make the product look good and are not legitimate posts. Some may be absolutely genuine, but many I would wager are not. That is my point.

Oh, OH, we've been caught.
Old October 2, 2005, 11:47 AM   #165
CajunBass

Mine works, but what do I know? I've got a low post count.

Has Hi-Point been around as long as this thread?
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 2, 2005, 03:38 PM   #166
Clone

Quote:
the very low posters may be Hi Point plants placed to make the product look good and are not legitimate posts

guess im a plant to i only have 128 posts
Old October 2, 2005, 05:57 PM   #167
Pietro Beretta

I have a low post count, so I guess you can disgard this post right now.

I OWN a Hi-Point. I was turned on to it by a friend, also my brother bought one as well.

Its heavy for a polymer firearm, Its big/clunkey/ugly. The trigger has a bit of creep, and the trigger pull is very poor as well. Their are machineing marks inside of the firearm, not smooth whatsoever. The egronomics are poor, and is akward to hold compared with my CZ or XD. Their magazines are poor due to the fact that when loading it, you need to make sure that the rounds are pointing up and not down. When trying to shoot hollow points, the edge of the hollow point will catch on the feed ramp causing a FTF.

The only time I have a FTF with a FMJ is when the nose of the bullet was pointed down in the magazine. I no longer try to fire hollow points in the hi-point anymore. ALSO I will have a FTF if I dont let the slide close from the force of the spring.

So If you are using FMJ ammo, and load the magazine properly it will fire.

After getting my CZ/XD/Colt/Beretta/ the hi-point no longer sees the light of day.

I think its a great plinking gun for 120$. However once you get into higher quality you wont look back, at least I didnt.

Also any firearm can blow up, also known as a kB! (KaBooM!) Just look at the compact .40 glocks /flame ON!
Old October 2, 2005, 06:39 PM   #168
donberry

Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta - it was nice to see a reply on the bad points of the gun instead of just saying it is trash - throw it away.
Many of us do appreciate answers like this that are from experience and seem much more helpful and do not tell us it will blow up in our face etc etc...

I like my C9 - very reliable so far and I have not had any jams once the clip was broken in (8 rounds jammed at first - 7 did not) My opinion is Pietro gives some pretty good advice. Now while I am saving for a nicer weapon, I have a pretty reliable pistol that will do some pretty good damage while I am waiting.

One great thing about the 9mm, ammo is so cheap. 11.00 per 100, you can buy a C9 and a thousand rounds of ammo for 200.00. After shooting a thousand rounds, if you can not hit what you are aiming at, you need a 12 gauge.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:11 PM   #169
imur_huckle_berry

Hi-Point

I have a very low post count, so please overlook this post! )

As I posted in another thread, I own every caliber Hi-Point makes because I couldn't believe the price when I found them. Though I can not begin to compare them with my other "higher quality" weapons, I have never experienced any problems with mine and I have put a combined total of close to 10,000 rounds through them. For a toss around plinker, I think you can't lose, for MY money it was well spent.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:40 PM   #170
Javelin Man

low post count

I, also, have a low post count so my opinion of Hi-Points cannot be considered. I do, however, have experience with Hi-POints, so I guess some of you would consider my opinion based on what the pistol and carbine have done for me, rather than hearing a bad report from a brother's, neighbor's, secretary's, boyfriend's, father's opinion who has never held on, much less fired one.

As like most Hi-Point owners, I am pleased with my firearm. It has not malfunctioned since I bought it. I haven't run thousands of rounds through it, but my .45 has fired very well and accurately. If there is a downfall of the pistols, I'd point to the magazines. They could be the cause of most feeding problems.

Someone said they blow up, but I've never heard of one blowing up before. Does that make them better than Glocks? I wouldn't place them higher than Glocks, but then I've never fired a Glock. Glocks don't feel good in my hand, and that comes from someone who shoots a Hi-Point. Good for the people who like the Glocks, they have a quality weapon which some others say have ND's and kabooms. At least they have good magazines.

But what do I know, I have a low number of posts.
Old October 2, 2005, 07:54 PM   #171
Fish Head

I don't own a high point but after reading this whole thread I think I will have to start looking for one! If for no other reason than to add fuel to the fire on this thread (note my low post count also-- )

If the whole point is to shoot and have fun for as little cash as possible count me in!! I don't have a 9mm maybe I'll look at that caliber. Again, not knowing anything about Hi-point, what calibers do they typically come in? I like the CHEAP aspect of the 9mm.

FH
Old October 2, 2005, 10:21 PM   #172
JohnKSa
Staff

HI POINT PISTOLS... Whats the deal??

Yeah, what's the deal?

Why are so many people registering just to post on this thread?

Anybody else notice that this is the only thread on the entire SEMI-AUTO forum that has a rating? And not just a rating, but a 5 star rating--as good as it gets. Must be TONS of people who are just thrilled to death to hear how great HI-Points are.

Oh no, my mistake--there IS another rated thread on this forum (I only went back a month or so.) And what a COINCIDENCE--it's also about Hi-points. Yeah, nothing suspicious going on here...

Last edited by JohnKSa; October 2, 2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old October 2, 2005, 10:31 PM   #173
donberry

reason

I believe the reason is because if the idiot negatives you read, which in turn makes us Hi-point owners a little overzealous. You read so many posts saying how they are crap, they jam, they blow up, they are inaccurate, etc etc Then when we "risk" it due to the cost and find out pretty much all of it is a lie.........
Are they a top of the line pistol.......nope.
Is it a pretty darn reliable pistol and the most fun you can have for a hundred bucks....u betcha.

Also, maybe a lot of new people are registered just because they could afford to buy a pistol due to the affordability.
Old October 2, 2005, 10:44 PM   #174
JohnKSa
Staff

Is there a Hi-point forum out there somewhere? I mean, how and from where did all you guys get recruited to come and post?

BTW, there's another active Hi-point thread on the forum! Time to pile on over there--it doesn't even have a rating yet! You guys are falling down on the job.
Old October 2, 2005, 11:47 PM   #175
Ignition

actually i think there is a legit reason you can attribute low post count people and their posting about hi-point firearms

you will find alot of people who are looking to getting into guns/shooting/self defense... and maybe havent had the great backgrounds that alot of us grew up around....

they first enter a gun shop and low and behold here is a gun that is made in the US. has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked... and is pretty cheap.

They buy their firearm and then say, hey... i got some questions about it or i wonder if there are other people that have bought this gun like myself.... so they go online and find this gun forum to talk on... and Look right up at the top... a thread about a Gun that i just bought!

-----
seriously... to the blow hard armchair commandos that have a problem with ANYONE in this world owning any type of hi-point without ever owning one themselves, its kind of pathetic.. especially considering that no where in the second amendment is anything mentioned about the right to keep, bear, and IMPORT?! arms

just imagine if ATF by executive order decides.... hmmm guess what... no more importation of any type of firearms or ammo... i highly doubt that day will come but to be soooo down on a firearms company made for US people by the US people.

Hell, i would love to spend the 17k to pick up a class 3 full auto rifle... but its not in my budget.

-
personally i would never carry a hi-point for my personal protection, i have other handguns that better serve this purpose.

but for teaching somone to shoot, a gun maybe to pass on to your kids, a truck/atv gun, or just overall plinking... there is nothing wrong for me with a hi-point and IF and when it breaks down... guess what... YOU GET IT REPLACED FOR FREE!

just imagine if our cars had the same type of warranty hi-point had...

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Closed Thread