The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2002, 12:38 PM   #1
SteveC

Question for FN GP Comp owners

Someone pointed out that the FN GP Comp's leaf spring can cause peening on the barrel lugs, because the lug engagement is compromised.

I'm curious - has anyone ever personally experienced this? I know that several GP Comp owners have said they've seen no such problem, even after thousands of rounds.

I haven't put many rounds through mine yet, but from what I can tell, the gap between the top of the barrel hood and the inside of the slide looks tight enough to ensure proper lug engagement.

But I'm just an amateur, and my gun hasn't seen that much use. What have others seen?

Steve
Old November 15, 2002, 01:01 PM   #2
Kahrma from Shooters

That is Jeff who goes around saying that, he got it from C&S and I think it's a way to get more work! C&S cuts the spring and adds metal to the cam lug for about $100. Ask the boys at the HP board how many rounds they have on their GP.
Old November 15, 2002, 09:06 PM   #3
SteveC

Kharma,

Thanks for the reply - I know that on the FN HiPower site, nobody has seen it happen, but I wondered if maybe someone here had seen it happen.

Steve
Old November 16, 2002, 01:22 AM   #4
Jeff OTMG

Yep, I have been shooting mine since the mid-80's and have thousands of rounds through it. Laughridge showed me the 'lips' on the upper barrel lugs. No build up done. I had my smith remove the spring, a simple operation with a reduced Dremel cut off wheel. I did buy a replacement barrel with polygonal rifling. It uses a different type of muzzle weight with a spring loaded ball bearing that pushes against the front of the slide pulling the barrel forward. That pulls the lugs up, tighter into battery. Seemed like a good idea and worked for me.